atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
Best Letter to the Editor EVER!

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20071214/NEWS/712140305

From the Times Daily:

Dec 14, 2007

How to avoid atheists

In her Dec. 7 letter, "Beware of book," Kathy Momic tells us that children should be protected against atheism.

She probably isn't acquainted with an atheist but "knows" that atheists are possessed by the devil, don't know right from wrong and don't believe in anything.

There are certain precautions she can take to protect herself and her children from these agents of Lucifer.

She could join an organization that does not admit atheists, e.g., the Ku Klux Klan, the Mafia, Christian militia groups. She could join a God-fearing terrorist group that blows up abortion clinics and high-rise buildings (Oklahoma City, World Trade Center); or she could restrict her friends to those spewing venomous hate upon individuals the Bible says should be put to death, e.g., non-believers and homosexuals.

To be on the safe side, there are havens of atheism that she should avoid: Ivy League universities; the Nobel laureate laden National Academy of Sciences; organizations concerned with the environment or civil rights; and Scandinavia, where the percentage of atheists is at least three times that of the United States.

She should stay in the Bible Belt with the highest religiosity (and highest violent crime rate) in the country.

The absurdity of religious myopia was exemplified after the 1997 school shootings in Paducha, Ky. In defense of the young killer who somebody called "godless," his pastor at the Lutheran Church said, "Michael Carnael is a Christian. He's a sinner, yes, but not an atheist."

I wonder if that made his victims less dead or the crime less wrong.

David N. Miles

Orange Beach

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
In this editoral, Cherry

In this editoral, Cherry picking and ignorance.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: In

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Whats a matter? Cant stand the fact that atheists are humans too and dont have to be Uncle Toms, or put up with bigoted arrogent statements?

YESUM MASSA, we be good atheits and be quiet fer the gawed fearen folks. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Whats a matter? Cant stand the fact that atheists are humans too and dont have to be Uncle Toms, or put up with bigoted arrogent statements?

No I'm saying that 'not putting up with bigoted arrogent statments', doesn't mean that you have to stoop to their level.

Don't you have puppies to kick?

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: In

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

As opposed to overgeneralization, stereotypes and institutional bigotry by the pixie worshippers? 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed

D-cubed wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

As opposed to overgeneralization, stereotypes and institutional bigotry by the pixie worshippers?

So what, respond in kind? Of course the letter he was responding to was overgeneralization, stereotypes and institutional bigotry.

There are a few instances where a good 'ol 'fuck you' is apporiate, but these kind of letters actually re-inforce said sterotypes.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes because many people

Yes because many people forget that the so called good people, can be assholes too. Let the sterotyping be, why should one have their children avoid atheists? Why is this author making a stupid statement like that? I say screw them, throw some good old sterotyping out and make them see how ridiculous it is to paste everyone the same.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
D-cubed wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

So what, respond in kind? Of course the letter he was responding to was overgeneralization, stereotypes and institutional bigotry.

There are a few instances where a good 'ol 'fuck you' is apporiate, but these kind of letters actually re-inforce said sterotypes.

I really fail to see how you could characterise the letter in response in that way - it has a element of sarcasm, perhaps, but there is no crude abuse, and no major distortion of facts in the various comments. Pretty reasonable response as far as I can see.

Damn stereotypes - all us atheists can think of to respond with is facts, we have such a stereotypical obsession with facts and evidence...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:
D-cubed wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I really fail to see how you could characterise the letter in response in that way - it has a element of sarcasm, perhaps, but there is no crude abuse, and no major distortion of facts in the various comments. Pretty reasonable response as far as I can see.

Damn stereotypes - all us atheists can think of to respond with is facts, we have such a stereotypical obsession with facts and evidence...

Since when are, for example, Ivy league school 'atheist havens'?

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Since

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

ha·ven " class="audio">Listen to the pronunciation of haven
Pronunciation:
\ˈhā-vən\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Old English hæfen; akin to Middle High German habene harbor
Date:
before 12th century
1 : harbor port 2 : a place of safety : refuge 3 : a place offering favorable opportunities or conditions <a haven for artists> I dunno, sounds fairly accurate to me. 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No I'm saying that 'not putting up with bigoted arrogent statments', doesn't mean that you have to stoop to their level.

Don't you have puppies to kick?

Atheists don't kick puppies, we barbaque kittens.....JEEEZE! You should know that by now as long as you've been here.Tongue out

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Since when are, for

Quote:

For about 300 years, give or take, the oldest, of course, being Harvard. However, we should not give ourselves over to Ivy league bias, since not all of the top universities are Ivy league, yet are also atheist havens (Cal Tech, for example) which is to say that since they have the most educated people, it is not suprising that they have a high concentration of atheists. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism