not happy/happy

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
not happy/happy

When I was baptized as a believer in '63 I see it now as my "coming out of Egypt" by means of the "blood of The Lamb". I then entered the "wilderness of doubts, complaining and confusion".

After several years of this wilderness - God helped me "cross over" the Jordan into "full assurance", focused on trusting Jesus only. I find this to be a great joy and secure state. When I trip up, I have a great forgiving Master.

The focus is difficult to maintain - there are a lot of distractions, but I see progress and that's encouraging. It's when I start trusting "partly in Jesus" and "partly in myself" that I start getting tripped up.

I have light in this fight - I can see my weaknesses but His strength. I can see I don't know the way but He does.

I have "deep peace of conscience". I can honestly say "I have sinned" and look at the sacrifice of Jesus and honestly say, "I am forgiven". My heart, mind, soul echo that. The Holy Spirit witnesses (I can't prove this but I discern it like a person can discern conscience).

The Word of God says I am secure in Christ. I believe that but I also am experiencing that personally. It is real to me.

I'm not afraid of death, though you don't get much practice. I am looking forward to continuing the unreachable goal of "knowing Jesus" - I can already sense eternity because I never get tired of focusing on Him. Eternity will never reach the end of exploring the greatness of Jesus.

The "wilderness of doubts and seeing double" wasn't satisfying - but "full assurance" is. In a sense I am in the "promised land" here on earth. Since I am happy in this I want to share it with anyone who is open to it.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Welcome to RRS.

Welcome to RRS.

I have inner peace and tranquility as well, happiness in my life and any tripping that i do, i do my best to ask forgiveness against those that i did wrong to. With it all no god, and never had go in my life, i have been a life long atheist, yeah there have been lesson to learn thoughout this life, as life i view is always about the experience and learning of those experiences, to pass it on to the next generation. I am glad that you have inner peace and happiness, and I to wish to share my happiness as well, and in all i shall show the path without the need of god. 

With this said, glad to see you here.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I also have an inner peace

I also have an inner peace no one can infringe on, but I must admit your use of "quotes" is really starting to get to me.Tongue out

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
How are ya'? That's right,

How are ya'? That's right, Bennett Brauer, back with another commentary. Thought you'd seen the last of old Bennett, perhaps? Thought the network bigwigs would have sent Bennett and his negative...."Q rating" on a slow boat to China? Well.. maybe I don't.. "look the part".. uh.. I'm not.. "svelte".. I don't.. "look comfortable on camera"... I don't.. "understand what's going on in the news." I'm not.. "likeable".. I don't.. "get along with people".. uh.. when I go to work, I don't.. "make eye contact".. I guess I.. don't.. "fit the mold". I.. don't.. "wear the latest clothes".. ir, even ones that don't.. "reek"! Uhh.. I don't.. "change my underwear".. uh.. I'm not "buff".. uh.. I don't have.. "firm breasts".. uh.. I don't.. "exercise". And when I do sweat, I don't.. "shower". I'm not.. "spic-and-span".. I don't.. "clean the area between my crotch and legs". But, for the time being, I guess the network.. "enforcers".. are opting for my reproach, until Joe Consumer tells thems he'd rather get his two cents from commentators who don't.. "make babies cry".. and don't.. "drink maple syrup straight from the bottle".. and don't.. .."leave old, dried-up deodorant cakes under their arm for weeks at a time".. and, uh.. I'm flying. I'm flying! I'm flying! [ the wires get caught in the lights atop the Update set, as Chris Farley hangs little more than three feet above the floor ] Holy Schnikes!

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephiboseth wrote: I'm not

mephiboseth wrote:
I'm not afraid of death, though you don't get much practice. I am looking forward to continuing the unreachable goal of "knowing Jesus"

I'm not afraid of death either. It would be nice to live to be 150 but hey, we all gotta die sometime.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Jesus is ALIVE!". But nowhere on the bumper sticker did it mention where Jesus was. If he's alive, where is he?

I'm not questioning your happiness. You sound sincere. But I think maybe the "unreachable goal of knowing Jesus" is unreachable because Jesus is dead. I would think it would be impossible to get to know somebody if they're dead.

