Born without a brain

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Born without a brain

Hello again!

It's good to be back. Upon chuckling and seeing more of the "born without a brain" threads from desperate dualists, I decided to compose this and inserted it into my essay on the absurdity of dualism.  

Of the most ludicrous attempts to prove the existence of the “soul”, surely, the so-called “born without a brain” is one of them.

Of course, it is possible to be born without a brain. The precursor to the neural clusters of the brain are called neural tubes, which close and develop around 25 weeks into embryonic development, and partition along the brain’s major longitudinal axis into the four major partitions (prosencephalon,  mesencephalon, rhombencephalon and the cerebrospinal fluid duct. The first three then split again into the brain’s sub-partitioning, the prosencephalon develops along the optic ducts and into the precursor of the cerebrum, which contains all of the higer-level functions and partitions (temporal lobe, occipatal lobe, prefrontal cortex and parietal lobe), and the rest develops into the sub-structures of the primary and secondary tiers of the brain, the midbrain, the fluid ducts that run between the lobes, the pons medullas and hypothalamus, the cerebellum and the brain stem.

To be born without a brain is a classed neural tube defect, which occurs around 26 weeks of human embryonic development, with the failed closure of the neural tubes. The most serious of these is called anencephaly. An anencephalactic baby has no isocortex or cerebral hemisphere, in short, they are missing 85% of their brain, the part necessary for higher-level brain function.

Very few anencephelactic babies are born, since it can be detected in utero, and nearly all mothers who learn of the baby’s condition choose to abort it, many of those who are born are stillborn. A very tiny portion remain alive. It is possible to be alive in an anencephelactic state since the brain stem is present, and hence the cardioregulatory center, so the heart will beat. Eventually, however, with no brain, the body will die very quickly (Morpheus, in the Matrix, my favorite film, was correct when he said “the body cannot live without the mind”) the record, I believe, for an anencephelatic baby is one week outside of the womb.

Unsuprisingly, an anencephaltic baby is in a permanent vegetative state, unable to feel pain, unconscious, blind, deaf and dumb. In short, there is no higher level function to speak of. No consciousness develops, no mind etc. They just...exist, although there is no “I” to speak of in an anencephelactic baby. So why do dualists use "born without a brain" to support their assertions. It turns round and bites them, because it supports materialism, indicating that the mind and the conscious process are products of the neocortex! 

Anencephaly is not to be confused with a much, much rarer condition called Acephaly, which is the abscence of the entire head of a parasitic twin fetus, which appallingly, can survive for a few hours by leeching  blood from the heart of its twin.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I said it in the other

I said it in the other thread, but again... it's nice to see you back.

This is a great addition to your essay.  I was always somewhat puzzled by theists' flippant dismissal of severe birth defects that call the soul into question.  Especially fundamentalists, who would insist that these were souls who went to heaven because god "wouldn't send someone without a choice to hell."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just to add to the info

Just to add to the info here (I must have missed the anencephalic baby threads) some researchers in Texas and Bath figured out how to delete the gene that causes brain development and produce anencephalic mammals.  They did it successfully with mice.

Charles Krauthammer--a conservative alarmist--wrote a famous essay about how this discovery will inevitably lead to the cloning of headless humans to use as organ banks.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,138483,00.html?iid=chix-sphere

Science bad. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
A headless human will

A headless human will eventually try to ride a horse.  I think we all know where headless horsemen lead to.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: A headless

Nero wrote:
A headless human will eventually try to ride a horse. I think we all know where headless horsemen lead to.

Rampant pumpkin theft? 

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you are born without a

If you are born without a brain, you are simply not alive. You could be born with partial brain... then you are partially alive. It is pefectly fine to abort a baby that is going to be born without any functions... because he will be no different than a sack of potatoes that breathes.

This was pretty informative as I didn't know people could be born with as little as 15% of their brains. My question would be, how much brain do you need to function as a human being and not be in a comma since the day you are born?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Whatever Young Earth

Whatever Young Earth Creationists/ Christian Apologists have.

ROTF

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
bump

bump

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
bump

bump

-Me

Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bump  

Bump