Documentaries about crazy religious people

TrickyNikki
TrickyNikki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Documentaries about crazy religious people

I have recently discovered, thanks to the wonder of google video, the divine Louis Theroux. I am in love with him. People in the UK probably know him, but I live on the state side of the pond and I'd never heard of him. I've searched through the forum trying to find mention of him and couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd post a few links to two of his documentaries about religion. His strategy is to both defend and challenge his subjects, which makes for some wicked awesome documentaries. 
The first is called The Most Hated Family in America and is about...drumroll please...the Phelps. I thought I'd seen crazy. I was wrong. 

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4413388146858417528&q=louis+theroux+phelps
The second is about televangelism and whatnot in Texas. More crazy stuff: 

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2174699430343389250&q=louis+theroux+televangelists
Enjoy Smiling

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow..... that's really

Wow..... that's really insane.  Are they a tax exempt charity as well? (just to add another whole level to the insanity measurement.)

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
That's some good stuff.  I

That's some good stuff.  I actually used to work part time for an Evangelical TV show while in college and that brought back nightmares.  They have this guy on most of those shows who motivates the crowd.  He tells everyone when to clap, when to shout out "amen" and "praise the lord".  It's alot like watching one of the Stepford movies.

The Lamb's seem to have some of the most "soul-less" faces and demeanor just like the televangelists I used to know and associate with.  It's like there's absolutely nothing inside.  Such irony.

I truly appreciate the BBC for this and any other institution (most of which seem to be foreign) that seeks to put to question the religious dominance and stupidity my country is under.  Theroux is great.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
religion is truely the opium

religion is truely the opium of the people

TrickyNikki
TrickyNikki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, I absolutely agree. I

Oh, I absolutely agree. I wish this sort of thing could be played over here in America. Imagine Theroux on ABC or even a smaller channel. It would never happen. And it absolutely should. 

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
His thing about Tom Metzger

His thing about Tom Metzger and American neo-Nazi families is also worth watching. Louis Theroux has balls the size of grapefruits.

TrickyNikki
TrickyNikki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh absolutely. Louis Theroux

Oh absolutely. Louis Theroux fascinates me. I've spent the last two weeks watching everything of his I could find online. The little girls (Lamb and Lynx) in Louis and The Nazis was so horrifying and so, so sad. 

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Louis Theroux kicks ass,I

Louis Theroux kicks ass,I first learned of him from Most Hated Family in America,that took huge balls.Not many things truly scare me,but being alone with those nutjobs(ok he had his crew,but his church of hate could easily outnumber them)just might make me shit myself,crazy people,well who knows what theyed do.

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "Most Hated Family"

The "Most Hated Family" video had been posted before on the forums. I hadn't seen the one from Texas, so thanks for posting it. It was very interesting and entertaining, in a creepy sort of way.

The saddest thing was near the end when the women kept saying "I used to be a homosexual..."

You still are honey. Even the angels all over your body ain't gonna change that!Laughing

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just think it's sad that

I just think it's sad that people continue to give the Phelps family attention because that's what they're after.

Regardless of how they're portrayed, no doubt Fred was proud that someone made a documentary about his group.

*sigh*

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.