Business Insider, and why 40 years of corporate greed lead to being unprepared for COVID-19.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Business Insider, and why 40 years of corporate greed lead to being unprepared for COVID-19.

Even before this virus, I had been saying for years that you can't keep adding to future debt by constantly giving bilionaires and giant corporations tax breaks they don't need. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/pitchfork-economics-coronavirus-not-hurting-economy-corporate-greed-is-2020-4?fbclid=IwAR0-LQdxJs95m6Qx7e3tzqVwQ3cQCI4cTFs1xaV_JRaAoqDGrst9FN1e3jw

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The only thing that

The only thing that "brought down the economy" is the government ordering businesses to close. Without shutdown orders, the economy would be more or less the same today as it was February 1. Turns out when you point the threat of violence from the government and threaten business owners with jailtime if they keep operating- they close down and the economy goes to shit SURPRISE!

As it is, most public companies are going to reopen business as usual, the shareholders will get a small haircut on their dividends or get a little more diluted and life goes on. The ones that are going bankrupt like JC Penney, Nordstrom & company are all companies that have been headed for bankruptcy for years. They'll go bankrupt, stick it to the lower tier lenders and a few landlords, and reopen with less debt. It is the individually owned companies, that got little to no bailout, that might not reopen because they simply don't have the money.  

As for bailouts, well you voted for the people who are throwing money around like it is going out of style. I've opposed such interventionism for my entire life, you keep supporting it as long as the candidate voting for it has a "D" after their name. For most publicly traded corporations, the stimulus is chump change. I mean, sure, they are going to take it- why not, but it isn't going to make or break their business. It is just free money.

The real dollars were pumped into the mortgage system, which the government has been inseparably involved in since the 70's, providing a guarantee to investors that if the mortgages default, Fannie, Freddie or Ginnie will buy the mortgage. The whole idea being that lenders are more willing to lend to a wider variety of people when they don't carry the long-term risk of default and don't have to carry the mortgage on their books. It is all about "making homes affordable" so that people can achieve the "American Dream" even if anyone putting their own money at risk would demand a double digit interest rate. The Federal Reserve now holds nearly $7 trillion in mortgages. Again, a system that was pushed for by all the people you voted for. 

But hey, if you suddenly want to become a budget hawk, and start saying the government should be pumping all this money into the system- welcome to my side.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 BULLSHIT, in 1918 the same

BULLSHIT, in 1918 the same shit happened. The locations that took the advice of medical experts had less spread, the locations that did not spread more.

But since the world has had other viruses an diseases happen. What mitigated everything since was INVESTMENT, REGULATION AND FUNDING SOCIAL SAFETY NETS.

AND THAT IS WHAT A BILLIONAIRE FUCKING AGREES WITH. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 Is a fucking bulshit

Is a fucking bulshit dodge...... 

Government in realitiy will always happen! So the issue isn't that government exists, but what society agrees government should spend money on.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Is a fucking

Brian37 wrote:

Government in realitiy will always happen! So the issue isn't that government exists, but what society agrees government should spend money on.

Yes, much like pandemics, except government kills far more people and is infinitely more destructive to the economy. Just because something happens, doesn't mean it is good.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote: The

Beyond Saving wrote:

The only thing that "brought down the economy" is the government ordering businesses to close. Without shutdown orders, the economy would be more or less the same today as it was February 1. Turns out when you point the threat of violence from the government and threaten business owners with jailtime if they keep operating- they close down and the economy goes to shit SURPRISE!

As it is, most public companies are going to reopen business as usual, the shareholders will get a small haircut on their dividends or get a little more diluted and life goes on. The ones that are going bankrupt like JC Penney, Nordstrom & company are all companies that have been headed for bankruptcy for years. They'll go bankrupt, stick it to the lower tier lenders and a few landlords, and reopen with less debt. It is the individually owned companies, that got little to no bailout, that might not reopen because they simply don't have the money.  

