I just had a long talk about religion with my hairdresser.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just had a long talk about religion with my hairdresser.

You know, it's interesting to find out how much people don't know about their own religion and the misconceptions they have about atheism.  Because my hairdresser is friendly and out of my personal circle, I've engaged her in conversation about religion and atheism a few times.  The first time I told her I was an atheist, she said, "No, you're not!" Oddly, when I finally came to a position of atheism and told a psychologist friend of mine, he said, "I don't think you're an atheist." 

I think many theists have this misconception that atheists have horns and cloven hooves and that anyone close to "normal" who behaves nicely toward them couldn't possibly be an atheist.

My hairdresser is a very nice lady, but she knows very little about her own religion (Catholicism) and the Bible.  Several times she's legitimized personal opinions by saying, "Well, the bible says an eye for an eye." If you know your bible, you know that that particular idea was specifically struck down by the Jesus character in the New Testament.  I've pointed this out to her twice now, but I've still heard her use the expression.  So, is she a Jew or a Catholic? Smiling  I don't think she knows.

She told me how pissed she was at Michael Newdow and exclaimed that this was a democracy and if the atheists didn't like saying "under god" they didn't have to.  I patiently explained the difference between a democracy and a democratic republic, as well as the idea of separation of church and state.  She was surprised to learn most of the founding fathers weren't Christians.  I asked her how she would feel about saying, "One nation under Allah."  She didn't like that idea.  I explained that's how we atheists felt and that anything in the public domain, paid for by tax dollars, should be religiously neutral if we were going to respect the establishment clause of the First Amendment. 

She wondered aloud how I knew "all that stuff."  I wonder how anyone could base their life on a book they know nothing about. 

She claimed miracles had been documented and proven.  I said, "Show me."  She couldn't.  She told me to look it up online.  And theists wonder why we question.  It's obvious to me this lady has never pursued the big questions.  I'm not sure she'd even know where to start.  

Our main enemies here are "I don't know" and "I don't care"--ignorance and apathy.  People are either too busy or too apathetic to really research why they believe what they believe.  The level of discourse in this forum is far beyond what I find in the general population.  How far would a proper education go toward ameliorating this problem?  I'm too fucking curious to ever stop learning, but some people are content to stagnate.  Why? 

One good thing: she admitted I'd made her think. Smiling  She also said she'd pass on the URL of this site to her atheist nephew.  I don't know if he'll show up, but, hey!  The more the merrier. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
We've all heard the saying

We've all heard the saying "ignorance is bliss".  You're on the money when you say the majority of people who call themselves christians are rather ignorant about their religion.  They know what they're told and it makes them happy, but they never put in any time and research even though under their false assumptions it would make them happier.  More often than not it makes them unhappy when the time and research is done so they stop or return to the ignorance.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: She

Iruka Naminori wrote:

She claimed miracles had been documented and proven. I said, "Show me." She couldn't. She told me to look it up online.

And, of course, you told her that proof is the responsibility of the one who makes the assertion, didn't you?

Saying "Look it up online" doesn't cut it.  Tongue out

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's funny because the new

It's funny because the new episode of the Infidel Guy podcast had our beloved St. Michael on, man that guy is a twit, anyway... he was claiming the same thing, documented miracles. What constitues as a miracle is pretty sad nowadays. No walking on water or raising people from the dead. If someone disease goesn into remission after say, praying to the pope, that is a miracle... as long as it doesn't come back. If it does come back that is just god's will. No limb regeneration or anything. How insanely silly.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Iruka

Susan wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

She claimed miracles had been documented and proven. I said, "Show me." She couldn't. She told me to look it up online.

And, of course, you told her that proof is the responsibility of the one who makes the assertion, didn't you?

Saying "Look it up online" doesn't cut it. Tongue out

She changed the subject, but yes, "Prove it" was the gist of my argument. Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: It's funny

BGH wrote:
It's funny because the new episode of the Infidel Guy podcast had our beloved St. Michael on, man that guy is a twit, anyway... he was claiming the same thing, documented miracles. What constitues as a miracle is pretty sad nowadays. No walking on water or raising people from the dead. If someone disease goesn into remission after say, praying to the pope, that is a miracle... as long as it doesn't come back. If it does come back that is just god's will. No limb regeneration or anything. How insanely silly.

Yes, I mentioned the part about no limb regeneration.  I love that site about god hating amputees.  It shows how utterly without merit claims of the miraculous are.  Miracles define themselves out of existence. 