To me it would be the same as the unreachable goal of knowing Abraham Lincoln. I could know about Abe Lincoln because there's been lots written about him. Also, he wrote lots about himself and his thoughts when he was alive. But it would be hard to actually know him because he died 142 years ago. And as far as I know, nobody has seen him since. So I really can't have a conversation with Lincoln to get to know him because he's dead. And if I was having conversations with him.....well, I'd probably need some serious medication for that.

So I can understand why getting to know Jesus would be an unreachable goal.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome

Thanks for the welcome, and I feel welcome.  It is refreshing to talk to people frankly and honestly and wrestle with ideas.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
knowing Jesus

I like the image/picture you chose.

I believe Jesus is alive.  He said if a man (or woman) believes in Him He and God and the Holy Spirit will come and make their home in that person.  

Jesus doesn't talk out loud to me but I believe He and God and the Holy Spirit is living in me and in people that believe in Him.

I believe I have a living relationship with me and it is the opposite of gravity in its effects on my inner man.  

The relationship continually opens new rooms to explore in The Word of God and the relationship within.  This is my personal experience and experimental find of the reality of the Scriptures, my spirit, and the Holy Spirit given to me when I was born again of the water and the Spirit.  I find it all to be real.  It is all real to me.  Jesus is real to me.

I can't imagine ever getting bored with this focus or adventure! 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
peace and "quotes"

I guess I have become quite a "quote" user and am trying to correct it.  Thanks for mentioning it. 

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: I

mephibosheth wrote:

Sounds like you and me are in the same place, just not on the same page.

In the summer of 2007 I find myself sailing through life. And at age 55, just knowing that I've probably only got 20 good years left (if I'm lucky) I'm trying to enjoy as much of it as I can. It's not always easy because problems pop up now and then that need my attention. But so far they've all been little problems.

I don't take expensive vacations or buy a lot of stuff. Just sitting on my front porch with my feet propped up feels good to me. The other night I grabbed a beer from the refrigerator and climbed up on the roof of my house. I took my portable CD player to listened to some "Pink Floyd" while I was up there. I laid back and looked up at the millions of stars above me. I could see Venus on the southern horizon and the half moon in the east. I must have been up there for a couple of hours just gazing into the galaxy.

I somehow feel a connection to the universe. I know that probably sounds corny as hell but it's the only way I know how to describe it. Some people might call that spiritual. I don't know.

I always thought spiritual meant being religious. I'm not religious. So far I haven't found any evidence of a god. And I just don't see the need to even look for it. What's the point? Life is good as it is. I'm a good person. If there's a god out there who wants to punish me for not believing in him, then I don't want to be in his company in the first place. After all, if he's really a good god, then why doesn't he just reveal himself instead of sending millions of people to hell for not believing in him?

So how do I think the universe got here? I don't know. The only thing that I do know for sure is that time is on the move.

Thirty years ago in September of 1977 the US sent a space probe called Voyager into outer space with a message on it that said, "We are the children from planet earth." After 30 years of traveling at 40,000 miles per hour Voyager is just now leaving the solar system and entering deep space.

By the time Voyager approaches the closest star to our solar system, it will be 300,000 years since the night I laid on my roof and gazed at the stars. There will be no trace that the night ever happened or that I ever existed.

Life is short. Enjoy the good stuff.

Prang
Prang's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suppose in my every day

I suppose in my every day life I tend to subscribe to "what's true for you is true enough" to paraphrase and continue the quote themeTongue out... To a point, the point where another person's fantasy/reality is imposed on me is when I get a little grumpy. I am happy as anyone I suppose, every day has it's ups and downs, no sense sweating the small stuff.

I don't have to trust anyone much at all, much less look toward a higher power of any sort to give meaning or purpose, much like every day has it's challenges and triumphs, every day has it's own meaning... I think inner peace or whatever you want to call it comes from within ultimately. Pursuing some ethereal embodiment for that when there is no real proof if it exists or if you are pursuing the right one seems like a fool's errand(no accusation, just a figure of speech).

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  RickRebel, Your story

RickRebel,

Your story reminded me of something I have wondered about - how far can the eye see? You saw Venus for one, so I guess you have that range.

