Slavery Is Just

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Slavery Is Just

Hey Jesus People:
Neither Jesus nor any of the "saints" condemned slavery. 
What authority, then, gave xian abolitionists back in the day the right to declare it unjust?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You can use the Buybull to

You can use the Buybull to justify almost anything - more than likely they'd have used something like the golden rule. Anyway, like today, the South was MUCH more Christarded than the North and the pro-slavery people could easily find things in that asshat book supproting slavery.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Divine progressive

Divine progressive revelation? i.e. the "ideal" is revealed to each time in accordance with what that time is able to accept or apply.

Judiasm has a analogous understanding of "the Law" with regards to how the apply it.  "The Law" may have been created at Sinai but after that, the "proper understanding" of it is what the majority says it is.

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: Divine

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Divine progressive revelation? i.e. the "ideal" is revealed to each time in accordance with what that time is able to accept or apply.

Judiasm has a analogous understanding of "the Law" with regards to how the apply it.  "The Law" may have been created at Sinai but after that, the "proper understanding" of it is what the majority says it is.

Riiight. The people at the time HAD to have slaves. There was just NO other way.  Divine progressive revelation. That is just too funny. 
I think  "it is what the majority says it is" is more on target. 
You just admitted you don't need an imaginary friend to dictate law. Congrats!

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION!

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Um.. dassercha.. you have

Um.. dassercha.. you have no idea what I believe. So, any assertion that I "just admitted" something is speaking far beyond your proper place, IMO.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Now.. for a more

Now.. for a more substantive response:

Yes. "Progressive revelation," at least, the argument that I have heard been made which I deem "progressive revelation," states just that.  

Is it possible that the U.S. South, in time, would have realized slavery as an inhumane establishment? Perhaps.  England certainly did.  Instead, however, the U.S. North forced them too.

qbg
User is offlineOffline
1) Matthew 6:24 "No man can

1) Matthew 6:24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."
2) God is most worthy of being one's master
3) Slaves should be Christians
4) Being a slave to an man hurts their ability to be Christian, and therefore is wrong.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: Now..

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Now.. for a more substantive response:

Yes. "Progressive revelation," at least, the argument that I have heard been made which I deem "progressive revelation," states just that.  

Is it possible that the U.S. South, in time, would have realized slavery as an inhumane establishment? Perhaps.  England certainly did.  Instead, however, the U.S. North forced them too.

Wow! I just find it fantastic that Yahweh et al. found enslaving others to be no problem, but then, later on, decided  that it should be given a rest. Just wow...

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
dassercha wrote: Hey Jesus

dassercha wrote:
Hey Jesus People:
What authority, then, gave xian abolitionists back in the day the right to declare it unjust?

How does one determine whether a law is just or unjust? A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. To put it in terms of St. Thomas Aquinas: An unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal law and natural law. Any law that uplifts the human personality is just. Any law that degrades human personality is unjust. All segregation statutes are unjust because segregation distorts the soul and damages the personality. It gives the segregator a false sense of superiority and the segregated a false sense of inferiority.

-Martin Luther King Jr.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Wow! I just find it

Quote:
Wow! I just find it fantastic that Yahweh et al. found enslaving others to be no problem, but then, later on, decided  that it should be given a rest. Just wow...

I suppose I could try and be a little more sarcastic and sophomoric; but instead, I won't, and much rather prefer reverting to my passive aggressive tendencies in any case.

To clarify, once again, the idea of "progressive revelation" does not mean that, in this case, Yahweh found "no problem" with a particular practice in the past.  Instead, the argument goes, is that IF he had said "don't have slaves" (I'm not even go into the distinctions between slavery in its contemporary form and that of 2000 years ago) that the his "chosen people" would have said, "wait, what?! forget you."  E.g. what the south did.

This is not to say, as some people posting before me has pointed out, that there aren't some underlying principles in the bible that can be used to underwrite the inconsistency between christian principles (as interpreted by them using these verses) and slavery.

Even on a strict, interpretation, however, the Old Testement rules on slavery were incredibly progressive in terms of slavery "FOR THAT TIME"-- for instance, the "year of jubilee," which required all slaves to be set free--or, merely its tort law which actually granted rights to slaves for injury conferred upon them from their masters.

"et al." Psh. 

[Clears throat] "It might be hubris of me to point out that the illegitimate assertion, id., failed in almost every respects, cf. my own comment.  That is not to say that you, et al., did not have... etc."

Psh. Why not just say "Yahweh and others" as opposed to "Yahweh et al."--which requires me to look up on the internet what it means.  I have to deal with this abbreviation stuff to much already in citations to deal with it hear.. Sticking out tongue Heh.  I just got out of a class, so I'm a bit edgy.  Apologies all around..

WhiteManRunning
WhiteManRunning's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: To clarify, once

Quote:
To clarify, once again, the idea of "progressive revelation" does not mean that, in this case, Yahweh found "no problem" with a particular practice in the past. Instead, the argument goes, is that IF he had said "don't have slaves" (I'm not even go into the distinctions between slavery in its contemporary form and that of 2000 years ago) that the his "chosen people" would have said, "wait, what?! forget you." E.g. what the south did.

