On the verge...

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

...Of something huge!

Perhaps not as big as some discoveries out there, but I have found out some very interesting things in my research into the early Gnostics. You may have to wait until I post the dissertation, but in the end I think everyone who reads it will be pleasantly surprised.

A little confused? Let's just say I stumbled onto the very evolution of Christianity, and can pretty much pinpoint where and when it came to be and from where. And the dates I have come to find for these things will shock you!

I'm hoping to make a show of this with some help from the rest of the Squad. I'm looking forward to getting this essay done and in the hands of atheists and free-thinkers everywhere. Hopefully I can get this thing published somewhere.

The more I research the better my position stands. Stay tuned...

Rook

GrimJesta
GrimJesta's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

Although I think that this thread devolved into personal attacks, and that Roark did come off "prickish" in his initial post, the whole "Nimrod of the Week/AssHat Avatar" thing is a bit... much. Seriously, so what if he critiqued Rook? Yea he came off snobbish, but the name-calling wasn't started by him. Credentials don't mean shit to me as far as a persons' theorizing goes, but knee-jerk name-calling and taunting aren't really neccessary. Especially when the point of RRS is to get as many people listening as possible; name-calling closes doors, not opens them. It would have been just as effective, if not more so, if instead of flipping out it was stated that:

-Rook is working with Richard Carrier.
-He does indeed know his shit.
-He almost has a PhD.
-Listen to the show if you think he knows nothing.

I'm not siding with anyone obviously. I'm just pointing out some observations. Roark came off like a snob, but he still made inquiries that could have been answered without alienating him. But Roark could have come off less pompous and could have inquired without alienating himself in the end. Still, the schoolyard name-calling is a poor reflection on a rational group, no?

:smt096

-=Grim=-

No Nyarlathotep, Know Peace.
Know Nyarlathotep, No Peace.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

GrimJesta wrote:
whole "Nimrod of the Week/AssHat Avatar" thing is a bit... much.

But Rook is infallible and I blindly follow him, he told me to. Sticking out tongue

GrimJesta wrote:

Especially when the point of RRS is to get as many people listening as possible; name-calling closes doors, not opens them.

Just for clarification, the point of RRS is not to get as many people listening as possible. Our intention is to stand up for reason, rationality, and sound logic, that is our main point. While I agree the name calling doesn't help get more listeners, I just wanted to clarify that point./

Quote:
Still, the schoolyard name-calling is a poor reflection on a rational group, no?

I'd love it if the name calling slowed down. As I stated I don't think it's irrational to call a dickhead a dickhead, however I do think it's nice to at least try and hold the politeness high ground.

After completing my response I just realized that maybe Roark should take a lesson from you. Notice you were critical of our actions, yet came across in a completely different manner than he did. In return you got a more civil response. I'm an eye for an eye type of person myself, and this sometimes conflicts with my desire to hold the politeness high ground. I think people who treat us like shit should be treated like shit in return and sometimes that can be hard to do while remaining polite.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

GrimJesta wrote:
Although I think that this thread devolved into personal attacks, and that Roark did come off "prickish" in his initial post, the whole "Nimrod of the Week/AssHat Avatar" thing is a bit... much.

Seriously, so what if he critiqued Rook? Yea he came off snobbish, but the name-calling wasn't started by him. Credentials don't mean shit to me as far as a persons' theorizing goes, but knee-jerk name-calling and taunting aren't really neccessary. Especially when the point of RRS is to get as many people listening as possible; name-calling closes doors, not opens them. It would have been just as effective, if not more so, if instead of flipping out it was stated that:

-Rook is working with Richard Carrier.
-He does indeed know his shit.
-He almost has a PhD.
-Listen to the show if you think he knows nothing.

I'm not siding with anyone obviously. I'm just pointing out some observations. Roark came off like a snob, but he still made inquiries that could have been answered without alienating him. But Roark could have come off less pompous and could have inquired without alienating himself in the end. Still, the schoolyard name-calling is a poor reflection on a rational group, no?

:smt096

-=Grim=-

Although I respect what you are saying Grim, I also want you and everyone else here to understand something. This is really about me, personally. I am very hot-tmpered about ome things in a debate. I can be cool headed most of the time, but I do not stand for dishonesty. Dishonesty is my number one pet peeve, because I have seen what the full force of dishonesty can do to people. A lot of my friends are in Iraq and Afganistan and too many of my friends have already come back - in a box.

