Atheists have an interesting imagination

Jacomus7
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheists have an interesting imagination

Atheists have a most intriguing imagination when it comes to their creativeness in coming up with new "techniques" to disprove God. In all, that is the very predetermined conclusion most make. Their mind has already being shut to the concept of an Almighty God, even if under the self delusion they are open minded.

Dawkins may not even exist, applying the same "logical" principles he applies to God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QERyh9YYEis

Archaelogical evidence affirming the Bible:

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33168

(Detailing finds made by Karolinska's (same guys who hand out the Nobel Prizes) expedition to the Red Sea.)

A video about the same finds:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2998846736678959139

Either way, even if God does not exist (contrary to archaelogical, scientific and sociological evidence) , it's not my loss, as all would be pointless. Yet if God does exist, and you reject him, woe unto the atheist.

Since I live in Sweden, I've heard most of the arguments toyed around with by atheists (notably at lectures held at Lund University). They just don't bite. And so-far, despite being surrounded by atheists everywhere I look (literally, more atheists than Christians), I've yet to be accused in RL as being a blind believer. I'm quite openheared, although very critical.

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." -Albert Camus

You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! -

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yet you have failed to

Yet you have failed to acknowledge the question posed before your beliefs are as valid and as truthful as all the other religious beliefs. To say that we need guidance from God really doesn't mean much.

What type of christian are you? because i can gurantee that you are going to hell no matter what type of christian you are,  each different sects believes their interpretation of the bible is correct and that if you don't follow their ideology and beliefs then you are going to hell. Then there are the other religions, muslims believe, no put that KNOW that unbelievers of the islam are going to hell. (Allah and the chrisitan god are not the same even though they are based from the same religious ideology, read about allah and then read about the christian god they are different) Then the jews have their beliefs. Then there are the other few hundreds of 100'000's of other religious beliefs. So yours are true because? As i can see it your just as an atheist regarding those gods, i just added one more god to my list.

As such, i ask again, what makes your religious beliefs more true than all those other religions? and then what makes your version of the bible and interpretation more correct than all the other sects of chrisitianity? Can you answer these simple questions? Or shall you evade? 

gregfl
User is offlineOffline
Jacomus7

Jacomus7 wrote:

latincanuck, officially I'm Lutheran. Practically, I'm Calvinist.

[sarcasm]

Wow. What a surprise

[/sarcasm]

Wyzaard
User is offlineOffline
Jacomus7 wrote:

Jacomus7 wrote:

Or you simply neglect any and all evidence presented, resulting in your denial being based on a predetermined belief

Assuming your 'evidence' counts as such... and that evidence could be used to satisfy absolute claims, which has also not been shown.

Quote:
Reading through the replies, this would be rather funny had it not been so tragic. Regardless, you guys are the risk takers, irrational as it may be considering the cost of your being wrong.

All beliefs concerning the afterlife have a default one out of INFINITY chance of being true... so chances are, everyone's wrong... and the only thing we are sure of is that THIS life needs to be taken seriously based upon it's OWN merits, and not according to a set of rerquirements for an afterlife that is not only highly unlikely by default, but compeltely unverifiable to boot.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin wrote: The

Rev_Devilin wrote:
The Patrician wrote:

Sorry, I disagree. Mein Kampf is clearly a political text and the religious quotations are peripheral to that message. His hatred of the Jews and his manipulation of the Catholic church is apparent although it is certain his religious exhortations are merely there for expediency.

Smiling it wouldn't be any fun if everybody agreed

May I ask you, ? what do you believe Hitler's ultimate ambition was, ie Hitler's vision of the world if his ideas came to fruition

True 'nuff, RD.

I think Hitler's vision was effectively to institute an idealised caste system based upon principles of racial purity underpinned by a political ideology devoted to that society's preservation - i.e. strength and unity.

Not really that different from the Romans, really.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ugh. If I had to judge

Ugh. If I had to judge based on the atheists I've met, then I would say that they are probably the least imaginitive group of people on the planet, next to the fundies.

Of course, I have known some wonderfully imaginitive atheists. But confrimation bias insists that I maintian the gross generalization.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin wrote: 2 the

Rev_Devilin wrote:

2 the dark ages, the Roman Catholic church, and approximately 50 million dead ( incredibly bloody )

This 50 million's hard to believe since the population of Europe didn't reach 50 million until 1200 AD, but OK, let's say it's true, Then...

rev_devilin wrote:
3 the inquisitions in the name of Christ, (lots of torture)

Without blinking an eye, you accept the number killed during the Inquisitions to be 70 million.  European population didn't reach 80 million until 1300, and was knocked back under 60 million by the Black Death.

