What color is god's skin

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
What color is god's skin

Recalled a song today that I learned in catholic grade school.  Checked to see if I could find the lyrics online -- sadly, I could.  Not sure whether to regard the general tone as well-meaning or diabolical.

What Color is god's skin?

"Good Night" I said to my little son
So tired out when the day was done
Then he said, as I tucked him in
"Tell me, Daddy- What Color is God's Skin?"

CHORUS
What color is God's skin?  What color is God's Skin"
I said it's black, brown, it's yellow... it is red, it is white
Every man's the same in the good Lord's sight.

He looked at me with his shining eyes
And then I knew I could tell know lies
He asked "Daddy, why do the different races fight
If we're the same in the good Lord's sight?"

CHORUS

"Son, that's part of our suffering past
But the whole human race is learning at last
The thing we missed on the road we trod
Is walking as the daughters and the sons of God".

CHORUS

(4th Verse was deleted in 1970)
These words to America a man once hurled
God's last chance to make a world
The different races are meant to be
Our strength and glory from sea to sea.

CHORUS (Repeat Twice)

from  http://www.uwpiaa.org/showthread.php?tid=1266&pid=8899&mode=threaded

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ugh, I never heard that one

Ugh, I never heard that one before.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Nice in a way, that it

Nice in a way, that it promotes non-discrimination, but the question is pretty much like asking what color the tooth fairy's hair is.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
es, nice in a way, but I

Yes, nice in a way, but I have to wonder if the lyrics of the 3rd verse ("Son, that's part of our suffering past...")

are some tacit (and cynical) apology for slavery and discrimination at the hands of "god's people" earlier in history, and the 4th verse an affirmation of America as the end goal of god's plan.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's rainbow, except this

It's rainbow, except this rainbow has infinite colours.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had never heard that one

I had never heard that one either... at least I don't think..  we didn't sing much other than hymns at my church.

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
This song is disturbing. 

This song is disturbing.  It frightens me sometimes at the things we are taught as children when we are too young to question the meaning of them. 

I agree that the third verse reads as an apology (although a bit backhanded) for slavery and the fourth reads like a prophecy for christianity.

Actually, the entire song reads like a white christian supremacy anthem.  I doubt this was the intention of the author, but it is still repulsive.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
All things bright and

All things bright and beautiful

All creatures great and small

All things bright and beautiful

The Lord God made them all.

We sang this in school. I wish now I'd changed the words to evolution made them all, but that is the sad thing about hindsight, I got in enough trouble for refusing to sing, I'd've been in much worse for changing the lyrics.

But as for the colours song, I probably wouldn't read too much into it. I'm sure most of it was written with nice egalitarian intentions, they just happened to be a little bit too Christian for my likings. At any rate, it's much nicer than a WBC hymn.

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you really want to piss

If you really want to piss off some christians, you tell them Jesus was black.  All evidence shows that in the region he supposedly came from at that time everyone there was black skinned.  If they could get that thru their thick heads maybe there would be less racism in the first place, but then again, we are talking about actual scientific evidence, which we all know they easily reject.

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arletta wrote: If you

Arletta wrote:

If you really want to piss off some christians, you tell them Jesus was black. All evidence shows that in the region he supposedly came from at that time everyone there was black skinned. If they could get that thru their thick heads maybe there would be less racism in the first place, but then again, we are talking about actual scientific evidence, which we all know they easily reject.

It depends on where you live.  If you go to a predominately white church, Jesus is white.  If you go to a predominately black church, Jesus is black.  If you go to a predominately crocodile church, Jesus is a crocodile. Laughing out loud

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
And of course, the

And of course, the American fundies like Phelps aren't going to heaven, because the Jews are God's chosen people, not Caucasians. *Scoff*

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Arletta wrote: If you

Arletta wrote:

If you really want to piss off some christians, you tell them Jesus was black.  All evidence shows that in the region he supposedly came from at that time everyone there was black skinned.  If they could get that thru their thick heads maybe there would be less racism in the first place, but then again, we are talking about actual scientific evidence, which we all know they easily reject.

That actually comes from revisionist history. People in the mideast at the time weren't black.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
They weren't white either.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Actually, the

jce wrote:

Actually, the entire song reads like a white christian supremacy anthem. I doubt this was the intention of the author, but it is still repulsive.

I don't see that at all.  

WHY was the last verse deleted? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Mideastern people would have looked like mideastern people now - white, but a bit darker than the average European or white American. Last I seen on the discovery channel showed Jesus (unfortunately it assumed he existed) looking a bit like a caveman.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Jacob

MattShizzle wrote:
Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Mideastern people would have looked like mideastern people now - white, but a bit darker than the average European or white American. Last I seen on the discovery channel showed Jesus (unfortunately it assumed he existed) looking a bit like a caveman.

There was a sizable Ethiopian population in Israel at that time, however. Perhaps one or both of Jesus' parents could have been black, or part black?

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Light urple. A fictional

Light urple. A fictional colour for a fictional character.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Perhaps one or both

Quote: Perhaps one or both of Jesus' parents could have been black, or part black?

Well of course that depends in a way what colour skin God has.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Jesus was Black...AND Ronald

Jesus was Black...AND Ronald Reagon was the devil! Have none of you watched The Boondocks on Adult Swim?
heres a link to wiki and if you want there is also a link to minnova and the entire 1st season...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boondocks
http://www.mininova.org/tor/259248