The Ignorance of some people makes me weep

Presidential Atheist
User is offlineOffline
The Ignorance of some people makes me weep

I was discussing religion with a girl in one of my classes when she uttered to me that Catholicism was not real Christianity because it broke of from the Baptists. Not only was I surprised to hear her use the 'not true Christian' idea, but it stunned me that anyone would be so brainwashed into believing that Catholicism was derived from Baptism.

This truely makes me sad that somebody would teach her fallicious history in order to solidify religous argument.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the have completely

Well, the have completely bastardized american history to make people think we were founded as a "christian nation. I am not really surprised.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still have no idea of all

I still have no idea of all the sects of xianity and how they branched off, so I can almost forgive her. But I hate when one sect calls another sect backwards and wrong. I met a jewish guy one time at a club and he brought up religion, asked if anyone was upset by his abstaining from cigarettes, I said not at all, and mentioned my mormon friend who doesnt drink alcohol or caffeine to him. He got all snotty and called it silly, and a "false doctrine". And started calling my friend stupid.......
*sigh*

It's frustrating when theists can't see that one person's faith is as silly as their own. (and my mormon friend is awesome)

edit: Can someone find/make a graph of all the branchings of xianity?  That'd be neat to see.

Presidential Atheist
User is offlineOffline
While the nature of the

While the nature of the chart makes it unable to display here, This seems to be a good interactive chart.

Edit: The main page of that site also shows the history of the world's other major religions.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Presidential Atheist

Presidential Atheist wrote:
Catholicism was not real Christianity because it broke of from the Baptists

The Baptists were British Protestants. There's just no way they predate the Catholic Church. Another Christian completely ignorant about history.

GlamourKat wrote:
Can someone find/make a graph of all the branchings of xianity? That'd be neat to see.

Heh! Are you kidding? The number of branches has got to be in the tens of thousands.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: Heh! Are you

MrRage wrote:
Heh! Are you kidding? The number of branches has got to be in the tens of thousands.

Yeah.  You'd even have to count Westboro Baptist Church as their own little cult.  How many of those are out there, I wonder.... 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MisterDax
User is offlineOffline
She is missing one point.

She is missing one point. Top three "religions" in the world are:

1. Christianity:2.1 billion
  2. Islam: 1.3 billion
  3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

Catholics make up about 50% of all christians. If they are not christians, then half of the 2.1 billion are not christians and the total number of christians would be 1.05 billion. It would mean that islam would be the largest religion in the world and christianity would come in third. Ask her, if she really wants to admit to that.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
MisterDax wrote:

MisterDax wrote:

Catholics make up about 50% of all christians. If they are not christians, then half of the 2.1 billion are not christians and the total number of christians would be 1.05 billion. It would mean that islam would be the largest religion in the world and christianity would come in third. Ask her, if she really wants to admit to that.

Remember that Islam has its sects too. They're killing each other in Iraq.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
I found a basic chart.  

I found a basic chart.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presidential Atheist

I was discussing religion with a girl in one of my classes when she uttered to me that Catholicism was not real Christianity because it broke of from the Baptists. Not only was I surprised to hear her use the 'not true Christian' idea, but it stunned me that anyone would be so brainwashed into believing that Catholicism was derived from Baptism.

This truely makes me sad that somebody would teach her fallicious history in order to solidify religous argument.

Yes, most Christians believe that protestants and catholics were never one and the same but that's something that they can be educated on. What is even more disturbing is that the Bible itself is taught as history and its authenticity is never to be questioned. 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
How could a christian not

How could a christian not know bout Martin Luther - Driving force of Baptism in 1500's bout 1467 year before their "Savior"...(rough Est. too lazy to look up exact dates)

Wow i never thought a christian could be that Dumb.

Blackthorn
Blackthorn's picture
User is offlineOffline
MisterDax wrote: She is

MisterDax wrote:

I've never heard that nonreligious people were that numerous...where did you get your info?  Also, does anyone know the number of Hindu people out there?  That figure always slips my mind...

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I've never heard

Quote:

I've never heard that nonreligious people were that numerous...where did you get your info?  Also, does anyone know the number of Hindu people out there?  That figure always slips my mind...

Try these:

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

or this: http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

There are some inconsistencies between these two, but I think the point is obvious.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
It annoys me that people

It annoys me that people still don't understand that atheism is just "not theism"

The nonreligious, with no god belief, are atheists.

The people who form the statistics need to understand this. 

MisterDax
User is offlineOffline
Blackthorn wrote: I've

Blackthorn wrote:

I got the numbers from here:

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

According to it, the number of Hindus is 900 million. 

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presidential Atheist

Some christians believe that "John the Baptist" was the first Baptist, and that the modern sect of Baptists follow the tradition started by him. Now, there's no way of truly knowing if they are or are not, but if they are, it would have to be a fluke. Regardles, it's a clever piece of historical revisionism.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: I found a

Ophios wrote:

I found a basic chart.

AWWWW LOOKIT! The Eastern and Western churches are holding hands! 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada wrote: AWWWW

BenfromCanada wrote:

AWWWW LOOKIT! The Eastern and Western churches are holding hands!

Only in charts, my friend.  Only in charts. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.