Best Buy joins War on Christmas

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Best Buy joins War on Christmas

Not really, but they are keeping it "Happy Holidays." Good place to shop, too.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/bestbuy.asp

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I might work there and I

I might work there and I have a feeling someone will complain about it at some point.

Me - "Happy Holidays!"

Person - "Happy Holidays? What do you hate CHRISTMAS?!?!"

Me - "Well I can't really tell what religion you are just by looking so I treat you like I would everyone else and show the same amount respect to all of the holidays."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Below is a copy of an email

Below is a copy of an email I sent to Best Buy. I recommend everyone take a moment to drop them an email in support of their position. This is something simple you can do to help, and it only takes a second.

Dear Sirs,

I have read your press release regarding the use of "holiday" instead of "christmas" and I would like to thank you for taking a sane and conservative stance on this issue. There are quite a lot of Americans who do not recognize the Christian holidays, and it means a lot to me and others like me to know that there is someplace to shop where we won't be constantly told to enjoy a holiday we don't celebrate.

Please continue this policy in years to come, and know that you have earned a loyal customer while you have the courage to maintain a neutral stance on the holiday season.

Thank you,

xxxxxx xxxxx

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I sent them an e mail

I sent them an e mail thanking them as an atheist and on behalf of Jews, moselems, Wiccans and the 25% of Americans who do not consider themselves Christians (not to mention those Christians, such as Jehovah's Witnesses who consider celebrating holidays as sinful.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Excellent idea Hamby I think

Excellent idea Hamby I think we shall make it an official effort. Your words will be sent by many people. What means of contact did you use?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I went to their site and

I went to their site and used the "contact us" link.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
yep. Matt has it right. I

yep. Matt has it right. I just followed "contact us" until I got to a form, and sent it in the "general questions" category.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I also sent a copy of my e

I also sent a copy of my e mail and the explanation to the FFRF.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm posting to move this

I'm posting to move this thread up to the top again. I think this is an important thing that all atheists can do in five minutes. This is a big moment in the "War on Christmas." We have a minor victory. Let's hold on to it.

Books about atheism

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was taught to say 'Happy

I was taught to say 'Happy Holidays' because there are so many holidays in a row-- Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, then New Year's. You never know what religion somebody is when you meet them, so we just said 'Happy Holidays' as sort of a blanket thing.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
neon wrote:I was taught to

neon wrote:
I was taught to say 'Happy Holidays' because there are so many holidays in a row-- Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, then New Year's. You never know what religion somebody is when you meet them, so we just said 'Happy Holidays' as sort of a blanket thing.

Hey, I been slighted. What about Festivus, the holiday for the rest of us?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had an interesting

I had an interesting experience the other day. I had to go to the mall, because it has the only decent shoe store in my little po-dunk college town. While I was there, a young woman at one of the kiosks pulled me aside and asked me if I had started Christmas shopping yet.

I responded with my standard response, which is the most friendly smile I can muster, and a very polite, "I'm not Christian."

She, like everyone else, was slightly taken aback, but smiled back and said, "Oh, that's cool. I'm not either. Do you have a girlfriend? Is her birthday coming up?" (She was selling some kind of manicure stuff.)

I don't always get that reaction, of course. Sometimes people act offended, but here are the two things I think are important. 1) I only gave out the necessary info. All she needed to know was that I'm not Christian. My religious lack of belief was completely extraneous, so I didn't mention it. 2) I smiled warmly and spoke politely, without a hint of sarcasm or annoyance.

I've said this before, and I'll probably try to make it into my last words if I end up on a death bed: You don't have to "confront" people for assuming that you are Christian. A polite, friendly correction usually does the trick. And, if someone does get pissy when you're polite and friendly, then you have the moral high ground, and can say something like, "Well, I'm sorry you're offended that I'm not Christian. I hope you have a good day, anyway."

Books about atheism