Outlawing baggy pants (Moved to General Conversation forum)

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Outlawing baggy pants (Moved to General Conversation forum)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823/ap_on_fe_st/atlanta_sagging_pants

Atlanta is attempting to pass an ordinance outlawing a person showing their underwear. This includes bra straps. Be carefuly ladies, if that strap peeks through you'll get a fine and be lumped together we guys who play with themselves in public!

Clearly this will never be passed. It's quite silly.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Clearly

pariahjane wrote:
Clearly this will never be passed. It's quite silly.

I would hope not but from the article:

Quote:

Earlier this year, the town council in Delcambre, La., passed an ordinance that carries a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail for exposing underwear in public. Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.

I looks like similar ones have passed elsewhere.

I would like to see a national ordinance that preachers/ministers and their wives have to dress according to the Jim and Tammy Faye Baker dress code.... badly coiffed hair with too much hairspray, maybe even shellac and the wives must wear three pounds of makeup. This would aid in targeting tax evaders, scheisters and all out con men. LOL

rational_terp
User is offlineOffline
Why are they so concerned

Why are they so concerned about what other people are wearing? And how can it be a "major concern" as the sponsor of the law says? Aren't there more important things to do, which really need some solutions? If we have laws like this, then we don't have the right to say anything about women being forced to wear burkas.

The poll at http://www.cbs46.com/news/13955560/detail.html is probably as scientific as the recent poll at cnn.com about religion/atheism, but the results show a majority in favour of such a law.
57% Yes
27% No
16% Who cares?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
While I don't like catching

While I don't like catching glimpses of some chick's thong sticking out of her pants, I don't think outlawing it is the answer.  If someone wants to dress trashy, that's their perogative.  It's certainly not offensive to show a little underwear.  Inappropriate, perhaps. 

There are more important things these people should be worrying about.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answer to the problem:  Go

Answer to the problem:  Go Commando

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/28/nyregion/28pants.html

This is a town in Connecticut that wants to also ban saggy pants.  If people want to dress badly, that's their perogative.  What next, are we going to start fining girls if their skirts fall above the knee?

I think its disgusting to see a bunch of girls running around in midriff shirts with their muffin tops hanging out.  I'll still defend their right to wear it. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
These people are

These people are self-selecting themselves out of existence.  I cannot imagine who would employ them.  So, let them wear their saggy pants.   Perhaps,  a bus will hit them for crossing too slowly.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look, me and pariah go back

Look, me and pariah go back like babys and pacifiers, but this is where we part ways. I love to see girls in hip huggers with their thongs sticking out. Sorry jane but I say we need more of this not less.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Today my city newspaper

Today my city newspaper headline is:

Shreveport City Council to consider saggy pants ban

With low-hanging shorts hiding under a long shirt, Earnest Wright talks about what could be called trouble brewing.

"It's just a reason for the law to mess with us," said Wright, 24. "It's made specifically for us. As soon as they see you sagging, they'll run your name. ... There's going to be a lot of trouble."

Walking inside the downtown city bus station, Wright couldn't stop talking about the proposed rule banning sagging pants that goes before Shreveport City Council today as other young black men chimed in on what they called a ridiculous proposal.
But others used similar words to describe sagging, the fashion of wearing pants low off the hips, and thongs peeking from pants. The law would apply to men and women.

"That looks nasty," said 15-year-old Nicole Nash, adding that it isn't trendy anymore. "I wouldn't wear my drawers like that."

The rule, proposed by Councilman Calvin Lester, would make it unlawful for any person to appear in public wearing pants below the waist that expose skin or undergarments.

Some people think such a rule is long overdue as youngsters sporting the trend flash their underwear from low-rise jeans and sagging pants. Yet others think the proposal unfairly targets a certain group of people for their clothing choice and allows the government to tread into territory in which it has no place.

Others say Shreveport police, the ones who'd enforce the law, have more important issues to address.

"The goal of the ordinance is to correct a behavior of young people in general, to correct a behavior that has gotten out of control," Lester said, adding he has gotten support from across ethnic lines. "As a legislator you help correct a problem wherever it exists.

"I'm concerned that if certain patterns of behavior go unchecked, it leads to negative consequences," he said. "I think we've constructed an ordinance that deals with the issue and does not violate free speech."

If council members green light the proposed rule, anyone convicted of violations could face on first offense a fine of up to $25, or up to $100 if an amendment gets the OK, and up to one eight-hour day picking up trash or other court-appointed community service activities.

Repeated violations could result in a fine of up to $250 and up to four eight-hour days of community service.

"If that ... happens, we all (messed) up," Wright said, adding he doesn't have the money to pay fines. "I'm sagging, but you can't see my boxers."

