The atheist priest

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
The atheist priest

I was wondering if anyone here, or knows of anyone, that once lived the life of a priest or other church leader, converting people and indoc.kids. I wonder what if feels like to be an atheist that was a priest and did these things.

Do they just write off as whomever is gulliable enough to believe it is on their own, or do they generally regret it?

Very curious I grow indeed.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's a post here from a

There's a post here from a former Jesuit priest.

Nero, if you read this, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was an assistant leader

I was an assistant leader on some short term missions trips and have converted people.  I do feel horrible about the things I did.  I am guilty of taking advantage of the hospitality of some of the poorest people in the world, and using their trust to change beliefs that had been untouched in their culture for hundreds (perhaps thousands) of years.  Though I haven't gone back to any of the specific cultures I "witnessed" to...  I have "sabotaged" evangelical and mormon missionaries in Central America and Africa.  When I have been in villages that have been targeted by missionaries, I would get to know people, and really seek to learn about them.  Many people were surprised by this as most "white people" who showed up simply handed things out, built houses, and then got to know them well enough so they could talk about Jesus.  I would tell people that Jesus is a fraud, their culture is beautiful, and not to be afraid to tell missionaries to leave them alone.  The relationships I built traveling independently were far more genuine and deep than anything I ever had when I was a missionary.  However, when I was a missionary, I did feel as if I was doing great things, I was saving souls after all!

I also tried converting good friends in high school and college.  I have made contact with them in recent years and have apologized. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dan Barker of the Freedom

Dan Barker of the Freedom From Religion Foundation used to be a fundamentalist preacher.  He was ordained right here in my rural Californey county and wrote Losing Faith in Faith.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ever heard of anyone who was

Ever heard of anyone who was an atheist but became a priest?...possibly to make money?

gregfl
User is offlineOffline
Booclay wrote: Ever heard

Booclay wrote:
Ever heard of anyone who was an atheist but became a priest?...possibly to make money?

Hmm...let's make a list!

L. Ron Hubbard.

Joseph Smith.

Jesus.

George Bush(high priest of idiocy)

Jerry 'I'm Dead!' Falwell

Ted 'I'm gay and snort meth!' Haggard

Kirk 'I gotta banana for you baby!' Cameron.

Need more?

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Forgive me if it's too

-Andyy Forgive me if it's too personal, but can you go in depth on the apolgies? How'd it go? What was said and such?

Thanks.

I suck at signatures.