One thing Trump will do better than Obama or Clinton: Syria

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
One thing Trump will do better than Obama or Clinton: Syria

Donald Trump signifies he will end US support for Syrian rebels despite their pleas to him for help
President-elect appears to reiterate his position that an alliance with Syrian and Russian governments to defeat Isis is his preferred way forward in the Syrian conflict 

Bethan McKernan Beirut Saturday 12 November 2016 17:24 BST

President-elect Donald Trump has reaffirmed his campaign trail position that assisting the Syrian government in fighting Isis should be the US’ main objective in Syria, despite appeals from rebels for continued help in their fight against President Bashar al-Assad.

“I’ve had an opposite view of many people regarding Syria. My attitude was you’re fighting Syria, Syria is fighting Isis, and you have to get rid of Isis,” he said in a wide-ranging interview with the Wall Street Journal on Friday.

Mr Trump has stated that while he “did not like [Mr Assad] at all”, shoring up his regime is the best way to stem the extremism that has flourished in the chaos of the civil war and threatens the US. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/us-president-elect-donald-trump-support-assad-putin-syria-remove-rebel-backing...

This is exactly the right position for the US to take. It should embarrass democrats that Trump could have any policy that is superior to democratic policy. But the fact is that Obama consistently escalated the problems in Syria, and Clinton was on pace to do the same. On foreign policy, they were no better than Bush. That Trump could end up fixing this is stunning to consider, but we're stuck with him so I have to simply hope he sticks to this promise. Deescalating tensions with Russia is also a good thing, which Clinton had no interest in. If Trump stays on track, he'll be less likely than Clinton would have been to start WW3.

This obviously doesn't excuse the problems he is on track to create domestically, but he can be fought on domestic policy. As I have heard some suggest, now is the time to donate your time and money to groups like the ACLU, so they have the resources to keep Trump from destroying the recent social gains in the US.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What a load of fucking

What a load of fucking bullshit. He is runing for the warmonger party and the same party that gave us Bush and his two failed wars. You look at the fuckwits he wants to fill his cabiinet with and mention Bolton in that list?  

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't think Trump will

I don't think Trump will do much militarily action unless there is another 9/11 type attack. Just worry about USA and cut off all immigration and visas from the Muslim world. Let Saudi Arabia and Iran deal with the mess they made. If there is any real security threat, Israel can deal with it.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: What a load

Brian37 wrote:

What a load of fucking bullshit. He is runing for the warmonger party and the same party that gave us Bush and his two failed wars. You look at the fuckwits he wants to fill his cabiinet with and mention Bolton in that list?  

The main goal of the wars was to prevent another 9/11 type attack. So they have both been sucessful on that front so far. ISIS only came to power when the anti-war left forced Obama to pull out. The military failed when the goal became nation building.

They failed bigly with cost overruns. But since when have you cared about US taxpayers?

I support drone strikes and special ops to take out enemy leaders and key installations, but not invasion and occupation.

Trump indicated his strategy is surprise attacks not large scale invasions and occupations.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: What a load

Brian37 wrote:

Yet it was your Nobel prize winning party that started the wars in Syria and Libya, all while bombing Pakistan on a daily basis. Trump's rhetoric has been the most dovish of any presidential candidate in living memory. He clearly positioned himself as an isolationist. Whether that is how he will govern, I have my doubts.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Yet it was your Nobel prize winning party that started the wars in Syria and Libya, all while bombing Pakistan on a daily basis. Trump's rhetoric has been the most dovish of any presidential candidate in living memory. He clearly positioned himself as an isolationist. Whether that is how he will govern, I have my doubts.

This. Clinton was all set to continue pissing Russia off without any good reason, and work towards extending the fighting in Syria. Trump might actually cool things down. I'd have preferred Bernie, but anyone who'd rather leave Russia alone than provoke them is better for humanity. And regime change in Syria, which is what Clinton would have pushed for, would have gone as well as it did in Iraq when isis was created in the first place. Or maybe as well as it did in Vietnam if things went badly enough. Fact is, Trump could hardly be worse than Clinton when it comes to military issues.

He'll set back efforts on climate change by years, gut Obamacare, and probably make America a worse place to live overall; but if it chills global tensions and makes countries think about things for once it might be more important in the grand scheme of things.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Climate change

Vastet wrote:

He'll set back efforts on climate change by years, gut Obamacare, and probably make America a worse place to live overall; but if it chills global tensions and makes countries think about things for once it might be more important in the grand scheme of things.