I'm speaking from the perspective of faith which by definition can't be proved. To me it's interesting that the analogy of the sense of sight is used in scriptures to describe faith. The eye of faith can see beyond death - that's father than Venus - but of course it can't be proved.

I haven't seen much that can be proved in these discussions, and I'm not trying to be irritating but fit in with the frankness I like around here. For instance, you say you are happy and I believe it, but really you could only prove it to yourself (which is enough for you).

I have seen people mention here that faith in Jesus or however they described it was tried and didn't work for them. It does work for me but I can only say that honestly but can't prove it.

I can only offer it to those who might believe me as I believe you.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Prang, I am at a loss to

Prang,

I am at a loss to understand how you can impose beliefs on another person.  I can understand if you mean making kids go to school or church, but how do you impose with adults in this society?   

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: Your

mephibosheth wrote:
Your story reminded me of something I have wondered about - how far can the eye see? You saw Venus for one, so I guess you have that range.

Mephibosheth,

Anybody with normal sight has that range. If you know where to look you can see Venus with the naked eye just standing out in your yard at night. You can also see Saturn and Mars. It's cool.

Like I said earlier, you seem like you're pretty satisfied with life and I think that's great. You say you're happy and I see no reason not to believe you. Enjoying the journey is what's it's all about.

Prang
Prang's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

Prang,

I am at a loss to understand how you can impose beliefs on another person. I can understand if you mean making kids go to school or church, but how do you impose with adults in this society?

Think about your local library as one example, think about how many books the fundies would like to remove from those shelves... To directly answer your question, I suppose you couldn't make me believe as you do (without a rubber hose and a cattle prod)but other's beliefs can impact other's lives...

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: I also

xamination wrote:
I also have an inner peace no one can infringe on, but I must admit your use of "quotes" is really starting to get to me.Tongue out

A-fucking-men! 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Prang, I hear the idea

Prang,

I hear the idea of don't try to shove your ideas down my throat, but in my perspective that was what was happening before I became a Christian.

In my perspective that's what the devil exactly does - holds hostage and shoves things in your life and tells you you're happy.  But I was miserable.   

Jesus has freed me from that.    

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: In my

mephibosheth wrote:
In my perspective that's what the devil exactly does - holds hostage and shoves things in your life and tells you you're happy.

As you say, that is your perspective. And a perspective is a point of view not necessarily based on facts. In fact, the idea of an evil, invisible force controlling people's thoughts goes against the laws of physics. There's absolutely no evidence that this is happening outside the fantasy of the mind.

What if someone you know sincerely believed that aliens were controlling his thoughts? Would you believe him?

What if somebody told you that Jesus was sending him messages through his dog, or that he saw Satan's face in scrambled eggs? Would you not think this person might be delusional or maybe on drugs?

If you truly have peace of mind and everything is going well in your life, then I'm confused as to why you came into this forum. Are you trying to convince us that your beliefs are real or are you trying to convince yourself?

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mephibosheth, Just curious:

Mephibosheth,

Just curious: is your belief in a god completely based on what he's done in your life, or do you have something more than anecdotal evidence of his existence?  Did you truly ponder and rationalize your newfound belief in god, or did you convert solely because of your personal feelings?

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  RickRebel, It's pretty

RickRebel,

It's pretty hard to prove unseen things - such as your happiness and peace. I am speaking from the faith perspective so I feel free to talk about what I experience, admitting it can't be proved, like a lot of unseen things you can't prove either.

As for the examples you gave (alien control, dog channel) - no I wouldn't believe that myself; however I might believe that they believe that.  

Like I said, I am here for understanding. One example is I have read people who said faith in Jesus and God and the Holy Spirit didn't work for them. I am simply sharing that is does work for me.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Dr T, (please tell me

Dr T,

(please tell me how to quote the point I am addressing)

My belief in God started to happen when I saw it working in some other people and wanted what it was though I didn't know.  I was moved by friendships, chapel singing (1200) like I had never heard.  

Anyway, I started reading the Bible by myself in my dorm room from the first.  When I got to a certain point it became clear to me that it was all true and I had heard enough from preaching that I knew what to do at that step.  