When it comes to dishonest people I feel a need to make sure that not only ar their lies exposed but also their pride broken. I do this as a way of teaching them a lesson...lying will always come around and bite you in the ass. And I make it my personal mission to irradicate such irrational things such as lying off the planet.

Also I don't just "name-call" but I use specific words to make my point crystal clear. For example: Nimrod...somebody who, in the Bible, was a great hunter, but is also a word used for soldier. To me, the corelation here is that Roark came off as a nimrod for Christ, and for irrationality, and hense the name. The ass-hat designation was used because he came off attacking me personally in his very first post. There was no need for that.

Had, in all honesty, Roark simply asked me the questions without the insults and personal attacks, I would have answered in kind, but respect is something nobody should give freely, it is something that is to be earned.

Again, I understand your point, but also see mine.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Re: doubt

Roark wrote:

I can?t imagine how a 23 year old, with seemingly no college or publishing experience, can claim to be an expert on anything.

And I can't imagine how a swiss patent clerk could overthrow classic physics...

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

GrimJesta
GrimJesta's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

Gotcha. Cool

Funny, I knew about nimrod meaning soldier and foolish, but the "hunter" thing I didn't know about. I guess this proves the point that even angry threads can enlighten the masses. LOL.

I should point out that the "goal to nab as many listeners as possible" was my interpretation, or a manifestation of my wishes. I guess I'm in Sam Harris' boat, where I want everyone talking about this shit, just so we can finally debunk it or accept that some people are... nimrods.

-=Grim=-

No Nyarlathotep, Know Peace.
Know Nyarlathotep, No Peace.

SAVAGE
Superfan
SAVAGE's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

Rook, dont listen to the haters man.

I am a new Atheist and I dont have any idea about half the shit that goes on anywhere at anytime, I am a bean counter....hardly rocket science.

I am not to good with philosophy and logic but I have a drive to learn, and in my case living in the third world the odds are greatly stacked against me...but I will perservere.

But you are impressive...passion, zeal and commitment are what you show and these are things to be proud of.

There are not many, but of people I hold in high regard you are one.

What you apply to your research, I apply to my Martial Arts....to one day say "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death i will fear no evil....because I am the baddest motherfucker in this Goddamned battle"......it is drive and passion..I understand it and admire it above all other human traits.

Keep it up Bud!

A MESSAGE TO ALL THEISTS:

CRY ME A RIVER

BUILD ME A BRIDGE

BUT IN THE NAME OF NOTHING GET OVER IT.

Atheist_Scathe
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

Quote:
Lol, well, I?ve about spent more time than I should of on this. It was fun, but listening to people who believe that they are infallible,

No, genius, we were waiting for his evidence. You're an even dumber douche than I thought.

Quote:

drone on with one another,

If you don't like it feel quite free to leave. You're already the Nimrod of the week.

Quote:
and stroke each others egos about ?how bad Christianity is, oh poor world, lets talk endlessly about things that will never be resolved,? is not my idea of time spent wisely.

Yes, funny how some of us actually do give a shit about helping the world see through its fairytales and delusions. Yeah, something about KNOWING the truth, you sort of want to help other people see it (although I try not to impose), and of course PROTECT yourself to your rights (stem cell, abortion controversies, 9/11, Danish cartoon controversy, other ludicrous and cruel consequences of ridiculous beliefs we impose on ourselves). Hm, guess we're all just egomaniacs... oh well, if you ever decide to climb off your high horse you might read Sam Harris's The End of Faith: Religion, Terror and the Future of Reason. Not, of course, that you seem likely to ever do either of those.

Quote:
You?re all very amusing.

Roark.

I AM??

SOMEONE WHO READS A LOT OF BOOKS AT BARNES AND NOBLES??.AND IS SMARTER THAN YOU?

And ever-so-humble about it, and so eloquently demonstrative of it too... and all the insults and ad homs and acting like a complete and total "asshat" proved it quite altogether. :roll: Adieu, you pretentious sack of shit.

Atheist_Scathe
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

SAVAGE wrote:

I am a new Atheist and I dont have any idea about half the shit that goes on anywhere at anytime, I am a bean counter....hardly rocket science.

I am not to good with philosophy and logic but I have a drive to learn, and in my case living in the third world the odds are greatly stacked against me...but I will perservere.

But you are impressive...passion, zeal and commitment are what you show and these are things to be proud of.

What you apply to your research, I apply to my Martial Arts....to one day say "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death i will fear no evil....because I am the baddest motherfucker in this Goddamned battle"......it is drive and passion..I understand it and admire it above all other human traits.

Keep it up Bud!

Savage! Hey I wanted to say Welcome to the Heathen Pit man! And CONGRATS, I'm a newbie apostate myself (early '05, so only about a year and a half ago) after about fifteen and a half years of Christianity. You've made an incredible transformation and I really admire that and applaud you for it. In reality, bud!

SAVAGE
Superfan
SAVAGE's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

Atheist_Scathe wrote:
SAVAGE wrote:

Keep it up Bud!

Savage! Hey I wanted to say Welcome to the Heathen Pit man! And CONGRATS, I'm a newbie apostate myself (early '05, so only about a year and a half ago) after about fifteen and a half years of Christianity. You've made an incredible transformation and I really admire that and applaud you for it. In reality, bud!

Cheers bro.

I hope you enjoyed the show.

A MESSAGE TO ALL THEISTS:

CRY ME A RIVER

BUILD ME A BRIDGE

BUT IN THE NAME OF NOTHING GET OVER IT.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the verge...

I'm really not worried, honestly. I know what my limitations and strengths are, and history is one of my strongest strengths. If somebody wants to debate me on a subject, they need only request it and they will have them a debate.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote: ...Of

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

...Of something huge!

Perhaps not as big as some discoveries out there, but I have found out some very interesting things in my research into the early Gnostics. You may have to wait until I post the dissertation, but in the end I think everyone who reads it will be pleasantly surprised.

A little confused? Let's just say I stumbled onto the very evolution of Christianity, and can pretty much pinpoint where and when it came to be and from where. And the dates I have come to find for these things will shock you!

I'm hoping to make a show of this with some help from the rest of the Squad. I'm looking forward to getting this essay done and in the hands of atheists and free-thinkers everywhere. Hopefully I can get this thing published somewhere.

Rook

I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but did the essay ever get published? I'd like to read the findings.

Cheers

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote: ...Of

Rook_Hawkins wrote:
...Of something huge! Perhaps not as big as some discoveries out there, but I have found out some very interesting things in my research into the early Gnostics. You may have to wait until I post the dissertation, but in the end I think everyone who reads it will be pleasantly surprised. A little confused? Let's just say I stumbled onto the very evolution of Christianity, and can pretty much pinpoint where and when it came to be and from where. And the dates I have come to find for these things will shock you! I'm hoping to make a show of this with some help from the rest of the Squad. I'm looking forward to getting this essay done and in the hands of atheists and free-thinkers everywhere. Hopefully I can get this thing published somewhere. The more I research the better my position stands. Stay tuned... Rook

In the law of probibility nothing should be(note I said should be) shocking or suprising.

What you have uncovered is probiibly widely known amoungst intelectually honest historians and revialed amoungst apologists.

In any case there are two simple choices to make.

1. Magic exists

2. People made up stories based on prior mythology.

But only one camp comes out on top. Not the one with the record of the most claims, but the one who can back up even one claim with credible evidence.

I have, unfortunatly no doubt, that whatever "silver bullit" you have uncovered, most people would rather believe in the tooth fairy than actually brush their teeth.  

Rook, I admire you in your detail in debunking  mythology. And what you are about to do SHOULD BE READ AND TAKEN SERIOULSLY.

But, as much as I am a fan of your detailed debunking, there are diehards out there who will stil still insist that alchemy and Big Foot are as real as the FSM. 

In any case Rook, you labor endlessly and have more knowlege of religious mythology than most. Your efforts make the differance. Even when the diehards dont realize it. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roark wrote: I?m not saying

Roark wrote:
I?m not saying that knowledge cant come in different shapes and sizes, as I am also not saying that Rook doesn?t know certain things about what he says he knows. But are you people so starved for knowledge that your going to eat up everything this guy says?

You sound jealous.  

Quote:

Theologians are most of the real experts on the bible, 

But they beg an awful lot of questions... and every generation's task is to question those assumptions.... and thankfully, every generation, one or two fall.....

And some generations bring down an entire shelf.... 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: Rook_Hawkins

Topher wrote:
Rook_Hawkins wrote:

...Of something huge!

Rook

I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but did the essay ever get published? I'd like to read the findings.

Cheers

It became a book instead of just a dissertation. lol. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.