If we allow for the Inquisition to have slaughtered people at the rate of nearly 200,000 a year, factor in the much higher child mortality and overall death rates and shortened life spans, the people musta been doing it like bunnies, because the population keeps climbing.  By 1500, there are again 80 million Europeans, by 1600, 100 million.

Bear in mind that while total population estimates here are for all of Europe, the theoretical 70 million killed by the Inquisitions would have been localized in the southwesternmost portions of Europe (ie, southern France, Italy, Spain, and parts of the Holy Roman Empire.

Incredible, I must say.  Unfortunately, it just doesn't add up, though.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    First and foremost

First and foremost everyone, get the facts about the inquisitions first. What was the purpose of the inquisitions? To get rid of heretics and mass heresy, as well as to save that persons soul. Execution was the last thing the church wanted, they rather save a person than condemn them to hell as death would be an admittance of defeat.

Of the four major inquisitions, the death toll isn't in the millions, or even 100,000's of thousands, at least not from the inquisition themselves (however the resulting wars from some of these inquisition, the death toll rises) The deadliest is the spanish inquisition, and even then those burned at the stake is between 3000 - 6000 people (this being roughly 2 percent of all those killed that were found guilty of heresy by the church as well for accounting for gaps in documentation and including the fact that we may never truely know the full amount) This one being the worst of them all for their intense use of torture and death rate. Of 150,000 processed between 1560-1700 I can't see millions dying because of it, even if you include all the inquisitions. The last being the roman inquisition and even then that death toll is relatively low on the scale, as it dealt more with the rise of protestants and censorship then actually going for the kill.

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:

totus_tuus wrote:

2 the dark ages, the Roman Catholic church, and approximately 50 million dead ( incredibly bloody )

This 50 million's hard to believe since the population of Europe didn't reach 50 million until 1200 AD, but OK, let's say it's true, Then...

Considering the dark ages lasted for approximately 500 years, 50 million divided by 500 = one hundred thousand, I figured it was a reasonable estimate, if one considers all that encompassed the ruthless Roman Catholic Church, the religious wars, heresy , witch burnings, executions for minor crimes, one might consider 50 million in 500 years, a conservative estimate

totus_tuus wrote:

3 the inquisitions in the name of Christ, (lots of torture)

Without blinking an eye, you accept the number killed during the Inquisitions to be 70 million. European population didn't reach 80 million until 1300, and was knocked back under 60 million by the Black Death.

If we allow for the Inquisition to have slaughtered people at the rate of nearly 200,000 a year, factor in the much higher child mortality and overall death rates and shortened life spans, the people musta been doing it like bunnies, because the population keeps climbing. By 1500, there are again 80 million Europeans, by 1600, 100 million.

Bear in mind that while total population estimates here are for all of Europe, the theoretical 70 million killed by the Inquisitions would have been localized in the southwesternmost portions of Europe (ie, southern France, Italy, Spain, and parts of the Holy Roman Empire.

Incredible, I must say. Unfortunately, it just doesn't add up, though.

Jacomus7 wrote:

Rev_Devilin, just thought I might add, it's estimated the Inquisition had around 70million people killed.

And all in the name of Christ ? would you have haply joined in being a true believer

You are correct, I did not challenge Jacomus7, 70 million estimate, because I don't know, without a time frame or an indication of what was considered part of the inquisitions it would be a difficult number to dispute

One might consider the beginnings of the inquisitions with Emperor Maximus, in 385, whom had Priscillian of Spain executed for heresy, If so then the inquisitions would encompass a significant time frame, up to October, 1992 Galileo pardoned by Pope John Paul II, with entire villages towns cities being put to death religious wars, groups like, The jews, The Moslems, The Cathars, The Waldensians, The Knights Templar, The Fraticelli, The Dominicans, The Franciscans, The Protestants, we're talking about significant numbers, definitely in the millions, probably in the tens of millions, possibly in the hundreds of millions, in such a time frame

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician

The Patrician wrote:

Saying Hitler was a Christian - which he was - is as valid as saying Stalin was an atheist - which he was.

In both cases it has absolutely nothing to do with their political ideology which was the real driving force behind their actions.

If I could, I'd program this board so that every post that uses any permuation of the words "hitler/stalin atheist/christian" disapeared, and instead was replaced by your post here.

Would save us all time.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: If I

todangst wrote:

If I could, I'd program this board so that every post that uses any permuation of the words "hitler/stalin atheist/christian" disapeared, and instead was replaced by your post here.

