Irrational reasons for believing/converting

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Irrational reasons for believing/converting

What are the most crazy unfounded reasons you have seen for converting from one religion to another,or from athestic beliefs to a belief?
My story is from my own mother,raised methodist,came down with TSS,prayed and said shed convert to catholicism if she lived through it.
Never gave a reason on why that particular religion,nor could put faith in science/doctors on the thought that maybe she was "saved" through mans critical thinking,knowelege,and...nvm,i cant go further,because it was "gods will",his infinite wisdom,etc and the other bullshit that comes with blind faith.

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
My mom doesn't want to

My mom doesn't want to deconvert because she likes the holidays......   Undecided Nevermind the fact that I've already disproved all her other arguments for believing in god.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
My mother says she belives

My mother says she belives based on what she perceives as "miracles". Then she further goes on to justify christianity because it "was the most logical"  hahaha

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if the usual

I wonder if the usual christian arguments have won any converts. Like the wonderful Pascal's wager. Has anyone ever seriously been cowardly enough to suck up to a god they know doesn't exist on the tiny probability that they are wrong? Are there people going to church every sunday 'just in case"?

My attitude has always been that if it turns out that christianity wins the theological lottery then I'm going to do my best to kick some divine arse. I may not get far but "it's better to die on your feet than live on your knees". I'd never suck up to that megalomaniac.

.....but then I think I may have a small problem with authority.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about getting 72 virgins

How about getting 72 virgins when you die?  (according to some Muslim faiths).  Why would you want virgins anyway?  Imagine all that fumbling around in the bedroom.  I'd take 1 slut over 72 virgins anyday.  Tongue out

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
lucidfox13 wrote: How about

lucidfox13 wrote:
How about getting 72 virgins when you die? (according to some Muslim faiths). Why would you want virgins anyway? Imagine all that fumbling around in the bedroom. I'd take 1 slut over 72 virgins anyday. Tongue out

I'd prefer 2-3 sluts.  But I can get that here in the real world, so I still have no reason to worship a magic sky-pixie of any kind. 

--Mack-daddy Shaun 

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
ShaunPhilly

ShaunPhilly wrote:

lucidfox13 wrote:
How about getting 72 virgins when you die? (according to some Muslim faiths). Why would you want virgins anyway? Imagine all that fumbling around in the bedroom. I'd take 1 slut over 72 virgins anyday. Tongue out

I'd prefer 2-3 sluts. But I can get that here in the real world, so I still have no reason to worship a magic sky-pixie of any kind.

--Mack-daddy Shaun

Well, I'm not greedy.  Quality over quantity.  Haha.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
72 virgins? That won't

72 virgins? That won't work. I'm gay. I'd prefer 72 rodeo cowboys. Or 72 truck drivers. But if I'm going to get 72 virgins when I get up there, I better take along a magazine. But then again, since I'm gay, I won't even be allowed in. That's fucked up.

Maybe there's a gay heaven. That'd be okay. But with my luck Richard Simmons will be my roomate.

I think I'll just stay here.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd rather have the sluts,

I'd rather have the sluts, too. By the way, would those female suicide bombers get 72 male virgins? Wouldn't that actually suck for them if so?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team