Woman killed on ride at Christian festival

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Woman killed on ride at Christian festival

Woman Falls to Death From Ride in Wis.

By Associated Press

OSHKOSH, Wis. - A woman attending a Christian festival died Saturday after plunging about 45 feet from a bungee-like amusement ride.

Workers at the Lifest 2007 event shut down the Air Glory ride after the accident, which occurred about 4:45 p.m. A prayer service was held at 7 p.m. and the music festival resumed about 7:30 p.m.

The woman, whose name and age was not released by Oshkosh police, was pronounced dead at a local hospital several hours after the accident.

Lifest is an annual Christian music festival that also features rides and sports.

An announcement about the death was made from a stage just after 9:30 p.m. The music continued but with more mellow worship songs.

Oshkosh Police Sgt. Todd Wrage said few details were available Saturday night.

"What we do know, from the reports we've gotten, is that she apparently fell 40 to 50 feet," Wrage said.

The Air Glory ride is described as a ride whose mechanism is similar to bungee-jumping.

Brian Childers of Kenosha was in line for the ride and witnessed the fall.

Two people went up in the ride, and when they pulled the release Childers said he heard a snapping sound. One person fell and the other remained swinging in the ride, he said.

"(The person) hit the ground and she was not moving at all," Childers told the Oshkosh Northwestern newspaper.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

So is God pissed at this particular group or is he not the Christian God? If it starts raining marinara sauce we all better accept the Flying Spaghetti Monster into our hearts! Eye-wink

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just wait...she'll wake up

Just wait...she'll wake up in the mortuary or something like that Eye-wink

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Master Jedi Dan wrote: Just

Master Jedi Dan wrote:
Just wait...she'll wake up in the mortuary or something like that Eye-wink

that'd depend on the faith of the person who prayed over the corpse. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Someone dies and they don't

Someone dies and they don't shut the festival down? Hell I have been at festivals where too many people with blue hair show up and they shut them down.

Let me guess nobody is going to get sued either...

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not totally sure what

I'm not totally sure what the point of this thread is. Could someone clarify?

If you're insinuating that Christians getting killed in accidents somehow disproves the existence of God, then I'm going to have to laugh at you. All of us, Christians included, are most certainly bound to the law of gravity. Wink

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Well the God could

Well the God could have made sure the bungee didn't break or she landed on something soft to break her fall, i mean this god has made many miracles when it is convient, and unable to prove, why not save it's followers. Maybe she didn't pray correctly, believe enough, followed the wrong interpretation, wrong church etc etc etc

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote: Well

latincanuck wrote:
Well the God could have made sure the bungee didn't break or she landed on something soft to break her fall, i mean this god has made many miracles when it is convient, and unable to prove, why not save it's followers. Maybe she didn't pray correctly, believe enough, followed the wrong interpretation, wrong church etc etc etc

Why would he have made sure that the cord didn't break?  Why is he obligated to do something like that?  The laws of physics and chance apply whether it's a Christian, an atheist, a Buddhist, or whatever kind of person that rides the ride.  The woman accepted the risk just like any other person would have, and unfortunately a freak accident occured.  

There seems to be this misconception that Christians somehow defy the laws of existence on earth when they decide to follow God, yet I see no rational explanation for this.  Last I checked, 10 out of 10 people die, regardless of something as arbitrary as belief.   

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    There is absolutely

There is absolutely no misconception, God supposedly performs miracles, incase you haven't read the bible yet, or head so many miracles, I mean he can stop the sun from moving for 24 hours, then there is the whole fatima thing, you know rain, then sun and the mud dried up nearly instantly. I never said christians defy the laws of physics by any means, however God can do it, so why didn't he do it to save the life of a follower, doesn't god care and love his followers? (remeber take this with some tongue in cheek)

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:

latincanuck wrote:
There is absolutely no misconception, God supposedly performs miracles, incase you haven't read the bible yet, or head so many miracles, I mean he can stop the sun from moving for 24 hours, then there is the whole fatima thing, you know rain, then sun and the mud dried up nearly instantly. I never said christians defy the laws of physics by any means, however God can do it, so why didn't he do it to save the life of a follower, doesn't god care and love his followers? (remeber take this with some tongue in cheek)

Yes, I'm familiar with the Bible, but I'm skeptical of the miracles contained therein, as well as the supposed miracles of our modern time.  I've never seen a miracle, or the need for a miracle for that matter, so I guess it's just not something that I look for. 

I do believe that God loves and cares about his followers, but like I said, 10 out of 10 people die, so it would seem that love really doesn't have much to do with the nature of death.  Some just go out in more embarrassing ways than others.     

In related news, did you hear about that girl that got her feet chopped off on a ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom?  She must have really pissed God off.  The only thing worse than dying on an amusement park ride in my opinion would be to have your feet chopped off on one.  Remind me to never go to her church.  

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
But Six Flags isn't a

But Six Flags isn't a Christian theme park!

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: But Six

MattShizzle wrote:
But Six Flags isn't a Christian theme park!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now that I think about it,

Now that I think about it, of course Six Flags isn't a Christian theme park.  SIX Flags.  Duh. 

I think I'm going to start my own Christian theme park.  I'll call it Seven Flags.  Aaah, God is smiling.  

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Maybe I should start 666

Maybe I should start 666 flags, and make it a theme park MOCKING Christianity! Anyone here who'd want to come? :ROTF:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Featured rides could

Featured rides could be:

The Luciferian Descent (free-fall type ride)

Waterfall From Grace (log ride)

The Wheel of Confusion (ferris wheel)

The Spiral of Doubt (like the gravity wheel)

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (carousel)

The River of Blood (like those simulated lazy rivers)

Other family-oriented attractions:

The Guillotine Photo Booth (like the fake stockade)

The Marriage Supper of the Goat (snack bar) 

The Lillypad Game (frogs...plagues...lol)

The False Prophet (fortune teller)

The Number of the Beast (weight guessing)

And of course the hand stamps would be a big red 666.   

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Maybe I

MattShizzle wrote:
Maybe I should start 666 flags, and make it a theme park MOCKING Christianity! Anyone here who'd want to come? :ROTF:

ROFL!! I'll come Laughing out loud

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always find it amusing

I always find it amusing that many theists , thank god for all good things , but fail to see him as to blame for bad things....

its ......interesting..

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Featured rides

jmm wrote:

Featured rides could be:

I do love it when a theist has a great sense of humor!

Those are hysterical. Thanks for the chuckle.

(However, I will not be participating in The Number of the Beast. Smiling )

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What about a game sort of

What about a game sort of like pin the tail on the donkey - pin Jesus on the cross! Evil

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: jmm

Susan wrote:
jmm wrote:

Featured rides could be:

I do love it when a theist has a great sense of humor!

Those are hysterical. Thanks for the chuckle.

(However, I will not be participating in The Number of the Beast. Smiling )

When you have to defend beliefs as irrational as mine on a daily basis, a sense of humor is vital.