Sadly, what's needed to wake people up to the broader threat of climate change is climate change. Lots and lots of it. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Sadly, what's needed to wake people up to the broader threat of climate change is climate change. Lots and lots of it. 

Is not reducing the population through deportation and closing the borders going to reduce America's carbon footprint? Or I'm supposed to believe only white males have a carbon footprint to avoid being called a bigot?

I don't get the global warming alarmists hatred of Trump. Supposedly America is to blame for global warming, not the third world. So why not have a president that sends people back and keeps them from coming to the great carbon generator? Maybe Trump will save the planet.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Is not reducing

EXC wrote:
Is not reducing the population through deportation and closing the borders going to reduce America's carbon footprint?

Not necessarily, and it won't have any reducing effect on the total human carbon footprint either.

EXC wrote:
I don't get the global warming alarmists hatred of Trump. Supposedly America is to blame for global warming, not the third world.

It's always hilarious when people make claims that absolutely prove they don't know shit about the subject matter. No single nation is soley responsible for climate change. Every nation contributes to it. The US has the highest 1st world (just barely) per capita emissions (but not even half the emissions per capita of some other countries), and China has the highest overall emissions; but even if both the US & China suddenly vanished from the face of the planet, the Earth would continue to warm up.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:EXC wrote:Is

Vastet wrote:
EXC wrote:
Is not reducing the population through deportation and closing the borders going to reduce America's carbon footprint?
Not necessarily, and it won't have any reducing effect on the total human carbon footprint either.
EXC wrote:
I don't get the global warming alarmists hatred of Trump. Supposedly America is to blame for global warming, not the third world.
It's always hilarious when people make claims that absolutely prove they don't know shit about the subject matter. No single nation is soley responsible for climate change. Every nation contributes to it. The US has the highest 1st world (just barely) per capita emissions (but not even half the emissions per capita of some other countries), and China has the highest overall emissions; but even if both the US & China suddenly vanished from the face of the planet, the Earth would continue to warm up.

Carefull. You're violating leftist orthodoxy to claim it is not just the fault of white males.

Also cutting down global trade is going to reduce carbon. Why aren't global warming alarmists ecstatic and trying to get a Trump elected in every country?

I can feel the planted cooling already. Or is that just fall?

We have to keep people in third world poverty to cut down on carbon:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080428120658.htm

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Carefull. You're

EXC wrote:
Carefull. You're violating leftist orthodoxy to claim it is not just the fault of white males.

The fact that we've been debating various subjects for more than 8 years and you still haven't figured out that I'm not a leftist is extremely amusing.

EXC wrote:
Also cutting down global trade is going to reduce carbon.

Says who? Global warming trends began before global trade even existed.

EXC wrote:
Why aren't global warming alarmists ecstatic and trying to get a Trump elected in every country?

See above.

EXC wrote:
I can feel the planted cooling already. Or is that just fall?

So you're the earth? Because the only way you could personally and directly feel the entire planet's temperature shifting on even a seasonal basis would be if you were the planet itself.
FYI: it might be autumn in the Northern hemisphere, but it's spring in the South. While it cools off in North America, it's warming up in South America. But of course climate deniers never pay attention to the facts...

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know, you're not a

I know, you're not a leftist. You just agree with them at every turn. In order to not be a leftist, you would have to take positions that would label you a sociopath, racist, sexist, homophopic, science denier, etc... Does that ever happen?

Thanks for the astronomy lesson but I already learned that when I was 5.

I'm not a climate denier, I'll believe there is climate crisis when the consensus is that the solution is population growth control and massive geoengineering, not just taxing and government control over my life.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your caricature of leftists

Your caricature of leftists is patently ridiculous. There are as many Brian37's on the left as there is nazi's on the right, so don't pretend otherwise.

If you'd learned that astronomy lesson at 5 then you wouldn't have made the ridiculous implication that because we are approaching winter in this hemisphere, the earth must not be warming. So clearly you didn't learn that lesson, and as you didn't retract the fabrication you must still not have learned that lesson.

We don't have the technology or the knowledge necessary to create and maintain climate conditions of our choosing. A time when we could accomplish such is so far away as to be unforeseeable.

Population control wouldn't necessarily even accomplish anything, and even if it did it would be 40 odd years before any real impact could occur anyway.