BTW <---new internet sin (hehe), I love that Carl Sagan quote on your sig. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote: We've all

thingy wrote:

We've all heard the saying "ignorance is bliss". You're on the money when you say the majority of people who call themselves christians are rather ignorant about their religion. They know what they're told and it makes them happy, but they never put in any time and research even though under their false assumptions it would make them happier. More often than not it makes them unhappy when the time and research is done so they stop or return to the ignorance.

Yeah, being curious set me up for a lot of turmoil.  It's hard to compete with fantasy, isn't it? 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: BTW

Iruka Naminori wrote:

BTW <---new internet sin (hehe),

Bad Iruka.  Bad.  Bad!!!  You'll go to hell in a handbasket for that! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to know more about

I used to know more about religion and freethought than I do now.  I've forgotten some things, gotten rusty.  I have such a lack of time to keep up with everything I want to keep up with.  I also have a lack of money, but I intend to buy Sam Harris' The End of Faith next time I go to the book store.  I also want to get Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion but $27 is way too much.  I'll wait for the paperback.  The Borders I went to last week, like many book stores, has a small atheism section.  Disappointing.

I used to be able to make better arguments.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
SassyDevil wrote: The

SassyDevil wrote:
The Borders I went to last week, like many book stores, has a small atheism section. Disappointing.

The borders near home and the dymocks near work both have 2/3rds of the atheism/freethinking/humanist section taken up with copies of The God Delusion.  Thank FSM for online ordering with delivery to work. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You're luck you didn't leave

You're luck you didn't leave bald.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 ignorance in a faith is

ignorance in a faith is not proof of an ignorant faith. If that were true niether science or God would exsist.

The "gift of faith is not supposed to be a blind adherence to religiuos or scientific dogma at the expence of rational thought. It is no gift to close your mind and claim that something is true just because it was found in a text book or the Bible. Neither science or religion would survive that type of process.

Common practice of the reigious and scientific is making a hypothesis to explain observations. The direction taken is the problem, not the process. Scientific knowlege aginst God's exsistance is science taking over areas originally considered God's territory. That is a proof of man's ignorance to the world around him.

The question  rightous have to ask themselves Is God disappearing or is the uncertainty we need a God to explain deminishing?

Ask your hairdresser how to cut hair and you will get a better answer.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually faith in and of

Actually faith in and of itself is ignorant.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "gift of faith is not

The "gift of faith is not supposed to be a blind adherence to religiuos or scientific dogma at the expence of rational thought

The term scientific dogma is definitionally incoherent. It is like saying cold fire or Catholic virgin alter boy. Rational thought is the philosophical basis behind scientific induction (largely thanks to the atheization of scientific philosophy post-Enlightenment).

Common practice of the reigious and scientific is making a hypothesis to explain observations.

Since when does religion abide by this process?

Scientific knowlege aginst God's exsistance is science taking over areas originally considered God's territory. That is a proof of man's ignorance to the world around him.

That is epistemilogically inocherent. Science is a tool which provides natural explanations for natural phenomenon. There is no meaningful ontology for supernatural, so God's territory will remain safe, seeing as there is none of it.

The question  rightous have to ask themselves Is God disappearing or is the uncertainty we need a God to explain deminishing?

The religious are reightous now? How odd. The latter is correct. God sits in the gaps. However, there are some good deductive arguments against the existence of God. Have a look at my thread called the information/matter conjecture is a crisis for the existence of God.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: What constitues

BGH wrote:
What constitues as a miracle is pretty sad nowadays. 

I was having a similar conversation one day with some coworkers. One of them pointed out to me that the fact that I have children is a miracle from god. I never thought I would have to sit down with a 30 year old man with 2 children of his own and explain the reproductive system. Tongue out

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: BGH

AbandonMyPeace wrote:

BGH wrote:

I was having a similar conversation one day with some coworkers. One of them pointed out to me that the fact that I have children is a miracle from god. I never thought I would have to sit down with a 30 year old man with 2 children of his own and explain the reproductive system. Tongue out

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. I guess for him it is virgin births and miracles, maybe he should talk to his wife. 

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: AbandonMyPeace

BGH wrote:
AbandonMyPeace wrote:

BGH wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. I guess for him it is virgin births and miracles, maybe he should talk to his wife.

Oh! Ouch. Yeah I didnt even think about it quite like that.  

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
My use of the word "Dogma"

My use of the word "Dogma" is a bit of artistic license to direct a point of discussion. Dogmra signifies the belief in a writting that carries an opinion which seems true to the person.

A hypothosis is a guess based on accumulated knowlege (either right or wrong) and a point of view. Is the sunrise an act of God or is it a natural occurring event or did God set this natural occurring event into motion... Neither side will truly win, the point of view will eliminate it. That thread is too long. I do appreciate the listing of an earlier thread. I am not aware of all past discusions.