So this almighty, all powerful god decides to write a book that will tell us how to live our lives, and says that if we dont follow this book we will go to hell. And yet, he does not want to tell us to not have slaves because he's afraid we wont follow his book. He performs miracles to prove he exists, and destroys cities to show that we should fear him, but can't tell us not to have slaves. That makes absolutely no sense.

Now, for dassercha's question. The answer is simple. You can interpret the bible to mean just about anything you want. Either cherry pick your way through it until you find something that supports your position, and ignore the rest, or just take the really vauge parts and make up an 'explanation' that supports your position. People have been doing that since the bible was created.

"I may be going to hell in a rocketship, but at least I get to ride in a rocketship. You have to climb those damn stairs. " - Katie Volker

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: So this almighty,

Quote:
So this almighty, all powerful god decides to write a book that will tell us how to live our lives, and says that if we dont follow this book we will go to hell. And yet, he does not want to tell us to not have slaves because he's afraid we wont follow his book. He performs miracles to prove he exists, and destroys cities to show that we should fear him, but can't tell us not to have slaves.

Alright.. I guess I'll have to continue to play devil's advocate here, approaching the problem from a position I don't necessarily take. 

Simple answer, yes. The bible is full of stories where these "miraculous" actions don't do anything.  Even the people that saw the "miracles" still fall back on their "evil" ways.  Consider the story of the exodus form Egypt.  Allegedly, God parted the red sea and yet still the Hebrews complained and said "lets go back" because they thought God would let them die.

Now, apart from the stories in the bible--an analogy now to life.  I can punch my little brother in face and make him submit to my demands; but, soon I will be too old for that, and he'll no longer care to listen to me.  Where am I then? If I had anything of use to teach him, he certainly won't hold onto it if the only reason he followed my "wisdom" was because I punched him in the face.  

At the same time, if I tried to reason with my little brother, then there are certain things he'll continue to do because he doesn't understand my reasoning.  For instance: "Don't stick that fork in the electrical outlet" R: "Why?" A: "Because you'll get burned." R: "What's burned?"

Instead.. I'll just negatively condition him, i.e. spank him perhaps coupled with some "warning', until such time that he's ready to understand the reasoning.

It's a balance, in that relationship.  Since the biblical God is already filled with self-projected characteristics, I see no reason why the tradition shouldn't continue when "interpreting" the relationship God had with man throughout the Bible.

Quote:
The answer is simple. You can interpret the bible to mean just about anything you want.

True. Perhaps.

Quote:
Either cherry pick your way through it until you find something that supports your position, and ignore the rest, or just take the really vauge parts and make up an 'explanation' that supports your position. People have been doing that since the bible was created.

True.  As is true with most bits of literature or, in the alternative, historical record and statistics.

Yet, most wouldn't disagree that the writer of moby dick didn't have some actual reason for writing the book--some "deeper understanding" to be drawn from it.  Whether or not anyone has actually figured it out.. is another matter.  People cherry pick all the time..

That's why I don't like writing things down... oops. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
WhiteManRunning

WhiteManRunning wrote:

So this almighty, all powerful god decides to write a book that will tell us how to live our lives, and says that if we dont follow this book we will go to hell.

This is so fucking lame an argument that it's barely worth a response. Did god write the bible or did people write the bible? DUH! People wrote what they thought god was telling them. God didn't reach down with a quill pen and enscribe it. So do you think that maybe it's possible that people filtered what they wrote through the lens of their understanding?

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
WhiteManRunning wrote:

So this almighty, all powerful god decides to write a book that will tell us how to live our lives, and says that if we dont follow this book we will go to hell.

This is so fucking lame an argument that it's barely worth a response. Did god write the bible or did people write the bible? DUH! People wrote what they thought god was telling them. God didn't reach down with a quill pen and enscribe it. So do you think that maybe it's possible that people filtered what they wrote through the lens of their understanding?

I think a much more fitting explanation is that it was written by people... and that's all. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eight Foot Manchild

Eight Foot Manchild wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
WhiteManRunning wrote:

I think a much more fitting explanation is that it was written by people... and that's all.

I tried to leave the theistic part in as that was part of the opening salvo. I get a little nuts with "God must be a fucking ass hole because of the shitty bible he wrote". Well if you don't believe that god exists then the entire statement is stupid. Something that doesn't exist can't be a fucking asshole. The assholes are the writers. Even if you argue about the consistency of the bible from a position that assumes the existence of god,  it doesn't remove human error from the equation. So even saying god is an asshat because the bible is fucked up is an invalid deduction. The bible is fucked up because people were involved in writing it. It says more about the people than the true nature of any divinity.

