My computer Got Infected with Ad-ware in Firefox

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
My computer Got Infected with Ad-ware in Firefox

Hi folks,

I've been away from the forums for a few weeks because something strange occured while browsing with Firefox. A google toolbar downloaded itself and it created a mess of problems with the browser. I had trouble loading pages as well. When I tried to delete the toolbar, it began to duplicate itself and I couldnt' do anything afterthat.

I ended up deleting Firefox and downloading and running an anti adware program to get rid of it. I'm using Internet Explorer now and the problem has (temporarily anyway) gone.

My question is, has anyone else had similar problems with Firefox? Does anyone have an idea what that malicious toolbar thingy is?

Thanks 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Firefox has an add on called

Firefox has an add on called 'ad blocker plus' that takes care of almost all ad ware and you can also block things like images and such.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
A lot of these toolbars are

A lot of these toolbars are included in programs you normally install in your computer. It is really hard for a toolbar to install on itself on your computer. Make it a habit to check for file extentions when you open files and make sure they don't end with .exe. While you install program, pay attention to what the program claims to install.

I had no problems with firefox so far, but then again I have never installed a toolbar on my computer. Sometimes ad-ware installs under a different name, so it is hard to find. If you have problems with firefox again, try going to Tools > Add-ons and removing everything on that list.

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I ended up deleting

Quote:

I ended up deleting Firefox and downloading and running an anti adware program to get rid of it. I'm using Internet Explorer now and the problem has (temporarily anyway) gone.

It won't stay away for long with the crap that IE is.  Go get Firefox again, and this time be careful what you click on when you're browsing the web.  It's not always a web of love, if you know what I mean.  Adblock Plus doesn't guard you against spyware.  It simply removes the ever so annoying ads on web pages.  When you install add-ons for Firefox, make sure the installation file has a .xpi extension.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep, I'm wary of any

Yep, I'm wary of any "toolbar."  I pretty much always delete any "free" programs that come in software bundles, too.  Almost all of them seem to have spyware components these days.

Definitely the firefox add-on is good... you can also download spyware busters from tucows.com.  They're reliable, and screen for malicious tag-along programs.  Many are freeware, and a couple are shareware.

Also, I agree with the other folks... go back to firefox.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback everybody! Which should I download first, the browser or the add-ons?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would download the

I would download the browser first, then the add ons. Make sure when you download the browser you pick the one without the google toolbar. There are two versions on Mozilla's website, one with the toolbar and one without.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks BGH. Is this one

Thanks BGH.

Is this one OK?

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
rab wrote:

rab wrote:

Thanks BGH.

Is this one OK?

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

No Prob

That's the one I use.

Make sure you use this also, it is the plug in that blocks the ads that may have caused your problems.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I reinstalled Firefox with

I reinstalled Firefox with the add-on, or I should say, my techie brother-in-law did. He also got rid of a few kinks that were causing that weird google installation command that I kept getting and couldn't get rid of.

The only weird thing I get now is a message that says "web site (with web address) couldn't be found," but it goes to the link anyway. Other than that, things seem to be in working order--for now.

Thanks everybody for your input. 

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
rab wrote: I reinstalled

rab wrote:

I reinstalled Firefox with the add-on, or I should say, my techie brother-in-law did. He also got rid of a few kinks that were causing that weird google installation command that I kept getting and couldn't get rid of.

The only weird thing I get now is a message that says "web site (with web address) couldn't be found," but it goes to the link anyway. Other than that, things seem to be in working order--for now.

Thanks everybody for your input.

I am glad it is 'mostly' working for you.

Glad we could help. 

GUNT
Silver Member
GUNT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps it was a result of

Perhaps it was a result of this... 

Mozilla released a major update this week (July 12) , fixing multiple vulnerabilities including the highly contested "firefoxurl://" handler issue.

The vulnerabilities can be exploited to perform cross-site scripting attacks, spoofing attacks, browser crashes, and remote code execution.

Users are advised to update to version 2.0.0.5 as soon as possible, as most of the vulnerabilities can be leveraged by an attacker to gain system access.

For more information, refer to:

http://secunia.com/advisories/26095/

http://secunia.com/advisories/25984/

G