You mentioned the question of feelings - one side benefit from bipolar for me has been to learn you can't trust your feelings.  The manic side was seductive and felt good but it was leading to a cliff.  The other side - depression - was a weight that had to be lifted but not trusted.  Depression would make you feel like things won't go well at work - stay home.  You can't trust that, you have to lift against it.  Etc on feelings.  

My belief in God is based first on Jesus.  My examination of everything He said and did has led me to conclude He is perfect in every way.  I have total confidence in Him being everything He says He is.  What He did moves me to respond with all my heart, soul, mind and strength.  The death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus is all totally real to me.  I believe it enough to die for it if necessary.  

I find spiritual delicacies everywhere in the scriptures.  My favorite proverb is 4.23 (RSV) "Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life".  That proverb works for me.  If I keep weeds pulled, good things grow.  That's just one example, but I find the Bible to be light years above all other reading.  Living by faith is greatly understated as to the joy it is.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:
.....like a lot of unseen things you can't prove either.

Yes. There are some things that I can't see. Like air. I can't see air. But, I bet I can find tons of trustworthy evidence from hundreds of years of research by many respected scientists that air molecules do indeed exist.

Also, I've never seen Japan. But I've seen thousands of photos and video of Japan. And I've talked to Japanese people from Japan. I bet I can find tons of trustworthy evidence that Japan does indeed exists.

I've never seen the Land of Oz. But I've seen a book about the Land of Oz and about a Wizard who lives there and a mean witch who does evil things. I've also seen a movie about a little girl who travels to Oz. But I don't have to do research to see whether or not the Land of Oz really exists because my common sense tells me that the story is only a fairy tale.

But what if everybody I knew and trusted believed in the Land of Oz? What if eighty-five percent of the America public, and billions of other people all over the world believed in the Land of Oz? What if I had been told since birth that the Land of Oz was a real place? What if I had always been told that the author of the book and the producer of the movie were inspired by God? What if I was taught by people who worshipped the Wizard that all I have to do is find the yellow brick road and it will lead me to Emerald City where the Wizard will grant all my wishes. Would I believe in Oz then?

Most likely I would. After all, if everybody else believed in a magical land over the rainbow, then I'd probably believe in it too. But hopefully my common sense would help me see that a lack of trustworthy evidence for Oz meant that Emerald City and the Wizard and the witch and the little girl were only make-believe.

Would it still be okay to believe in the fairy tale anyway because it felt good? Sure. But to me, living in the real world makes more sense than living in the world of make-believe. And when stuff makes more sense, life is better.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  RickRebel, It's true we

RickRebel,

It's true we aren't in a vacuum in this world of all sorts of beliefs, and it comes on us at a bad time in our life - when we are inexperienced.  

For example I remember when I was 5 or so and walked about a mile out in the field to see what my uncle and the hired hand were doing.  They had cleared some brush and were getting ready to burn it and also had a dead hog they had thrown on the pile.  My uncle sent me back to the house for the ketsup.  

My grandma tried and tried to convince me that my uncle was teasing me about this but I believed him.  They laughed and laughed when I came with the ketsup.  

We have that sort of crap to sort through.  I have sorted through the Oz thing and the Bible is totally different to me.  It is all deeply meaningful to me.  I have tasted it and crave more and more. 

You mentioned Japan and air.  There's gravity and magnetism too - used and evidenced but not understood - even by your physics books.    

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

(please tell me how to quote the point I am addressing)

There is a tutorial on how to use the Quote Function here

Enjoy!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:   There is a

Susan wrote:

There is a tutorial on how to use the Quote Function here.

Enjoy!

See if this works - looks like it did! Tx

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: Jesus

mephibosheth wrote:

Jesus doesn't talk out loud to me but I believe He and God and the Holy Spirit is living in me and in people that believe in Him.

It must be kind of crowded in there.   Didn't the churches used to burn people for believing they were inhabited by spirits?

mephibosheth wrote:

I believe I have a living relationship with me and it is the opposite of gravity in its effects on my inner man.

