why do i keep getting deleted?

mark65
mark65's picture
User is offlineOffline
why do i keep getting deleted?

my contributions in threads keep disappearing.

despite my login name, (which is my name and birth year btw), i am not a theist troll.

even my intro got flushed.

WTF is going on?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
The server crashed and data

The server crashed and data was lost

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mark65 - I'm sorry you keep

Mark65 - I'm sorry you keep getting deleted but there seems to be some problems with the server.  The core team is doing everything they can to fix this and are probably totally swamped right now.  Please be patient - hopefully everything will be running ok shortly. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

mark65
mark65's picture
User is offlineOffline
so server problems can

so server problems can remove me from a thread and leave the rest intact?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some entire threads were

Some entire threads were lost and many other posters have lost their posts also

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
mark65 wrote: so server

mark65 wrote:

Depends on the restore point. Partial threads are entirely possible. Weird shit happens when a server goes poof. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, mark.  Server

Yes, mark.  Server problems are causing many people to lose posts while the threads are staying somewhat intact.

Unlike many websites who have very deep pockets, we do not have the financial resources to pay a host to do a backup each night.  Though we do periodic backups, it's simply impossible with our available manpower to do as much as we could if we had more cash to work with.

The last server problem was a big one, and it required us to go to a restore point almost two weeks previous, which means that everything everyone, including core members, posted in that time is gone.  We've restored a lot of it from the google cache, but there was still a great deal lost.

We're working on a long term solution to this problem, but our options are somewhat limited.  If you want to help, please consider becoming a silver or gold subscriber .  Basically, if we had a bigger server fund, this kind of thing would be very, very unlikely.  As it is, we're having to do a lot of the work ourselves.  I've watched Sapient stay up for two days straight working on this stuff.  Trust me.  It's an incredible pain in the ass, but we're dedicated to keeping the site up no matter what it takes.  We're now the number one atheist website in the world, and we've done it on virtually nothing.  Imagine what we could do if each one of our readers signed up for just a silver membership!

If you want to contribute directly to the server fund, you can do so HERE

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
We have been having database

We have been having database issues for some time now. I have been working tirelessly with the Dev team to try to resolve these issues. It seems that we have gotten it as close to stable as we can for now. We are currently discussing different options to take to improve reliability and stability of the site.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

mark65
mark65's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok i'll take your word for

ok i'll take your word for it, although i suspect it's really an anti british conspiracy in revenge for some historical misdeed.

oh and i started a silver subscription to help out as best i can.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't tell you how much

I can't tell you how much we appreciate it!  I'll get you a badge.  Oh, and if you mention the British conspiracy thing again, we'll have to send the Pope's super secret ninja exorcism squad to kill you.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
mark65 wrote:

mark65 wrote:

When the server crashed, everything is restored back to the last save date / time. The first time, 20 hours of data were lost. The second time, it may have been even more. I don't know. The server has crashed at least three times now.

After the first crash, I lost one post I had spent quite a bit of time on. I was a wee bit pissed and never bothered to re-post it. I'm glad I didn't. It might have disappeared in subsequent crashes and restores.

I have a feeling the server issue is NUMBER ONE on the core members' priority list. In fact, I expect a major move to a different server location (new company, new computer, all that). No one has said anything about a major move, but from certain posts I was able to read before the second crash, I suspect that a major move is forthcoming. Now I could be wrong, so don't take my words as gospel ( Laughing out loud ). We may have to chip in and make it happen.

It might be a good idea to save important posts on your own computer until this issue is resolved. It isn't you, mark65, honest. You just showed up at the wrong time. Laughing out loud

Welcome to the RRS. The server issue will be resolved soon if I know the commitment of the core team. (And I think I do.)

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
mark65 wrote: my

mark65 wrote:

despite my login name, (which is my name and birth year btw), i am not a theist troll.

WTF is going on?

Ahhh, they have a bold and fearless front, but there are things they don't want to face here. The big fun is all the blasphemy and disrespect wit contests.

I had a thread going here entitled "plan your funeral here" and some interesting responses. I even had it linked on google to "classic atheistic eulogies" - it disappeared. Hmmm

I think they were upset that atheists who view their thoughts as above God to come to the end with such self disrespect.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:Ahhh,

mephibosheth wrote:

Ahhh, they have a bold and fearless front, but there are things they don't want to face here. The big fun is all the blasphemy and disrespect wit contests.

I had a thread going here entitled "plan your funeral here" and some interesting responses. I even had it linked on google to "classic atheistic eulogies" - it disappeared. Hmmm

I think they were upset that atheists who view their thoughts as above God to come to the end with such self disrespect.

You seem paranoid. The "plan your funeral here" thread was not upsetting to anyone. Test your hypothesis scientifically by starting the "plan your funeral here" thread again. You will see that it will not be deleted. If I get the time I will even archive it on my harddrive for you in the event the server crashes again and repost it for you.

As for thinking I am above something you refer to as "god", I truely do think that I am above "nothing".

I think you will get the same responses to your funeral question.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: mark65

mephibosheth wrote:
mark65 wrote:

WTF is going on?

