At Susan's request: Introducing myself to the Board

mmonte4
User is offlineOffline
At Susan's request: Introducing myself to the Board

Hey guys,Just want to take a minute and introduce myself.  I am 25 years old and a recent graduate of Louisiana State University.  I have a B.S. in Psychology and am in the process of opening a web based business.As an infant I was baptized Catholic.  Interestingly enough, my mother converted to the Morman faith when I was about 3.  So I grew up with my mother being Morman and my father being Catholic- still married.  I attended both Churches.  I think this helped in my skeptism of God and religion.  I used to hear each criticize the other's religion.  So early on, I saw holes in both.  I still belived in God because I thought it was the "right thing to do" and I was conditioned to think of athesists as unmoral.  I was always skeptical of certain things in the bible.Going to college and majoring in psychology helped me to understand why people think as they do.  I also took a New Testament religion class that examined the New Testament in a historical perspective.  I learned a lot from that class and decided that the Bible couldnt be true.  
Ive always been interested in religious debate and discussion and am fascinated that some people are rational in every part of life except religion.  Amazing.  I hope that Brian and Kelly's appearance on ABC at least stirs some discussion on this "taboo" subject.  Thanks for providing a forum to all of us unbelievers.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.

Welcome.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzouse!

Welcome to the hizzouse!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Greetings

Greetings

satchalen
satchalen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I attended both

Quote:
I attended both [Mormon and Catholic] Churches.  I think this helped in my skeptism of God and religion.
gee, yathink?  ^_^  so what was it specifically that clued you in, the garments or the eucharist?  perhaps woodruff's manifesto illustrating himself as a false prophet, or was it the catholic church suddenly deciding that gaiety was just another of god's paths to happiness?

more importantly: being a friend of susan's, do you like pumpkin pie?

if (born++) {truth=null};

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't be bad-mouthing my

Don't be bad-mouthing my pumpkin pie!

Mmonte4, a belated welcome!

Thanks for posting a really interesting introduction. 

Mormon and catholic?  Now that's a mixed marriage!

We're really glad you "saw the light" and are here now.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

mmonte4
User is offlineOffline
yes, and the "seeing the

yes, and the "seeing the light" isnt as dark as most people believe.