As for bailouts, well you voted for the people who are throwing money around like it is going out of style. I've opposed such interventionism for my entire life, you keep supporting it as long as the candidate voting for it has a "D" after their name. For most publicly traded corporations, the stimulus is chump change. I mean, sure, they are going to take it- why not, but it isn't going to make or break their business. It is just free money.

The real dollars were pumped into the mortgage system, which the government has been inseparably involved in since the 70's, providing a guarantee to investors that if the mortgages default, Fannie, Freddie or Ginnie will buy the mortgage. The whole idea being that lenders are more willing to lend to a wider variety of people when they don't carry the long-term risk of default and don't have to carry the mortgage on their books. It is all about "making homes affordable" so that people can achieve the "American Dream" even if anyone putting their own money at risk would demand a double digit interest rate. The Federal Reserve now holds nearly $7 trillion in mortgages. Again, a system that was pushed for by all the people you voted for. 

But hey, if you suddenly want to become a budget hawk, and start saying the government should be pumping all this money into the system- welcome to my side.

BULLSHIT!

If business never did anything wrong there would never be recalls or lawsuits.

If you don't save for a rainy day, you won't be prepaired for it. For 40 years the GOP has gutted social safety nets. 

You are the same type of asshole who would have condemned Ralf Nader for criticizng the auto industry back in the 1970s. Funny that, because of Nadar's bitching, things like seat belts and air bags became standard, and even selling points.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote: The

Beyond Saving wrote:

BULLSHIT!

If you don't save for a rainy day, you won't be prepaired for it. For 40 years the GOP has gutted social safety nets. 

You are the same type of asshole who would have condemned Ralf Nader for criticizng the auto industry back in the 1970s. Funny that, because of Nadar's bitching, things like seat belts and air bags became standard, and even selling points.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did any Democrat save for a

Did any Democrat save for a rainy day? No. Both parties are all about free give aways to their constituients.

The real corporate greed is bringing in millions of non-citizens as slaves for the rich and powerful. Nothing has changed since the first Civil war, the plantation owners still have a stable of non-citizen cheap labor. That is the real greed that has lead to a big overpopulation problem. This pandemic is just one of many problems caused by the overcrowding.

In a truly free society, the government wouldn't take from with the threat of deadly force and lie to you and say it is for your own good. You could give your own money to a charity if you are so concerned with pandemics.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: If business

Brian37 wrote:

What does that have to do with anything? Show me where I said "busines never does anything wrong"

Quote:

Our government has been spending like a drunken sailor for 100 years, I've thoroughly critisized politicians on both sides of the aisle for it. So in your book, GOP spending = BAD, DNC spending = GOOD? What is the difference? 

Like I said, if you finally want to come over to my side and say "maybe our government should have some fiscal restraint"- GREAT! I've been saying that for decades. If your only pick is what the money is being spent on, well that is my point. You support throwing money all over the place, you just want your team to be the ones throwing it. Stop crying like a baby when your team loses and the money is being thrown by someone else. In my world, Washington D.C. would be an interesting tourist destination, not a place of real power. You supported giving them the power, now you bitch when they don't use that power how you want them to.  

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i can understand the

i can understand the tribalism that makes republicans get behind trump, especially the religious fanatics (who willfully ignore that trump obviously doesn't have a religious bone in his body), but i don't understand how anyone who calls himself a fiscal conservative can get behind trump. this administration is hemmorhaging money, worse than any democratic administration i can think of.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Yes, much like pandemics, except government kills far more people and is infinitely more destructive to the economy. Just because something happens, doesn't mean it is good.  

Governments don't kill people asshole, bad governing does.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i can

iwbiek wrote:

i can understand the tribalism that makes republicans get behind trump, especially the religious fanatics (who willfully ignore that trump obviously doesn't have a religious bone in his body), but i don't understand how anyone who calls himself a fiscal conservative can get behind trump. this administration is hemmorhaging money, worse than any democratic administration i can think of.