WhiteManRunning
User is offlineOffline
WhiteManRunning wrote:

WhiteManRunning wrote:

Quote:

First off, im not trying to argue that god is an asshat because of the things he did in the bible. Im trying to understand why an all-knowing all-powerful god will say: "This slavery thing is really bad, but I guess Ill let them get away with it for a while." RhadTheGizmo did a good job of explaining that. I dont buy it, but it makes sense.Second, I know that god didnt write the bible, people did. Change that line to "decided to get his people to write a book" and now it sounds better and doesnt change my argument at all. Here's what I dont understand. You know the bible was written by people and that it has lots of errors(or whatever else you want to call them) in it, and yet your willing to base your entire life off of your interpretation of this inaccurate book. Many people have done that in the past, and so far they've done a pretty shitty job. Why not just ignore the bible and live your life by your own moral code, instead of relying on a book that has badly mislead a lot of people in the past?

"I may be going to hell in a rocketship, but at least I get to ride in a rocketship. You have to climb those damn stairs. " - Katie Volker

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
dassercha wrote:

dassercha wrote:
Hey Jesus People:
No, you're right about that, there is no statement attributed to Jesus in the book that slavery is unjust, however, in the NT stories Jesus does opine on all the aspects of slavery such as doing service without expectation of reward and unlikeable people pushing others around. His statement on those things is pretty clear, it is the one in thankless servitude who god is more impressed by. Those who insist on having it easy for themselves through the sweat of others or who push others around are, inasmuch, not condemned for their behaviour, but neither are they particularly pleasing to Jesus' god for it. quote= dassercha

I guess that is nothing more than an equivocation of 'just' and 'holy'. The christian God is proclaimed to be both of these things which leads a cursory examiner to equivocate what is not deemed to be holy behaviour with deeming unjust behaviour. In the NT things which we deem unjust behaviour are given to be unholy, however the same is not given to be unjust by the terms of Jesus' god, it is unjust in human terms only, the authority to declare slavery unjust comes from human idealism. The authority claimed by the God of Jesus is to declare his pleasure at holy behaviour.

EDIT:have tried several times to fix quotes but the box seems to be misreading the code and It can't be fixed so I've used bold.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
WhiteManRunning

WhiteManRunning wrote:
WhiteManRunning wrote:

Quote:

First off, im not trying to argue that god is an asshat because of the things he did in the bible. Im trying to understand why an all-knowing all-powerful god will say: "This slavery thing is really bad, but I guess Ill let them get away with it for a while." RhadTheGizmo did a good job of explaining that. I dont buy it, but it makes sense.Second, I know that god didnt write the bible, people did. Change that line to "decided to get his people to write a book" and now it sounds better and doesnt change my argument at all. Here's what I dont understand. You know the bible was written by people and that it has lots of errors(or whatever else you want to call them) in it, and yet your willing to base your entire life off of your interpretation of this inaccurate book.
What is this? Fucking theist=fundie day? How do you come to the conclusion that I live by the bible?

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: What is this?

Quote:
What is this? Fucking theist=fundie day? How do you come to the conclusion that I live by the bible?

Nono.  IT was yesterday too.. I had to respond to this wondrous quote that seemed to have come out of nowhere.

Quote:
You just admitted you don't need an imaginary friend to dictate law. Congrats!

WhiteManRunning
User is offlineOffline
Well, Ive never actually

Well, Ive never actually met you, so I cant come to the conclusion that you live your life by the bible, but in general theists say that the bible is the word of god(or at least close to it), and they follow it. They may not base their every action of every day on it, but when they are deciding who to vote for, if abortion is wrong, should they cheat on a test, etc... they tend to base those decisions on their interpretation of what the bible says. Thats what I dont understand.

Maybe im completely off base here. The only time I ever get into religious 'discussions' is on online forums, mainly because my friends just dont like arguing about it. But from reading other peoples posts, and watching youtube videos, this is the impression I am left with.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
WhiteManRunning

WhiteManRunning wrote:

Well, Ive never actually met you, so I cant come to the conclusion that you live your life by the bible, but in general theists say that the bible is the word of god(or at least close to it), and they follow it. They may not base their every action of every day on it, but when they are deciding who to vote for, if abortion is wrong, should they cheat on a test, etc... they tend to base those decisions on their interpretation of what the bible says. Thats what I dont understand.

Maybe im completely off base here. The only time I ever get into religious 'discussions' is on online forums, mainly because my friends just dont like arguing about it. But from reading other peoples posts, and watching youtube videos, this is the impression I am left with.

You need to get out more. Look up deism and pantheism for a start. There are many other forms of theism. Christianity dominates Western culture, but even within that there are variations on the level of bible belief.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
IMHO the "theist" tag as

IMHO the "theist" tag as it's used on this forum is extremely vague and overly inclusive. It produces confusion.

If some member here is a theist, but not an orthodox Christian theist, then perhaps tags can be more specific so that exchanges can be more productive, waste less time and emotion.

If nothing else, perhaps deists, pantheists, etc could self-identify in their sigs to avoid the repeated cases of mistaken identity ? 

Just a thought...