God & the Presidency

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
God & the Presidency

There's a good op-ed in USAToday about the varying degrees to which presidential candidates profess their "faith":

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/11/when-religion-b.html#more

The author of this was interviewed today on NPR's Talk of the Nation also:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16425740

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    Our top choices for

Our top choices for leadership are embarrassing, why ? , yeah why ??? TV, media, and crap education ring any bells ..... eat the rich, anarchy, destroy the present system, WAKE up .... beam me up scotty , brings to mind that movie, "Network".

"I'm not going to take it anymore", but shit I'm stuck here .... what's a mother to do ? Read the Tao?

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
I just read the article, I

I just read the article, I feel sorry for you Americans that have to put up with that crap.

So any of you chosen a new country to move to yet? Smiling

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is why all

This is why all non-Christian Americans, not just atheists, need to demand from the canidates to answer as to why they are pandering to one religion for votes.

What society is doing today is exactly oposite of what the founders invisioned. They were humans and panderd as well, but all of them from deist to Christian understood that goverment was of the people, not of the Christians.

They dilliberately left out of the Constitution and mention of Christianity and Jesus.

THEY WERE FOR FREEDOM OF RELIGION, no one should doubt that. But they were against monopolies of power which is written in 3 places.

1. The establishment clause of the First Amendment

2. "No religious test"

3. No manditory swearing to any deity in the oath of office required at all.

Since the cold war Christian revisionists have waged an effective war on the truth of the history of this country. They would have you, the non-Christian citizen of any label, beleive that it is your duty never to seek any office even though you pay taxes. They would have you believe that you are a mere guest in the house of Jesus, even though the Constitution makes no requirement of any citizen to swear to Jesus.

The fact is that "God" in the mind of the founders was a matter of concious, not goverment favortism. "God" was not printed on our first currancy and it was not in the pledge(written by a Christian who insisted they not add any referance to God) because he believed that the pledge was not a deity thing, but a citizen thing.

Our nation went through a Revolution and 2 world wars without this Christian propaganda hijacking national symbols.

These same people who insist on God in the pledge and on our money would not want to give the same equal exposure to the same mass scale for the Barbary Treaty(Treaty of Tripoly) articall 11, |"As the goverment of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"

Freedom of religion did not start with the Mayflower. Those people did seek to excape the king, mostly to find new resources. But they did so so that they could establish their own sectarian camps that were very dogmatic.

It wasnt untill the Constitution and it's writting that the founders faught and squablled about HOW to represent religion, since none could agree on one view, they decided to protect freedom of religion by leaving it up to the individual by not playing favorites to one over another.

Jefferson in his penning of the Virgina Religious freedom act convinced a very dogmatic state, even before the revolution, that it was within their best intrest, that when writting law, that they base it on common consesus and not common dogma.

Unfortunatly right wing fearmongers would have everyone believe  that anyone who doesnt bow to Jesus, is incapable of holding office. This attitude is unacceptable under a Constitution that garuntees equallity. THIS IS FOR ALL NON CHRISTIANS READING THIS, NOT JUST ATHEISTS.

They think secularists are facists when secularists are every every religion, and atheists both democrat and republican. They are simply people who understand that there is a "time and place" for everything. 

Just like you wouldnt play football in a hocky rink, a state house, a courtroom, nor capital hill are churches. They are not there for Christians to say, "Jesus is our president".

If these Christians want a goverment run on religion, to understand what a bad idea that is, ask a Christian in Iran how much of a voice they have.

It is a fallacy that secularism is a dirty word. Quite the oposite. It is because of secular goverments that a Church and Mosque and Synogouge and Temple can all be in the same city or town. It is the reason that we now have Jews and even a Muslim and an atheist in our Congress.

But, it will not stay that way if Christians insist on promoting Jesus via goverment force. That can only lead this country to end up being just as dogmatic and divided as the Middle East is.

Freedom of religion is garunteed. But no sect or ideology is intitled to hijack the govement and speak on behalf of everyone as to what they should believe. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
During the "Talk of the

During the "Talk of the Nation" interview, a woman called in who was both lesbian and atheist, and she said that she was far more afraid to "come out" as an atheist than as a lesbian.

I have to say I agree with her. Just about every time atheists are mentioned in mainstream media, it seems nobody can say the word "atheist" without sticking some kind of negative adjective in front of it - like "militant", "hostile", "aggessive".

It seems like the general attitude of the public towards atheists is about where it was at 20 years ago with homosexuals - largely negative. Though it does give me hope that the gay population has made great strides toward equality since then. With a little luck and lots of activism we'll make the same progress.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote: During the

geirj wrote:

During the "Talk of the Nation" interview, a woman called in who was both lesbian and atheist, and she said that she was far more afraid to "come out" as an atheist than as a lesbian.

I have to say I agree with her. Just about every time atheists are mentioned in mainstream media, it seems nobody can say the word "atheist" without sticking some kind of negative adjective in front of it - like "militant", "hostile", "aggessive".

It seems like the general attitude of the public towards atheists is about where it was at 20 years ago with homosexuals - largely negative. Though it does give me hope that the gay population has made great strides toward equality since then. With a little luck and lots of activism we'll make the same progress.

When Malcom X blasted white racists, could you blame him? We have something that he didnt have untill the end of his life. He finally realized how to seperate white racists from all whites. Certainly we as atheists find deity claims absurd, but we must understand that there are those within theism that do not wish us ill will, no matter our dissagreements.

And you are absolutly right, time will allow for the de-stigmatizing of atheists. Just as it was for blacks and gays, someday when you say that you are an atheist the worst someone will do is debate you.

I have been active since 01 and to see where atheists were then to where they are now is like night and day. Atheists in America at least, are far from mainstreem. But to compair where atheists were in 01 to having Infidel Guy on prime time TV and RRS on Nightline and all the atheist authors on the best seller list, it is a fast progression exceeding a pace I expected.

I think in 40 to 60 years as our voice grows the negitive stereotypes will dissipate and more and more atheists will partisipate in all levels of politics. If Thomas Jefferson a deist who denied the virgin birth and death of Jesus and equated it to magic can be president, to quote MLK "We shall overcome".

It all depends  upon upkeep and drive. In all our blasphemy and criticism I  do at the same time think it is important to convey to theists that even though, "We think they are full of shit", atheists are not looking to create a facist state where freedom of concious does not exist.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Time Magazine each week

Time Magazine each week rates a candidate something like this (but without a value judgement) rating them from a "1"(secularist) to a "10"(theocrat.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
These were the good old

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where's the thread where we

Where's the thread where we mock the republican debate in real time?  Smiling

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
rab wrote: These were the

JFK had to say things like this because the average American was afraid that he would allow the Pope to run the country.  So, I'm not ready to give JFK a medal for the speech.  He had ulterior motives.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
My girlfriend and I have

My girlfriend and I have considered the following three countries to move too.

Canada, australia, Italy. The first two are obvious since they speak English. She doesn't like the cold so we came up with Australia. We are both Italiano and I have famiglia in Italia.

P.S. Mike Hukabee and Duncan Hunter are so ridiculous.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: JFK had to say

Nero wrote:

JFK had to say things like this because the average American was afraid that he would allow the Pope to run the country. So, I'm not ready to give JFK a medal for the speech. He had ulterior motives.

Too bad candidates today didn't have similar "motives."  

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
We need to be more vocal as

We need to be more vocal as individuals and as a group.  Not necessarily in your face vocal, although there are times...

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150