The amount of money that has been blown in just the past 2-months, yeah Trump is headed to add the most debt of any President in history whether you measure gross dollars, percent of GDP or even increase over the prior President. The most fiscally conservative president we have had in the past 50-years was Bill Clinton, followed by Jimmy Carter. Obama had the crown for blowing cash until Trump took over, but W wasn't that far behind and before him it was Reagan who held the crown. Yeah, the Republicans have been pounding the "fiscally conservative" drum for 50-years, but they sure as hell haven't practiced what they preach. Aside from Obama, democratic presidents have been way more fiscally conservative unless you go back to FDR who basically invented the idea of deficit spending.  

Just like the shutdowns, point out to one of these idiots protesting the shut downs that Trump is the one who started it and they will be in complete denial and point to some tweet. Trump can tweet one thing, do the opposite and they will believe the tweet, despite rampant evidence that virtually nothing that comes from Trumps twitter account is true. It is pretty amazing. The voting public is very much like Brian, they have their team and their team is always right no matter what evidence they are presented with. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Governments

Brian37 wrote:

Name one government in all of human history that hasn't killed people. Government can only exist through the use of force. Without the threat of violence to force its will, there would be no governing- you would have anarchy. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Governments

Brian37 wrote:

Name one government in all of human history that hasn't killed people. Government can only exist through the use of force. Without the threat of violence to force its will, there would be no governing- you would have anarchy. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

HUMANS ARE TRIBAL? NO FUCKING WAY! I'm Wolf Bitzer in The Situation Room, our top story tonight "NO SHIT!"

What the fuck does this have to do with wanting a more open pluralistic government and a closed oppresive state?

Government come and go, and in human history they've gone in both directions, from more open, to closed, and from closed to more open. 

Give any society in our species history enough time, when stressed, when it comes to enough of a mass, that society will react to the lack of resources. 

And when the fuck have I ever said I want anarchy? You do understand there is a middle between Ayn Rand and Che Guervaro?

Goverment, at least in today's west should strive for coopertation and peaceful transfer of power, and most certainly should value pluralism.

But that is NOT what we are getting from the GOP or Trump today. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Government

Brian37 wrote:

Government come and go, and in human history they've gone in both directions, from more open, to closed, and from closed to more open. 

Some are better than others, all are more deadly than Covid. None are good. Don't know the name, but a comedian once said something to the effect

"America is the "best" country. That doesn't mean it is good. Consider a family where all the men beat their wives, but I beat my wife the least. That makes me the best husband in my family, that doesn't make me a good husband."

Quote:

Give any society in our species history enough time, when stressed, when it comes to enough of a mass, that society will react to the lack of resources. 

Government frequently causes a lack of resources. 

Quote:

And when the fuck have I ever said I want anarchy? You do understand there is a middle between Ayn Rand and Che Guervaro?

You don't, you are a fascist and are all for the government having absolute power, as long as the "right" people are in control of it. Both Ayn and Che were a million times more moral than you are. 

Quote:

Goverment, at least in today's west should strive for coopertation and peaceful transfer of power, and most certainly should value pluralism.

But that is NOT what we are getting from the GOP or Trump today. 

Nor is it what you were getting from the DNC and Obama yesterday. You certainly don't value cooperation or pluralism- you expect people to do what you want them to do and you oppose everything the GOP does and support everything the DNC does without even thinking about it.

Saying "I want to stay home and quarantine, therefore everyone in the country should too and if you don't you are a horrible selfish person" is the exact opposite of cooperation and pluralism. You are insisting that everyone do things your way because you know better. You are in no way allowing the others to act on views different from yours.To make things worse, instead of trying to use words to persuade people that you are right, you are using the police power of government to punish and jail those who don't do what you want. We seriously live in a country where people have been arrested for CUTTING HAIR. If that doesn't sit wrong with you at least a little bit, you hold absolutely no value for freedom. 

Saying "I think people should be free to make their own decision and go to work or stay home depending on their personal needs and preferences" IS cooperation and pluralism. 

The question isn't about the peaceful transfer of power- we've had that for several hundred years. The question is whether the power being transferred should exist at all. The power to order you not to work, should not exist and should not be a power that can be transferred to anyone- Trump, Obama, me or you.