Introduction from me.

gary7infiltrator
gary7infiltrator's picture
User is offlineOffline
Introduction from me.

Hello, everybody!

My name is Libbie. I've known about this site for ages but only just registered, for some reason. Looking forward to participating and meeting other freethinking people.

I'll give you a quick overview of my life, in case anybody is interested....

I'm going to be 27 soon, and I'm married with no children (and no plans for any, either. Nieces and nephews are enough fun for me). I'm a self-employed photographer and I live just outside Seattle.

I was born and raised in rural Idaho and indoctrinated into Mormonism, although I was raised with a very special stamp of Mormonism that closely resembles the Evangelical sect of Christianity. My family is insane. My father and my uncle both strongly believed that they were either Jesus or the prophet who would usher in the second coming of Jesus, depending on which day you asked them about it. They would frequently get into arguments over who really was Jesus and who was just faking it. Looking back now, it's hilarious. But then, it was scary, and a total crap way to grow up. I was raised to truly, deeply *fear* the Second Coming and the End of the World, and even though I now have zero belief in God or the Bible I still get cold terrors on occasion when anything remotely resembling a passage of Revelation is discussed on the daily news. I'm living proof of how destructive religious indoctrination can be to a child's mind.

My mother divorced my dad when he started using drugs and was excommunicated from the Church. We moved to Seattle, and Mom laid off the religion stuff. My sister and I were free to think for ourselves, and we did. I began studying evolution in middle school and by the time I got to college, I had a pretty solid understanding of biology and had figured out that the Earth wasn't 6,000 years old. I still clung to a bit of casual religious belief until I met Will, who is now my husband. He's been an atheist all his life and really treasures logic and freedom of thought. Talking to him about such things helped me come to a full understanding of a universe without a God, and here I am, a happy and well-adjusted atheist, a 6 on the Dawkins scale.

Now I'm dedicated to helping others make the jump from religion to nonreligion, and I want to find ways to celebrate free thought. I've started compiling ideas for a photography book that will feature portraits of and essays by atheists. Hopefully some day I'll get to make it.

Thanks for reading my long post! Cheers.

Libbie

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle fo

Welcome to the hizzle fo shizzle!

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard!

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Hi Libbie.  I also have

Hi Libbie.  I also have irrational fundamentalists in the family (pretty much everyone but me) and live just outside of Seattle.  Nice to see you here.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Libbie! PNW

Welcome, Libbie!

PNW represent. I just moved up to the Puget sound area (Whidbey island) last year and this place is great. Washington has the highest percentage of "unchurched" people of any state.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. Sounds like your

Welcome. Sounds like your husband needs to sign up too.

gary7infiltrator
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, everybody! I'll try

Thanks, everybody!

I'll try to get my husband to sign up. We'll see how it goes.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
gary7infiltrator

gary7infiltrator wrote:
I've started compiling ideas for a photography book that will feature portraits of and essays by atheists. Hopefully some day I'll get to make it.

Welcome!!  I would love to see/read that book!  There are some interesting stories of life-long atheists and the de-converted on this site so maybe you can pick up a few more ideas.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Libbie. I may be

Welcome Libbie.

I may be late with my greetings, but they are no less sincere!

gary7infiltrator
User is offlineOffline
Cool - thanks, guys! :)

Cool - thanks, guys! Smiling