This is confusing me.   You have a living relationship with you?   Is that some kind of dual personality disorder?   The opposite of gravity would be a force that repels matter.   Any force of that kind acting on your "inner man" (once again the dual personality thing) would have pretty disastrous, not to mention messy, effects. 

mephibosheth wrote:
I find it all to be real. It is all real to me. Jesus is real to me.

No doubt it does seem real to you but think about what you have just said.   I've seen things you probably can't imagine that seemed real at the time but on further reflection turned out the result of large doses of psychedelic drugs.   The only other cases I know of where people make such claims they are usually committed as insane.   Imagine you went to a psyciatrist and told him you believed that three other entities were inhabiting your body.   Just because you name these three entities God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit means you can get away with it.

mephibosheth wrote:

Good because this adventure is called Life.   I prefer to live it on my own terms, taking responsibility for my actions, making my own decisions and mistakes, trying to learn and improve myself all the while.

"The World is my country, science my religion" - Christiaan Huygens

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote: I bet I

RickRebel wrote:

I bet I can find tons of trustworthy evidence from hundreds of years of research by many respected scientists that air molecules do indeed exist.

Bet you can't.   There is no such thing as an air molecule.   Air is merely a mixture of gasses and water vapour.   It contains roughly (by molar content/volume) 78% nitrogen 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, trace amounts of other gases, and a variable amount (average around 1%) of water vapor.

Off-topic I know and pedantic as hell but the scientist in me just wouldn't let it lie (how much do I win?) :P 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
snafu wrote:

snafu wrote:
mephibosheth wrote:

It must be kind of crowded in there. Didn't the churches used to burn people for believing they were inhabited by spirits?

mephibosheth wrote:

Thanks for pointing out this typing error. It should read: I believe I have a living relationship with Jesus.

Yeah, there is that danger of being regarded as insane. Jesus warned of and experienced that accusation.

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes]

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
snafu wrote: Good because

snafu wrote:

Good because this adventure is called Life. I prefer to live it on my own terms, taking responsibility for my actions, making my own decisions and mistakes, trying to learn and improve myself all the while.

snafu,

The fact that I am excited about my adventure doesn't threaten yours.  You are sharing yours and I am sharing mine.   

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
No doubt it does seem real

snafu wrote:
No doubt it does seem real to you but think about what you have just said. I've seen things you probably can't imagine that seemed real at the time but on further reflection turned out the result of large doses of psychedelic drugs.

Snafu,

The understanding of bipolar disorder is that the body of the one with the affective disorder stores up "acid" (LSD) and then releases a quanity of it all at once. I have never taken drugs like that but I have experienced what you are talking about - while on a manic high.

For a long time I feared things like you mentioned. This is different.

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes.  An earlier post indicated you figured out the Quote Function.  Please use it.] 

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

Snafu,

The understanding of bipolar disorder is that the body of the one with the affective disorder stores up "acid" (LSD) and then releases a quanity of it all at once.

Really?? Who's understanding would that be? I'd be surprised if you could point me to any one source which supports your claim. LSD is not produced naturally in the brain but is a synthesised drug derived from alkaloids produced by the ergot fungus which grows on rye grains. As an aside, it is interesting to note the correlational of particularly damp harvest years with high incidences of witch trials and burnings in Europe and the USA. I suspect you actually know very little about LSD or bipolar disorder and should research your facts a little more before making bold statements like the above.

If you're interested in learning more about LSD or any other drug for that matter http://www.erowid.org is the best place for balanced and informed information.

For info on the link between ergot and the witch trials check out:

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/history/ergot.htm

http://www.hulford.co.uk/ergot.html 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  mephibosheth wrote:

mephibosheth wrote:

Snafu,

The understanding of bipolar disorder is that the body of the one with the affective disorder stores up "acid" (LSD) and then releases a quanity of it all at once.

Really?? Who's understanding would that be?

Snafu,

It's been a while since I have read it, but tI think it is in the book "Moodswing" by Dr Fieve.  I have given all my copies (and others I have purchased).  It's out of print now but can be purchased for pennies on Amazon.  He makes the assertion as I remember that LSD was itself discovered by isolating that substance in a manic person.

