Shermer at FSGP PARTY Friday the 13th in Philly

EverLastingGodS...
User is offlineOffline
Shermer at FSGP PARTY Friday the 13th in Philly

Sapient and all of RRS, how could I have forgotten to post this announcement here? There's a huge shindig this Friday night in Philadelphia, the FSGP's Anti-Superstition Party, at 8pm. But before that, skeptic Michael Shermer will give a speech at 7 and sign copies of his new book.

Here's the detailed announcement, the same one I posted at IG's site.

Quote:

The Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia, http://www.fsgp.org, is inviting one and all to come to one of our biggest and most popular events, the Anti-Superstition Party, on Friday October 13, 2006 in Philadelphia.

I have details available in a pdf, but here is the basic information (reprinted with permission, contact me for phone and email info):

Quote:
An Invitation to Attend FSGP’s
Anti-Superstition Party and Opening of the
Friggatriskaidekaphobia Treatment Center
Ethical Society Building

1906 South Rittenhouse Square
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103

Friday, October 13, 2006 at 8:00 PM
Free and Open To The Public!

Only one thing can be predicted for this Friday the thirteenth, it will be an anxiety-filled day for the superstitious and gullible. Friggatriskaidekaphobes—those afflicted souls who possess an overwhelming fear of Friday the thirteenth— will surely step out the door in trepidation, wondering what the "dark" day will have in store.

Astrology, belief in alien abductions, and faith in “alternative” medicine are all evidence that superstition is still a powerful force in America. You need only look at the million-dollar-a-year economic impact that plane and train reservation cancellations, absenteeism, and reduced commerce has on the American economy to see that the influence of superstition is far from harmless. Indeed, merely the personal anxiety and inconvenience of these ancient superstitions can ruin this day for millions of Americans.

This Friday the thirteenth, Margaret Downey (President of the Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia) wants you to limbo under a ladder, step on a crack, trash your zodiac sign, dance inside with an open umbrella, and break a mirror. Dressed as The Friggatriskaidekaphobia Treatment Nurse, she and the Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia will provide more anti-superstition entertainment on Friday, October 13, 2006 by inviting attendees to
poke fun at various superstitious beliefs through games, costumed hosts, exhibits of silly superstitions, and free educational literature. Anti-superstition music will make your party experience even more enjoyable. BYOB!

The special guest for the event is Michael Shermer, Founding Publisher of Skeptic magazine and Director of the Skeptic Society. He will be signing his new book Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design. For more information on this free and open-to-the-public extravaganza, visit the following websites and/or contact:

Margaret Downey

Websites: friggatriskaidekaphobia.com
fsgp.org

This event is a blast. The focus is on friends and fun. BYOB! Costumes will be available, or wear your own. Contact me if you'd like to volunteer for the party committee.

SEPTA guide to getting there: http://www.septa.org/maps/click_map.html

But wait, there's more!
Prior to the party, Michael Shermer is speaking (same location) at 7pm.

Quote:
Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia
P.O. Box 242, Pocopson, PA 19366-0242 Phone: (610) 793-2737 Fax: (610) 793-2569
Press Release ~ For Immediate Publication
Famous Religious Skeptic in Philadelphia on East Coast Book Tour

Dr. Michael Shermer

Lecture, Discussion and Book Signing on Friday, October 13, 2006

Philadelphia Ethical Society Building
1906 South Rittenhouse Square
Philadelphia, PA 19103

The Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia (FSGP) and the Philadelphia Association of Critical Thinking (PhACT) are hosting a lecture, discussion and book signing event for Dr. Michael Shermer, Founding Publisher of Skeptic magazine and Director of the Skeptic Society. He will be discussing his new book, Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design, on Friday, October 13, 2006. The free and open-to-the-public lecture and discussion takes place at 7:00 PM in the Philadelphia Ethical Society Building (1906 South Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103) preceding FSGP’s Friday the Thirteenth Anti-Superstition Party.