Lake Charles gave the thumbs up earlier this month to an ordinance that mandates "pants worn by any person, regardless of age, be size appropriate and secured at the waist to prevent the pants from falling below the hips and causing any indecent exposure of his or her person or undergarments."

Parents get hit with a fine of $25 to $250 if a juvenile violates the ordinance, and both parents and the children could end up with community service.

But the city hasn't started enforcing it yet, said Lake Charles Police Chief Donald Dixon, who voiced concerns about enforcement before the ordinance was passed by council members.

Violating the law is a civil offense, but police could be forced to arrest someone if they refuse to sign a ticket, Dixon said. If someone failed to show up in court, would a bench warrant be issued for their arrest? Will police be required to go to court to testify, take photos to back their case and file offense reports?

"No one has answered those questions yet," he said. "We're kind of in a stand-by-and-wait attitude. "» I'll need some clarity from the city prosecutor."

If police are required to go to court, Dixon said he didn't foresee a whole lot of tickets being given.

Lafourche Parish has a similar law that took effect Aug. 10. However, no citations had been issued for violating that law as of Friday as the district attorney reviews the ordinance to determine if it's constitutionally sound, said Larry Weidel, a spokesman for the Lafourche Parish sheriff's office.

As the Lafourche Parish law is written, a woman could end up with a fine or community service if her bra strap is visible.

The ordinance makes it unlawful for any person to be nude, or partially nude, or in dress not becoming to his or her sex, or in any indecent exposure of his or her person or undergarments, in public.

First-time offenders face a fine of up to $50. The second offense results in a $100 fine with subsequent offenses being punishable by a $100 fine plus 16 hours of community service.

"It's going to be so difficult to enforce," Weidel said. "We worry about our plumbers, bathing beauties. ... We're concerned about how far this can go."

Enforcement of that law is being withheld until better definitions are given, he said, noting other existing laws on the books are being used.

Obscenity laws already exist in Louisiana. That's one reason the American Civil Liberties Union questions the need for anti-sagging laws.

"We haven't litigated this because it's brand new. We haven't seen this enforced anywhere," said Katie Schwartzmann, staff attorney for ACLU's state office.

But the nonprofit organization, known for stepping in to guard Americans' freedoms, has opinions on what Schwartzmann called a ridiculous ordinance.

"We live in a country where we operate from the basic premise that people are free to live their lives as they want," Schwartzmann said. "That's what we pride ourselves on as Americans. ... This is really a quintessential example of government overreaching into an area in which they have no business."

She wondered what would come next — a ban on the color black, the color of hairstyles. Others questioned whether cleavage and exposed stomachs would come next.

If the Shreveport rule gets approval, violators would land in city court.

Caddo Parish District Attorney Paul Carmouche likes the idea of the proposed rule, but he assumed there would be a number of attacks claiming the rule may be unconstitutional or vague, he said.

"What causes the violation? How low do the pants have to be — those sorts of things," he said. "It's going to be a difficult law to enforce as far as legal challenges brought up in court."

Julie Glass, assistant city attorney for Shreveport, said she has looked into the legality of the proposed rule. People might try to challenge such an ordinance on vagueness, but "this one is very succinct," she said. "I don't really think that will be a problem."

If Ruby Hensley's teenage son ever got caught wearing sagging pants that show his underwear, he would be paying the fine, not her, she said.

"It's inappropriate," she said.

But her son, 19-year-old Jonathan Hensley, said he doesn't really sag. "I'm classy. I don't sag mine."

Darrell Keaton, 17, who wears sagging pants, said: "It's a free country. You should be able to wear your clothes the way you want ... as long as no one sees your buttocks."

But, LaWarren Brown, a Shreveport parent, asked, "Who in their right mind wants to walk around showing their underwear?"

It shows your character, and those who do it are stereotyped by some, he added. "I think it should become a law if it gets to a point where it becomes indecent exposure."

Lester couldn't recall an issue that has sparked so much conversation in the public lately.

"All of this has spawned conversation and I think it's good. ... Our youth are very important, and the way they develop is something we all have interest in."

http://tinyurl.com/33nzal

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bring on the burkha!

Bring on the burkha!

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Answer to the

Susan wrote:

Answer to the problem: Go Commando

Win. 

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan is correct in that no

Susan is correct in that no underwear would be visible but according to the article, "The ordinance makes it unlawful for any person to be nude, or partially nude, or in dress not becoming to his or her sex, or in any indecent exposure of his or her person or undergarments, in public."

I wonder if this means cross dressers will now also be prosecuted? Will policemen in shortsleve shirts be considered "partially nude"?