Would save us all time.

Hear, hear, todangst!

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gentleman I am saddened,

Gentleman I am saddened,

Hitler was a Christian, did this have anything to do with his political ideology, yes

Stalin ( Stalin this wasn't his real name it's a nic name, meaning man of steel ) was an atheist did this have anything to do with his political ideology, yes

Without knowing / exploring history, we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past

Understanding the ideology of these men of history, and ideology itself and how this affects a community, I believe is important, and it saddens me to see this dismissed in a offhand way

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: The

todangst wrote:
The Patrician wrote:

Saying Hitler was a Christian - which he was - is as valid as saying Stalin was an atheist - which he was.

In both cases it has absolutely nothing to do with their political ideology which was the real driving force behind their actions.

Would save us all time.

Please do! 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin

Rev_Devilin wrote:

Gentleman I am saddened,

Hitler was a Christian, did this have anything to do with his political ideology, yes

Stalin ( Stalin this wasn't his real name it's a nic name, meaning man of steel ) was an atheist did this have anything to do with his political ideology, yes

Without knowing / exploring history, we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past

Understanding the ideology of these men of history, and ideology itself and how this affects a community, I believe is important, and it saddens me to see this dismissed in a offhand way

But I do know my history as well as my politics and sociology.  Honestly, trust me on this - religion had little if anything to do with Mrs Shicklgruber's favourite grandson's or Uncle Joe's driving motivation.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Genesis c22v12
Genesis c22v12's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:

pariahjane wrote:

You're suggesting that based on your idea of sin you somehow have a right to authority over me. Correct me if I am mistaken in this.

Humm...let's see...

He believes in a Cosmic Dictator that punishes people who use their penises and vaginas for other purposes other than those established by His Majesty in his Genitalias Cosmic Manual.

If he kept this silly belief to himself, that would be fine.

But he also happens to believe his God even punishes those who are obedient, like himself, if they accept to live side by side with rebels, in an unacceptably tolerant and libertarian way. In this view, tolerance with sin is sinful itself.

So, he will try all he can to opress infidels BY LAW, and make their lives miserable, in the hope that this will aplacate God's fury for our misuse of genitalia and holes.

In his ideology, stripping you of your individual rights is perfectly moral, for allowing you to do what you want (sin) with your body would harm all society. There is no such a thing as "idividual rights" in sexual matters, for example. And you could stretch this idea to almost all fields of behavior.

And all of this makes perfect sense, if you believe in the intolerant biblical God. That's why belief in him is so dangerous to a free society.

Disrespectful of Religion

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: I

The Patrician wrote:

I think Hitler's vision was effectively to institute an idealised caste system based upon principles of racial purity underpinned by a political ideology devoted to that society's preservation - i.e. strength and unity.

racial purity Smiling ... races made distinct by god, Shicklgruber's favourite grandson's, cough

Alexander von Humboldt

Joseph Arthur Comte de Gobineau

cough cough

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh come on!  Mein Kampf is

Oh come on!  Mein Kampf is full of Hitler's manipulation of Christian articles of faith to support his own ideology.  His statement that God created the Aryan race as the purest reflection of his image, thus giving them dominion over all others, is merely an example of this manipulation in the same way as he uses the fact that the President of State can undo God's work by the stroke of a pen to grant Zulus the right to be German.

His ideology isn't a religious one, its a political one which uses religion as a tool to support his message. 

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: Oh

The Patrician wrote:

Oh come on! Mein Kampf is full of Hitler's manipulation of Christian articles of faith to support his own ideology. His statement that God created the Aryan race as the purest reflection of his image, thus giving them dominion over all others, is merely an example of this manipulation in the same way as he uses the fact that the President of State can undo God's work by the stroke of a pen to grant Zulus the right to be German.

His ideology isn't a religious one, its a political one which uses religion as a tool to support his message.

This is one opinion Patrician Smiling

It could also be argued that his devout belief, underpinned his political ideology, it is not unusual for such people to believe they are inspired by God himself

sexysadie
sexysadie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hitler had to get rid of the

Hitler had to get rid of the Jews because they thought that THEY were the chosen people and superior. How can the Aryans be superior when the Jews are around claiming to be the chosen people? This is the most stupidest theist belief is that "we are the chosen ones" Or "we are saved" so we can kill you. It is infantile compensating for the insecurity "What if I'm wrong?" Suppress that "what if I'm wrong" by condemming everyone who disagrrees with you.