In Why Darwin Matters, historian of science and best-selling author Dr. Shermer states the facts, that evolution happened and the theory of describing it is one of the most well-founded in all of science. Why then, do half of all Americans reject it? Dr. Shermer examines what evolution really is, how we know it happened, and how to test it.

Dr. Shermer was once an evangelical Christian and a creationist. He is now one of the best-known public intellectuals defending evolutionary theory. In Why Darwin Matters readers are provided with an insiders’ guide to the evolution-creation debate. Dr. Shermer shows why creationism and Intelligent Design are not only bad science, but they are also bad theology. Science, Dr. Shermer contends should be embraced by people of all beliefs.

Shermer will also be the special guest at the FSGP Anti-Superstition Party and will continue signing his books throughout the evening.

The Anti-Superstition Party, which is also free and open to the public, starts at 8:00 PM. Lecture audience members are invited to attend.

FSGP wants you to limbo under a ladder, step on a crack, trash your zodiac sign, dance inside with an open umbrella, and break a mirror. Anti-superstition music will make your party experience even more exciting and entertaining. The FSGP Anti-Superstition Party takes place on the second floor of the Ethical Society Building.

For more information on this free and open-to-the-public lecture-discussion and party, contact event organizers:

Margaret Downey
FSGP Event Coordinator

Websites: friggatriskaidekaphobia.com
fsgp.org
Eric Krieg
PhACT Event Coordinator

Websites: phact.org

For more info: The FSGP website has some details:
http://fsgp.org/asparty.html

Yes, that's my pic from 2004, the biggest brunette devil on the page. Eye-wink

People from FSGP will be joined by people from the New Jersey Humanist Network and the Internet Infidels Discussion Board, as well as the Atheists Meetup.

I have more info, I'll post separately.

EverLastingGodS...
User is offlineOffline
Hotel info

Here's the hotel info I posted elsewhere.

Quote:
Your best bet is to search Expedia.com or Hotels.com.

I tried Hotels.com, but the search results are unique to my search, so I can't provide a link.

I narrowed the search by "Landmark" then "Rittenhouse." I'll give you my Hotels.com results and you can google the details.

FSGP's Margaret Downey recommended The Latham, 135 S 17th St. $139

The Club Quarters, 1628 Chestnut St, is two blocks away. $129

Comfort Inn Penns Landing, 100 N Christopher Columbus Blvd, is $109 but you'd have to walk a few blocks, or take a cab.

If you stay near the airport, the cheapest place is Microtel Inn, 8840 Tinicum Blvd, $70, but you definitely need a cab into the city, so it might not be worth it (unless you're driving).

There are plenty of other expensive hotels near Rittenhouse Square, just search based on your preferences.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Too bad it's too far for me.

Too bad it's too far for me.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
you motherFUCKER! if i had

you motherFUCKER! if i had known about this two or three weeks ago, i wouldn't have agreed to (or would have found a way out of) going on some lame ass weekend Poconos golf outing with my in laws!!! SHIT!!
i hate you, dude. for shame.
no, i'm sorry, i hate myself....why did i agree to that....why.............

Fear is the mindkiller.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Dude, bail out. RRS members

Dude, bail out. RRS members will be in the heezy.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
maaaaaaaaaannnnnn.....fuck

maaaaaaaaaannnnnn.....fuck this last minute bullshit.
i'll have a 2 hour car ride and a weekend with a hard-line hillbilly theist (the other son-in-law) , plenty of time to make him uncomfortable and maybe push some issues....this will be my consolation.
you all have fun at your little fun party, though. sorry i can't join you in your *snif*....fun....
i'll get you back for this, you buttholes. next time there's a fun party, maybe i'll just roll through on a full tank of beans, maybe some broccoli...it'll be a hot time in the old town that night, lemme tell ya...
}Smiling

Fear is the mindkiller.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
hmmph...smiley

hmmph...smiley malfunction....

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
http://viewmorepics.myspace.c

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=47825701

Razorcade, Michael Shermer, Sapient

Margaret Downey President of www.FSGP.org with Sapient