Plumbers Beware!

http://www.keeseys.com/blog/archives/plumber.jpg

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: Look, me and

Gauche wrote:
Look, me and pariah go back like babys and pacifiers, but this is where we part ways. I love to see girls in hip huggers with their thongs sticking out. Sorry jane but I say we need more of this not less.

Gauche, I'm absolutely crushed. 

While I loathe staring at a piece of string wedged up some chick's butt, my real complaint is the 'muffin top', or the fat roll that spills over the top of the jeans and often hangs out from under midriff tops.  

Regardless, while I might be muttering off color things about these people under my breath, I will still defend their right to dress like total fucking twatwaffles.  

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the baggy pants

If the baggy pants ordinance passes, I'm going to propose one for my community.

Any clothing department that offers garments containing any spandex shall have two vertical posts 24 inches apart at each entrance.  Anyone who cannot walk between thoses posts may not purchase garments in that department.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always thought that baggy

I always thought that baggy pants showed a load of shit in them!

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shreveport green lights

Shreveport green lights saggy pants rule

Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover's signature and eight days could mean a change in the local sagging pants fashion scene or risk getting fined or stuck with community service.

The City Council approved a law 4-3 Tuesday that essentially bans people from publicly wearing pants below their waists, exposing skin or undergarments.

Voting for the rule were Calvin Lester, who authored the proposal, Bryan Wooley, Joyce Bowman and Ron Webb. Casting votes against the rule were Joe Shyne, Michael Long and Monty Walford.
No one on the council seemed to support sagging pants, but they differed on who and how the issue should be addressed.

"We need to raise up expectations," Lester said. "At the end of the day, the question becomes whether ... this council can exercise its authority to set what it believes are standards for this community. "» I think we not only have the power, we have the obligation."

He later used the example of the city's Allendale community as an example of what can happen when things are allowed to slide or just play out.

Shyne, however, argued that the sagging pants law isn't a cure for everything. "Sagging pants didn't cause our education system in the state of Louisiana to be where it is. "» We're getting to a point where we just want to legislate everything. After a while, we're going to let our police officers raise our kids. That's wrong."

The Police Department's plate is full, Shyne said, adding that it should be up to parents and that the city should be more concerned about crack houses and drug dealers.

After hearing from the city attorney about the constitutionality of the proposal, the measure narrowly gained approval.

"It's a matter of respect," Bowman said.

Enforcement of the law will be up to police.

"With any law, there are some challenges that may happen," Police Chief Henry Whitehorn said. "(But) the spirit of the law is on the sagging pants."

It will be up to police officers' discretion on when to give citations.

"Not everyone who speeds gets a ticket," city attorney Terri Scott said. "But speeding is still against the law."

As the proposal is written, someone wearing a bikini could be in violation and joggers who wear shorts below their waist could be in violation, Walford said, while pointing out what he called holes in the law. "There's no question in my mind that this will be challenged."

Lester called those holes subjective, saying he trusts judges and police officers to take into account the intent of the law. The council had the audacity to legislate smells of all things, he said.

Lester presented two amendments that were approved.

One increases the $25 maximum fine for the first offense to $100. Maximum fines for subsequent transgressions will be $150 for the second offense and $250 for the third offense. The penalties still include court-appointed community service activities, which can range from an eight-hour day picking up trash or up to four eight-hour days, depending on whether it is a first or subsequent offense.

The other amendment states that violators will be served with a summons instead of being arrested. That means a full search of violators would be prohibited by police. But they still would be able to conduct pat-down searches for their safety.

Glover said he plans to sign the proposal into law. It will take effect eight days afterward.

Others with similar laws include Mansfield, Delcambre, Kinder and Pointe Coupee Parish.

http://tinyurl.com/2du2m9

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if they'll go

I wonder if they'll go after the young girls when they're sunbathing.

Or men in Speedos.

If I lived in one of those communities, I'd be pretty upset if I called 9-1-1 because someone was breaking into my house and the police couldn't come because they were busy arresting someone for a Fashion Felony.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Gauche,

pariahjane wrote:

Gauche, I'm absolutely crushed.

While I loathe staring at a piece of string wedged up some chick's butt, my real complaint is the 'muffin top', or the fat roll that spills over the top of the jeans and often hangs out from under midriff tops.

Regardless, while I might be muttering off color things about these people under my breath, I will still defend their right to dress like total fucking twatwaffles.

Sorry pariahjane. I forget about that because I live in france. There's not really a muffin top epidemic here. So, yes I agree that can be a bit hard on the eyes, but I would still wager that somebody likes it.

If you like to see fat rolls pouring over the edge of somebody's waistband then sound off like you got a pair.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft