doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dogmatism, Progressivism, and Relativism

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my experience, most

In my experience, most atheists are progressivists (some are relativists).  Most theists are dogmatists.

This is why I always ask the question, "If I provide you with evidence that refutes your position, would you change your mind?"

This is progressivism.  This is as much a question to get people to think as it is a question to see where the person stands (so that you know how much work you have ahead of you.)

Page is from CA Missimer's "Good Arguments".  BTW, she is female.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is no such thing as

There is no such thing as "ultimate truth" in the holistic sense. We can get quite close though. I am a progressivist depending on how one defines truth. If one defines truth as being based on observation and testing (scientific truth) then obviously progressivism is the way to go.

Define truth

More to the point define "ultimate truth" 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suppose everyone pertains

I suppose everyone pertains to all of those "beliefs" depending on the context of "truth".

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.