Funny Quote

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Funny Quote

So, I met Charles Barkley in a bar in Atlanta last night, and a friend asked him if he was running for governor of Alabama.  Here is Charles' response:

"Yeah, I'm gonna run, and I'm gonna win.  It's not like you can fuck up Alabama.  It's the 48th worst state in the country, if I come up with one good idea that moves it up to 42 or 45, I'll be considered a success."

Ladies and gentlemen, your next governor of Alabama! 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can you provide me with any

Can you provide me with any sources to back this claim up?  I need sources. 

Sticking out tongue

P.S. Who is Charles Barkley?  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   I must move to

I must move to Alabama, I'll get famous

, or locked up,  ummm , let me think this over ...

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm... regardless of

Hmmm... regardless of whether or not this is true, this is not an original joke. The joke was originally made by Lewis Black about President Clinton on, I think, his "white album".

This is paraphrasing from memory, but his version went something like this:

"When Bill Clinton was running for president, one of the things he liked to brag about most was how he raised the state of Arkansas from being ranked 49th in the country for education to being ranked 48th.

I'm thinkin... maybe he just should have kept that one a secret. I mean, how do you move your state's education from 49th to 48th? What does it take? Pencils?

"Hey, Bobby, you don't have to write your name in the dirt with that stick anymore! If you come back to school, WE FOUND PAPER!"

Ya know what I think? I think they shot a couple of dumb kids.

(skipping over a bunch)

Apparently, in schools in Arkansas, they can't afford to buy all of the students microscopes, so they just show them a picture of a microscope. I've got a better idea. Why don't you just let them stay at home and show them a picture of a school?

(skipping a bunch)

What must their education program be like? Just fling open the doors and let the kids run and run, and whoever hits the most trees gets an A! "Oh look! Billy poked his eye out! That's worth extra credit. You're gonna have to bring us the eye, though, we need proof!"

Etc. Lewis Black is hilarious. If you've never watched his stand-up, you're missing out.

He's got the same "angry comedian" style that Carlin sometimes uses, but Carlin is also sometimes silly and uses a lot of poo-poo humor. Lewis Black is ALWAYS angry in his delivery, and he's more political and social with his jokes. Picture an irrate man who just drank 20 cups of coffee, and that's kind of his stage personality.

He appears on the Daily Show from time to time for the "Back in Black" segment, but it's so rare that most people don't even realize he's part of the Daily Show cast. I know that I always forget. =P

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "Yeah, I'm gonna

Quote:
"Yeah, I'm gonna run, and I'm gonna win.  It's not like you can fuck up Alabama.  It's the 48th worst state in the country, if I come up with one good idea that moves it up to 42 or 45, I'll be considered a success."

Too fucking funny.  I didn't know you were in/near the ATL.  Or, maybe I just forgot.

Anyway, he's forgetting that Alabama is 60% Redneck.  He's going to need some cosmetic adjustment before he gets elected.

I ain't sayin'.... I'm just sayin'...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
"Yeah, I'm gonna run, and I'm gonna win. It's not like you can fuck up Alabama. It's the 48th worst state in the country, if I come up with one good idea that moves it up to 42 or 45, I'll be considered a success."

Too fucking funny. I didn't know you were in/near the ATL. Or, maybe I just forgot.

Anyway, he's forgetting that Alabama is 60% Redneck. He's going to need some cosmetic adjustment before he gets elected.

I ain't sayin'.... I'm just sayin'...

You're probably right, considering minorities and poor people don't vote as much as wealthy white folk do.

I was in the ATL the last 3 days on business.  

Met Sir Charles in the Lobster Bar.  And yes, it is true.  WTF would I make up something like that for? 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."