I might have read it in "An Unquiet Mind" by Dr.Kay Redfield Jameson - considered top authority on bipolar at one time - doctor at John's Hopkins University and also one who has experienced affective disorder, describing it better than I can to myself. 

If you read the descriptions of a person in a manic state in either of those books I bet you will see a similarity to what you referred to with psyc drugs. 

I am not a scientist or in the know on this, but I have experienced the manic state.  I have also talked with people who have been on psyc/changing drugs and the states of mind have had similarities.  

I have been fooled by the seductive leading of the manic state and I am on guard against it.  The fellowship I have with God in my heart and soul is not a manic state.  I know the difference.

Mephibosheth 

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've checked and still

I've checked and still found no evidence for the fact that LSD occurs naturally in people.   Quite the opposite.   This is getting a little off topic so I've sent you a pm

Snafu 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
snafu wrote: I've checked

snafu wrote:

I've checked and still found no evidence for the fact that LSD occurs naturally in people. Quite the opposite. This is getting a little off topic so I've sent you a pm

Snafu

I checked and found a ton of information concerning the discovery of LSD - but I didn't find the statement I remember reading - something like, "the bipolar stores up brain chemical and releases it all at once on the system"  and "LSD was discovered by isolating it in the blood of a manic person".  I can't remember what book or article I read that in.  I'm not a scholar.  Thanks for challenging this.  I have never taken LSD so I can't compare it to my experience in the manic state (over 30 years ago).  

I don't have either of the two books "An Unquiet Mind" or "Moodswing" in my possession.  I gave them all away.  

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline

mephibosheth wrote:

I checked and found a ton of information concerning the discovery of LSD - but I didn't find the statement I remember reading - something like, "the bipolar stores up brain chemical and releases it all at once on the system" and "LSD was discovered by isolating it in the blood of a manic person". I can't remember what book or article I read that in. I'm not a scholar. Thanks for challenging this. I have never taken LSD so I can't compare it to my experience in the manic state (over 30 years ago).

I don't have either of the two books "An Unquiet Mind" or "Moodswing" in my possession. I gave them all away.

So you can't actually remember if you actually read those statements at all?   The first statement doesn't even mention LSD it just says "brain chemical".   This could be one of many neurotransmitters normally found in the brain and is probably fairly accurate in terms of explaining the cause of bipolar disorder.   The second, as I've said before, is completely unblievable although interesting that you've now changed it from brain to blood.   The discovery of LSD by Albert Hoffman is well documented and accepted.   HE SYNTHESISED IT FROM AN ACTVE COMPOUND IN ERGOT.   This clinging to ideas despite being given evidence to prove the contrary is, possibly, symptomatic of your faith.   You already have the answers so why entertain anything different?

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Snafu, Yes, I confess I

Snafu,

Yes, I confess I don't have a perfect memory - yet another reason why I don't trust in myself.  

The way I remember you brought this whole thing up in the context of how my faith was similar to your experience with psyc altering drugs, thus my faith was like that.

My answer was that I have not taken psyc altering drugs but have experienced something similar in the manic state, and this faith is not that.  

My point was not specifically lsd but the experience of psyc altering drugs - something I have experienced in natural form.  

As far as clinging and being vulnerable I am by far the more vulnerable in this converstaion.  You know a lot more about me than I do about you.  I think that indicates my willingness to venture out of my hole and put my faith to the test.  

I think you are killing a gnat with a bazooka and celebrating taking a city.   You haven't said anything that concerns faith - just my memory about a book I read when struggling with bipolar.  So I don't have a photo memory - big deal.  What does that have to do with faith in Christ and understanding my need for it? 

Mephibosheth 

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I admit I did get a bit

Ok, I admit I did get a bit carried away by this tangent.

mephibosheth wrote:

The way I remember you brought this whole thing up in the context of how my faith was similar to your experience with psyc altering drugs, thus my faith was like that.

This is how the thread remembers it:

snafu wrote:
I've seen things you probably can't imagine that seemed real at the time but on further reflection turned out the result of large doses of psychedelic drugs.

mephibosheth wrote:
I have never taken drugs like that but I have experienced what you are talking about - while on a manic high.