To me, blind faith is the problem. Faith is not a problem but simply a level of ignorance, but ignorant is the nature of man. I will dismiss anyone of religious or scientific background who claims to have all the answers. As my hairdress siad "If you can't cut hair, you can't impress me. ( I really like it because it was said to a polotician.

I do not understand the "God of gaps" please give me the thread where that came from. I don't see God defined as a God of gaps until we can define ourselves as "man without gaps."

DeeLock
DeeLock's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Dogmra signifies the

Quote:
Dogmra signifies the belief in a writting that carries an opinion which seems true to the person.

Just because it is written down dosen't give it authoritarian priveledges. People should come up with their own conclusions, be it good or bad, not from reading an ancient tome.

Quote:
A hypothosis is a guess based on accumulated knowlege (either right or wrong) and a point of view.

In fact, a hypothesis is an educated guess based on an observation.

Hmm, the apple falls to the ground, there must be some underlying force acting on it to make it fall. i.e. gravity.

Quote:
Is the sunrise an act of God or is it a natural occurring event or did God set this natural occurring event into motion... Neither side will truly win, the point of view will eliminate it.

This is more of a deist's point of view, that "god" created everything but then stepped back to let it happen. I think that this is just lazy thinking. It is taking all of the moral issues out of the equation but you still identify with xtianity. Look to science and logic if you want to think like this.

Quote:
To me, blind faith is the problem. Faith is not a problem but simply a level of ignorance, but ignorant is the nature of man. I will dismiss anyone of religious or scientific background who claims to have all the answers. As my hairdress siad "If you can't cut hair, you can't impress me. ( I really like it because it was said to a polotician.

Agreed

Quote:
I do not understand the "God of gaps" please give me the thread where that came from. I don't see God defined as a God of gaps until we can define ourselves as "man without gaps."

Well, for one, where did all the dinosaurs go? Why are there fossils? Why does evolution happen? It dosen't say that it does in the bible...so...the bible is still valid?

Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night.

-Woody Allen

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Just because it is

Quote: Just because it is written down doesn’t give it authoritarian privileges. People should come up with their own conclusions, be it good or bad, not from reading an ancient tome.  

I couldn’t agree with you more. The only problem is that I don’t have the time to retest every theory out there. Eventually we all have to take some information on “faith” or trust. Unfortunately that proves us all a bit ignorant and the worst part is we often trust in the people and writings that prove us right. Most of what I know is what I have read and the words I believe are that which best fit my preconceived notions. When doing research most people will want to follow their path first. It is our nature.  

Quote: In fact, a hypothesis is an educated guess based on an observation. Hmm, the apple falls to the ground; there must be some underlying force acting on it to make it fall. i.e. gravity.  

I don’t have to drop an apple to believe in gravity, nor will I use buoyancy to disprove it. I take medication when I feel bad because I have faith in my doctor and I know it isn’t demons attacking me. I don’t disagree with science because it has been wrong in the past. I do believe that facts remain the same while theories can and often do change and  science is about beliefs based on theories in progress. A scientific hypothesis can change because a persons initial point of view was incorrect. 

Quote:This is more of a deist's point of view, that "god" created everything but then stepped back to let it happen. I think that this is just lazy thinking. It is taking all of the moral issues out of the equation but you still identify with xtianity. Look to science and logic if you want to think like this 

My logic also tells me that I can not control cause and effect in a large scale. Logic tells me that if there were a God he would have the intelligence to understand “cause and effect” analysis. The existence of "cause and effect relationships" is what makes experimental science possible. I really hope that any God would be smarter than me. 

Quote: Well, for one, where did all the dinosaurs go? Why are there fossils? Why does evolution happen? It doesn’t say that it does in the bible...so...the bible is still valid?  

I am not in the Bible either, but I am pretty sure I am here. I personally can not see the relevance of these questions as an opposition to the Bible. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: Ask your

Mjolnin wrote:

Ask your hairdresser how to cut hair and you will get a better answer.

Of course my hairdresser needs to know how to cut hair; however, if she is going to live her life based upon a book, she should at least have some idea of what is in that book.  Her responsibility to learn doesn't end at cutting, coloring and styling hair. 

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Of course my

Quote:

Of course my hairdresser needs to know how to cut hair; however, if she is going to live her life based upon a book, she should at least have some idea of what is in that book.  Her responsibility to learn doesn't end at cutting, coloring and styling hair. 

That is a sad and true statement. Many people are simply following a group and have only some idea of their faith. Only people who are worse is the ones who think they know what it says and try to teach a limited view. I am no theologin but I know the Bible isn't the only source of knowlege, even the Bible says that.