You flatter yourself. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: Ahhh,

mephibosheth wrote:

Don't try to stir up trouble!  You know as well as I do that if a thread started by you was going to be deleted it would have been one that used horrific grammar in the title.  LOL

("what faith you"?  Who are you - Tonto?) 

Mark65 - hang in there.  They are working on it.  Just a little hint:  If you are working on a lengthy post/response, save a copy of it in word so that you can retrieve it if necessary.  Oh, and you were born in 65?  Me too!  Ha - that makes you old like me!! 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
maglium wrote: You flatter

maglium wrote:

You flatter yourself.

mephibosheth wrote:

It could happen, I'll be watching for it and open to it.

So, do you take joy in the thought of the day of your death? Do you have any hope that goes beyond that? (don't spend much time on this, because, I know.... (remember?))

I'm not flattering myself in honestly saying that I do. I'm honoring Christ in that - He has given that to me. And my honor of Him isn't flattery as I understand the term because flattery is fake.

Mephibosheth (fails daily-yet loved by a God who can love the worst depraved even self flatterer)

magilum
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

maglium wrote:

You flatter yourself.

mephibosheth wrote:

It could happen, I'll be watching for it and open to it.

So, do you take joy in the thought of the day of your death? Do you have any hope that goes beyond that? (don't spend much time on this, because, I know.... (remember?))

I'm not flattering myself in honestly saying that I do. I'm honoring Christ in that - He has given that to me. And my honor of Him isn't flattery as I understand the term because flattery is fake.

Mephibosheth (fails daily-yet loved by a God who can love the worst depraved even self flatterer)

It's like talking to a turnip.

EDIT: A turnip that can't even use the quote function properly.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote: You seem

aiia wrote:

You seem paranoid. The "plan your funeral here" thread was not upsetting to anyone. Test your hypothesis scientifically by starting the "plan your funeral here" thread again. You will see that it will not be deleted. If I get the time I will even archive it on my harddrive for you in the event the server crashes again and repost it for you.

mephibosheth wrote:
It happened twice. The first time I started the thread it almost immediately disappeared under "what think you" - there was only one response - but this one - "plan your funeral here" - was really getting interesting.

I was getting more straightforward answers than ever from you atheists. Actually I was impressed with the frankness. I was going to enter the question of the contradiction between thinking your perspective was god like until death then totally to be disrespected.

Paranoia, distrust of people? I distrust some people. Usually it's the ones with the biggest smiles and flattery though, or the ones with "all the answers". That's not me by the way. I'm looking for more answers every day. But it is reality that some people can't be trusted - right?

So, do you have the thread "plan your funeral here" archived? Can you reproduce it?

Mephibosheth (has trouble trusting arrogant people)

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Meph -- if we wanted to

Meph -- if we wanted to block you, we would do so, and you would simply find your login no longer worked one day. While you've contributed absolutely nothing of interest, that isn't against the rules, and you're free to continue wasting bandwidth. A lot of data has been lost in three severe crashed to the overloaded server -- not just your posts, but valuable data as well. The loss of your thread (some of which can be recovered via Google cache, FYI) is wholly incidental.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Meph -- if

magilum wrote:

Meph -- if we wanted to block you, we would do so, and you would simply find your login no longer worked one day. While you've contributed absolutely nothing of interest, that isn't against the rules, and you're free to continue wasting bandwidth. A lot of data has been lost in three severe crashed to the overloaded server -- not just your posts, but valuable data as well. The loss of your thread (some of which can be recovered via Google cache, FYI) is wholly incidental.

Maglium,

Well, I can appreciate your perspective on that. You haven't exactly been Johathan Winters yourself you know or the essence of gravitas.

You're picture's pretty entertaining. You do look familiar, however at my age everybody does. You look like a guy that advertized for Six Flags, or cleaned sewers in NYC. Do you dance?

Back to the issues. I don't have any trouble with the possibility that I'm wrong on RRSQ deleting my thread on purpose. The RRSQ is not a thing I have proven again and again such that I know its integrity. Other things I have proven which you wouldn't dance to.

By the way, if we want to talk about lack of substance I couldn't compete with you Atheists on that! No application to life, no, "it's not a faith" - well, what is it? It's a vacuum, Mr Orek! I'm trying to "make you smile" there Mag! Do you have one in you?

Mephibosheth (good to sleep to)

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:
magilum wrote:

Maglium,

Well, I can appreciate your perspective on that. You haven't exactly been Johathan Winters yourself you know or the essence of gravitas.

You're picture's pretty entertaining. You do look familiar, however at my age everybody does. You look like a guy that advertized for Six Flags, or cleaned sewers in NYC. Do you dance?

If I were to go by this post alone, I'd guess you have zero sense of humor.  Do you think magilum would post such an unflattering picture of himself as his avatar?

Hint: Google "Heaven's Gate." 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

By the way, if we want to talk about lack of substance I couldn't compete with you Atheists on that! No application to life, no, "it's not a faith" - well, what is it? It's a vacuum, Mr Orek! I'm trying to "make you smile" there Mag! Do you have one in you?

