Should atheists preach to others?

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Should atheists preach to others?

Well, just wondering if you guys think that it's okay to "preach" to other people about atheism.  I know it has always been a taboo in modern society, (one of the two things you don't talk about in public--religion and politics) but religion is always one thing that fascinated me.  Since becoming an atheist, that facination has turned into curiousity on why people believe these ridiculous things.  My question is should I try to "convert" people to atheism?  Naturally I'm a big mouth already, and all of my friends are aware of my beliefs (or lack of). 

But one thing that came up recently, is the question of "am I no better than the Christians?"  They preach a lot too, but then again my message is about rationality and not fear.  Does that make me any better, or am I on the same level of those that I oppose?  Sometimes I feel a little bit "elitist" in my discussions... which I don't like.  I mean, all people of any belief think that they are right, but does something about being an atheist give you the upperhand?  I've heard people talk about religion as a "mind virus," which I agree with in some ways.  However, isn't it very arrogant to tell someone they have a "mind virus?" Granted, I have friends of all different religious background.  I would never refuse to be someone's friend because they believe some silly things, but I still like to talk to them about it.

I've been a part of many religions, none of them were right for me.  However, in every one of them I was certain (at that time) that I had everything figured out.  Looking back now, I realize that the beliefs I held back then were very dumb... but then again, is atheism another "phase" I could be going though?  Although atheism isn't a religion, you still have a strong belief (that a god doesn't exist).  And like I said before, I'm starting to get that elitist attitude.  

I digress... but back to the original point.  I've always held Christians in contempt for going around trying to convert people.  However, after some introspection, I realize I have been doing something really similar.  So, is it wrong to spread the word of rational thinking?  And is it okay to have an "elitist" mentality?

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
In which way are you doing

In which way are you doing something similar?

* Do you go out on the streets preaching to anyone within earshot? Do you do anything and everything you can to get communication going with politicians and try to influence their views, upcoming laws etc based on your beliefs? Do you make yourself known to the media and try to influence them based on your beliefs? Do you try to affect worldviews and anyone with power based on your beliefs? If so, you're on par with the extreme fundamentalist and extreme evangelical christians.
* Do you go out doorknocking to try and spread the fallacies of religion? Do you set up stalls with Atheist propaganda or do letterbox runs with such items? Do you speak in public, but only at occasions where people are only there because they are interested in your views and what you have to say? If so, you're on par with moderate evangelical christians.
* Do you try to bring it up in general conversations with people? If so, you're on par with the more vocal and outgoing moderate christians.
* Do you only speak your mind when others bring up the topic? Do you only defend your views if others approach you to do so? If so, you're on par with the moderate christians.
* Do you hide away and try to not let others know your real views? If so, you're on par with (unfortunately) the majority of Atheists.

One thing many "typical" or "moderate" atheists accuse the Rational Response Squad of is being fundamentalist, evangelical, and sometimes even extremist. The most I have seen is action on par with the moderate evangelical christians from my questions above, and even then it is not as regular active or loud. The majority of us on the boards I hazard to say are actually only on par with moderate christians, yet we get labelled as fundamentalist or evangelical.

You must remember when it comes to theism and atheism that a label applied to theists is VERY different to that same label applied to atheists.

As to your question on how you should act, there's a number of different ways you can look at this. The majority of Atheists see the way evangelical christians and up act and they are embarrased by it. They dislike when these types of christians spread their ignorance. These atheists don't want other atheists to be seen in the same light and try to keep the rest of us a few steps below it, sometimes to our detriment. They think along the lines "don't sink to their level, or we will be seen as being no different".

This passiveness won't work, we'll keep hiding away until there's nothing left.

Another way to think of it is the golden rule. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Well, lets turn that statement around. "Others want done unto them as they do unto you". Logically (and I use this word regrettably as logic and religion very rarely if ever co-exist) if a theist was to believe in this teaching and evangelised to you, knocked on your door, tried to force their religion on you ... then they want you to knock on their door, they want you to evangelise to them and try to break them from their religion.

This is where I personally see the RRS as fitting in. The RRS are doing unto the theists as the theists do to us but our efforts are more reactive where the theists are proactive. We react to what they do, and give them the same.

They use strong phrases like "homosexuality is the devil", so we react in like with "religion is a mind virus". They come off with an air of mightier than thou due saying they are chosen and will definitely go to heaven while everyone else is damned to hell, we come off with an air of mightier than though because we actually understand the concepts of science and logic.

Quote:
Granted, I have friends of all different religious background. I would never refuse to be someone's friend because they believe some silly things, but I still like to talk to them about it.

Moderate evangelical christians and lower are along those lines, I'm yet to hear of an atheist who isn't like that as well. There may not be agreements with views and beliefs but unlike evangelical and above, we don't refuse contact or technology/knowledge on those who do not share our beliefs.

Quote:
I mean, all people of any belief think that they are right, but does something about being an atheist give you the upperhand?

Yep, the fact that if given enough proof and evidence, we will accept new things. If everything these theists profess was to be proven tomorrow with undisputable evidence, we would believe in creationism, a 6000 year old world, Jesus and even God. In the meantime, we believe that which has has the proof and that which has the evidence.

Disclaimer: These are purely my own personal views of where the RRS stands. I may be completely incorrect and would appreciate being corrected. At this stage I myself am at the "moderate christian" level, but until the last few months was on the "majority of atheists". I would like to take the next step up.

P.S. Fuck me, I was expecting this reply to be a few paragraphs at most. How the hell can I crap on that much?

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Preaching or Education???

Preaching or Education??? Educating and disseminating scientific facts and the ideas of logical reasoning seems more educative then attempting to sway people to you point of view, which would be considered preaching.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you're going to stand on

If you're going to stand on a crate beside a flaming garbage can and start screaming scientific theories then yeah, I'd say you're going too far. But calm rational discourse? Nothing wrong with that. Don't make it the only thing you talk about, but don't be afraid to talk about it either.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
I generally wait until a

I generally wait until a theist has opened the door to discussion of religion by bringing it up directly or indirectly. I don't just walk up to random people and say "Have you heard there's no god?!?!"

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Constructive actions, like

Constructive actions, like the Atheist blood drive, speak for themselves. If the topic of religion is brought up, the best thing is to speak plainly and calmly in address of whatever comes up. If you're asked whether you believe in “god,” tell the truth. It's impossible to persuade a person with sheer insistence. In the moment there will always be an impasse. An intelligent person is helpless when their own questions are brought to the fore and given a voice, and eventually their doubts will be too much to bear. That's my view.

MisterDax
User is offlineOffline
I think it is ok to talk

I think it is ok to talk about religion, politics and even atheism to others, but if by preaching you mean forcing others into the discussion, then I must disagree. Having discussions with others is fine, but starting to pestering others about atheism is counter-productive.