So it was you who equated my experiences on psychedelics with your manic high episodes. Faith never came into this bit.

mephibosheth wrote:
As far as clinging and being vulnerable I am by far the more vulnerable in this converstaion. You know a lot more about me than I do about you.

How so? I know that you are a theist and have suffered from bipolar disorder. You know that I am an atheist and have taken psychedelic drugs. I would like to think that I have had a little more experience debating these subjects and can back up my claims with evidence and maybe this is why you feel vulnerable.

mephibosheth wrote:
I think you are killing a gnat with a bazooka and celebrating taking a city. You haven't said anything that concerns faith - just my memory about a book I read when struggling with bipolar. So I don't have a photo memory - big deal. What does that have to do with faith in Christ and understanding my need for it?

Fair point and I concede it although I did try and take the drugs debate off-topic and into PM's but you replied here.

So tell me then why do you need faith in Christ? I'm not going to ask you to provide evidence because it's clear that you have faith which requires no evidence. If you truly have an issue that needs addressing then it may be helpful to share it and talk about and try to reach a real solution rather than praying that the mythical 'Christ' will make it all better. (that was why psychiatrists were so keen on LSD because it gave them an idea about how their patients thought so they might better understand and help them).   I'd like you to give me one example of something that you get through Christ, that is useful to me, that I cannot arrive at through logic and reasoning.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
snafu wrote: Ok, I admit I

snafu wrote:

Ok, I admit I did get a bit carried away by this tangent.

Fair point and I concede it although I did try and take the drugs debate off-topic and into PM's but you replied here.

I did concede the point off topic - you must have missed it, but that's fine.

snafu wrote:
How so? I know that you are a theist and have suffered from bipolar disorder. You know that I am an atheist and have taken psychedelic drugs. I would like to think that I have had a little more experience debating these subjects and can back up my claims with evidence and maybe this is why you feel vulnerable.

I didn't say I feel vulnerable, and I don't. I said in answer to your question 'why am I clinging to my belief' (afraid to try something else) - I have proved I'm not afraid of that by making myself vulnerable - opened myself up to your inspection of my faith.

snafu wrote:
So tell me then why do you need faith in Christ? I'm not going to ask you to provide evidence because it's clear that you have faith which requires no evidence. If you truly have an issue that needs addressing then it may be helpful to share it and talk about and try to reach a real solution rather than praying that the mythical 'Christ' will make it all better. (that was why psychiatrists were so keen on LSD because it gave them an idea about how their patients thought so they might better understand and help them). I'd like you to give me one example of something that you get through Christ, that is useful to me, that I cannot arrive at through logic and reasoning.

snafu,

Great question, and I appreciate you asking. I had an issue, a debt I couldn't pay to God. Jesus paid it with His blood. I was baptized into Christ. I'm in Christ and He's in me. I can honestly say "I have sinned", but I can honestly say, "I am forgiven". How? As a gift from God. Jesus experienced what should have happened to me because of my sin.

So through Christ I have a righteousness I can put my full weight down on - not my own righteousness, but Christ's righteousness. I examine myself, and, like you I see faults and weaknesses and imperfections - nothing as far as righteousness that I can put my trust in if I am honest. But when I look at Christ - examine the Sacrifice - I find the Lamb of God to be perfect. Everything about Him is perfect - everything He said, did, and now does, because I believe He rose from the dead and thus overcame death.

When God looks at me, He sees Christ, because I am in Christ. I am acceptable to Him through faith because I have accepted the free gift of His Son.

And the same power that raised Jesus from the dead is at work in me, through faith. And I am really at peace and happy and secure, not fearing death. Walking by faith is really under-rated. It's great!

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline

mephibosheth wrote:

I had an issue, a debt I couldn't pay to God. Jesus paid it with His blood.

So you absolve yourself of any responsibility for this "sin" because some guy died 2000 years ago?   I just can't understand this I'm afraid.   In my view you still have that debt to pay you just changed the creditor. 

mephibosheth wrote:
I was baptized into Christ. I'm in Christ and He's in me. I can honestly say "I have sinned", but I can honestly say, "I am forgiven". How? As a gift from God. Jesus experienced what should have happened to me because of my sin.

Well, that's nice!   So you can pretty much get away with what you want because Jesus will take your punishment.   That's like doing something bad at school and blaming someone else so they get your detention.   With a view like that, where do your morals come from? 

mephibosheth wrote:
So through Christ I have a righteousness I can put my full weight down on - not my own righteousness, but Christ's righteousness. I examine myself, and, like you I see faults and weaknesses and imperfections - nothing as far as righteousness that I can put my trust in if I am honest.

This saddens me.   It's like saying that you can't do anything morally good for your own sake but only by believing you are possessed in this manner can you be a good person.   I prefer to take the view that yes, I am imperfect, but I can still choose to do good things because I decide to not because someone is making me. 

mephobosheth wrote:
But when I look at Christ - examine the Sacrifice - I find the Lamb of God to be perfect. Everything about Him is perfect - everything He said, did, and now does,

Have a lok at this website: http://www.island.net/~rjbw/opinions2.html. 

How do you know that everything he did was perfect?   There is no mention at all, anywhere, of what Jesus did with his life between birth and his reappearance. 

mephibosheth wrote:
because I believe He rose from the dead and thus overcame death.

Why do you believe this?   Do you have any evidence? 

mephibosheth wrote:
When God looks at me, He sees Christ, because I am in Christ.

So your omniscient and omnipotent God is easily fooled? 

mephibosheth wrote:
And the same power that raised Jesus from the dead is at work in me, through faith. And I am really at peace and happy and secure, not fearing death. Walking by faith is really under-rated. It's great!

What power would that be?   Delusion is the only one that i can think of.   If you prefer to spend your life wrapped in your cotton wool ball of faith then that's fine by me but I think you're missing a lot. 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
snafu wrote: n my view you

snafu wrote:

n my view you still have that debt to pay you just changed the creditor.

Your view doesn't matter on this debt/credit.

snafu wrote:
Well, that's nice! So you can pretty much get away with what you want because Jesus will take your punishment. That's like doing something bad at school and blaming someone else so they get your detention. With a view like that, where do your morals come from?

He that puts his hope in Jesus purifies himself as He is pure.

snafu wrote:
I prefer to take the view that yes, I am imperfect, but I can still choose to do good things because I decide to not because someone is making me.

This is what I want to do.

snafu wrote:
How do you know that everything he did was perfect? There is no mention at all, anywhere, of what Jesus did with his life between birth and his reappearance.

The Scriptures say this and I believe it.

snafu wrote:
Why do you believe this? Do you have any evidence?

I have peace that surpasses understanding.

snafu wrote:
So your omniscient and omnipotent God is easily fooled?

Adam and Eve tried to cover themselves with leaves (their own righteousness). I am wearing the garment God provides.

snafu wrote:
What power would that be? Delusion is the only one that i can think of. If you prefer to spend your life wrapped in your cotton wool ball of faith then that's fine by me but I think you're missing a lot.

I'm glad it's fine with you although it doesn't need to be. I'm exercising my free will too, plus I want to share my joy with you.

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:

mephibosheth wrote:

He that puts his hope in Jesus purifies himself as He is pure.

Sort of like a get out of jail free card, huh?

mephibosheth wrote:
The Scriptures say this and I believe it.

Again, can you provide any evidence to support this or are you just resorting the old argument of "the Bible says so"?

mephibosheth wrote:
I have peace that surpasses understanding.

That's great but it's hardly conclusive evidence is it?

mephibosheth wrote:
Adam and Eve tried to cover themselves with leaves (their own righteousness). I am wearing the garment God provides.

What???

mephibosheth wrote:
I'm glad it's fine with you although it doesn't need to be. I'm exercising my free will too, plus I want to share my joy with you.

If it's all the same to you, I think I'll find my own joy. I don't think I can find joy in the same things as you,

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes]

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Snafu wrote: If it's

Snafu wrote:
If it's all the same to you, I think I'll find my own joy. I don't think I can find joy in the same things as you.

Snafu,

I can respect that. May things go well with you.

Mephibosheth.

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes.  Mephibosheth, all you have to do is click the "quote" link at the end of the post to which you wish to respond.]