It is indeed rather like talking to a turnip. At least a turnip knows when its been annihilated. Haven't we been through this?

(1) You haven't even clarified what the phrase "application to life" even means. It is just a vague ad hoc that you use to avoid addressing arguments.

(2) You haven't justified the propositional link between validity, soundness and "application to life", or why the merits of a propositions should be judged in this way.

(3) THere is no such thing as a burden of disproof. THat would be an argument from ignorance. No negative proposition can be a faith if there is not sufficient reason to hold the positive proposition it denies. Otherwise, anything, including propositions which directly oppose your own (such as "Allah exists) could be justified on the same grounds, and you would (and have) refuted yourself.

(4) It is not a vacuum, as that would imply belief in nothing. But that statement in turn would commit a false dichotomy fallacy. You either believe in God or you believe in nothing. This is a meaningless statement. Denial of a single proposition (the theistic one) does not entail the denail of all possible propositions. That is where your error lies. Again, we could justify precisely opposite conclusions to yours using the same faulty logic, such as you either believe Allah exists or you believe in nothing. The terms believe in nothing and do not believe in a certain something are contradistinctive. Mixing the two is the game of someone who does not know how to speak English properly.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Every post hammers one

Every post hammers one more nail into grammar girl on the cross of literacy. 

Will our messiah of mechanical verbiage never return to quell the erroneous ways of the newbie?

Oh woe unto the electricity that brings the fell taps of abused keyboards to my screen. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:
magilum wrote:

Maglium,

Well, I can appreciate your perspective on that.

By 'perspective,' I hope you mean easily confirmed fact.

mephibosheth wrote:
You haven't exactly been Johathan Winters yourself you know or the essence of gravitas.

If you're suggesting you were born old from a giant egg, I can buy that.

mephibosheth wrote:

It looks familiar? It should. Marshall Applewhite lead another cult that valued an afterlife more than this one.

mephibosheth wrote:

Back to the issues. I don't have any trouble with the possibility that I'm wrong on RRSQ deleting my thread on purpose. The RRSQ is not a thing I have proven again and again such that I know its integrity. Other things I have proven which you wouldn't dance to.

I don't have the proper decoder ring for this.

mephibosheth wrote:

By the way, if we want to talk about lack of substance I couldn't compete with you Atheists on that! No application to life, no, "it's not a faith" - well, what is it?It's a vacuum, Mr Orek!

Your argument is like this: "You don't put light bulbs up your ass?! Well, what the heck do you put up there?!" We've been trying to convey we don't put anything up there, but it's inconceivable to a seasoned catcher like yourself.

mephibosheth wrote:
I'm trying to "make you smile" there Mag! Do you have one in you?

No, your posts remind me of the frailty of the human mind.

mephibosheth wrote:
Mephibosheth (good to sleep to)

Stop being creepy, please.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Your

magilum wrote:

Your argument is like this: "You don't put light bulbs up your ass?! Well, what the heck do you put up there?!"

That's a fucking classic, man! ROTF

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: magilum

MattShizzle wrote:
magilum wrote:

Your argument is like this: "You don't put light bulbs up your ass?! Well, what the heck do you put up there?!"

That's a fucking classic, man! ROTF

Matshizzle,

Yes, that'll look good in your collection, Matshiz.

How you been buddy?

Mephibosheth (last week I couldn't even spell mephibosheth)

mark65
mark65's picture
User is offlineOffline
does the bible teach you to

does the bible teach you to talk down to people in that condescending and patronising manner, or does that come naturally to believers?

seriously what do you get out of posting in here, is there some kind of cheap thrill lurking amongst the unsavable?

you have nothing to say other than pointless antagonistic trolling.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:does the bible

Quote:

does the bible teach you to talk down to people in that condescending and patronising manner, or does that come naturally to believers?

Surely, you must have figured out that it is as natural to them as it is natural for objects to fall towards the Earth.  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

mark65
mark65's picture
User is offlineOffline
yes, its just that being

yes, its just that being talked down to by the piously smug makes me want to chainsaw faces.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

yes, its just that being talked down to by the piously smug makes me want to chainsaw faces.

It makes me smirk. It's rather like duelling with a goat on the finer points of Hegelian Phenomenology or quantum gravity. Getting talked down to by the pious is funny because in the thing which we are discussing, it usually transpires that I (or my atheist interlocutor) have much more versing in the topic at hand. You see, this is why it is so amusing. Because usually, and by the experience of my own encounters in conjunction with the statistics, you will find that they simply are not very bright. If they were, they would have the intellectual bravery to construct their beliefs based on proper method of inquiry.

-Me

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow.  This thread has made

Wow.  This thread has made me laugh more than most.

Mephibophleghmrgggghhh, you know that nobody here takes you seriously, right?  We honestly don't think you're capable of coming up with something clever enough to get you banned, so you're quite safe.

If you recall, my own eulogy received acolades in your oh-so-menacing attempt to make us face death.  I was quite disappointed that it got erased.  I thought it was some of my better prose, and represented my life pretty well.

I tell you what Mephibrolator, I'll start a new thread for you, and we'll write some more about death.

Books about atheism