Neither of your suggestions has any merit whatsoever.

Whereas making the use of pollutants more expensive will drive investment and innovation into cleaner technologies without crashing the global economy by forcing an immediate cessation of pollutants. A few more dollars in taxes per year for a cleaner environment in general, and a more sustainable one to boot, is to the interest of every species on earth.

Your ignorant vote weighs nothing against those numbers. You have no choice. Get over it.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Your caricature

Vastet wrote:
Your caricature of leftists is patently ridiculous. There are as many Brian37's on the left as there is nazi's on the right, so don't pretend otherwise.

We just had a campaign where the entire left and media just continually threw the nazi, racist, mysoginist, homophobe, etc... bombs. Trump brought out the Brian37 in all of them. Now we see with the whinning they are emotionally unstable children.

Vastet wrote:

If you'd learned that astronomy lesson at 5 then you wouldn't have made the ridiculous implication that because we are approaching winter in this hemisphere, the earth must not be warming. So clearly you didn't learn that lesson, and as you didn't retract the fabrication you must still not have learned that lesson.

I also learned sarcasm around age 5.

Vastet wrote:

We don't have the technology or the knowledge necessary to create and maintain climate conditions of our choosing.A time when we could accomplish such is so far away as to be unforeseeable.  

When then what is the point of clean energy? The global warming left is telling us we can control climate with taxes and regualtions. Only government bearacrats can save us but not engineers?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:We just had a

EXC wrote:
We just had a campaign where the entire left and media just continually threw the nazi, racist, mysoginist, homophobe, etc... bombs.

Never mind the fact that Trump literally admitted to all those things during the campaign. You aren't a leftist wacko just for using someone's own words and actions against them. If Trump hadn't admitted or demonstrated every single one of those you might have a point, but he did so you don't.

EXC wrote:
When then what is the point of clean energy? The global warming left is telling us we can control climate with taxes and regualtions. Only government bearacrats can save us but not engineers?

If engineers could "save us" they would have some time over the last 4 decades. If corporations were even willing to attempt it then they wouldn't have spent billions of dollars driving misinformation over the last 4 decades. What else is there but the bureaucracy?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Never mind the

Vastet wrote:
Never mind the fact that Trump literally admitted to all those things during the campaign. You aren't a leftist wacko just for using someone's own words and actions against them. If Trump hadn't admitted or demonstrated every single one of those you might have a point, but he did so you don't.

So if someone were to call Brian37 an idiot, then they also called all athiests idiots and are athiest-phobic?

That is literally what happened with Trump. He said bad things about some illegal migrants. The open borders crowd has set it up to make everyone a KKK nazi if they oppose open borders.

Vastet wrote:
If engineers could "save us" they would have some time over the last 4 decades. If corporations were even willing to attempt it then they wouldn't have spent billions of dollars driving misinformation over the last 4 decades. What else is there but the bureaucracy?

Engineers don't work for free. If there had been funding for the past 40 years, they could make Florida as cold as Canada in winter by now. Also, our schools don't produce many engineers, but teacher and administrators still get their pay and benefits. Now they take days off now to protest with their students.

Climate Enginnering should be a legitimate function of government like building roads, water supplies, etc.. But the only function of government these days is massive wealth transfer from producers to whinners. We need Trump to fix this.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
trump won't even serve out

trump won't even serve out his first fucking term. he's alienated the entire goddamn congress. republican lawmakers might be paying him lip-service now, but they'll never forgive him for upsetting the old guard. they'll be looking for any pretext to impeach him, and if the house decides to do it, then he'll be before the senate, at which point he won't have a snowball's chance in hell in front of mcconnell and his ilk.

that is, unless he upsets the status quo too much. then certain men in the basement of the pentagon will do to him what they did to kennedy. except now they'll be smart enough to make it look like a murder/suicide with a common prostitute in a limo parked a few yards off the vegas strip.

either way, the only good fascist is a dead fascist.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:So if someone were

EXC wrote:
So if someone were to call Brian37 an idiot, then they also called all athiests idiots and are athiest-phobic?

So what?

EXC wrote:
That is literally what happened with Trump.

Bullshit it is.

EXC wrote:
He said bad things about some illegal migrants.

No, actually he didn't discriminate between legal and illegal immigrants much. He even wants to turn legal immigrants into illegal immigrants, so you're being facetious.

EXC wrote:
The open borders crowd has set it up to make everyone a KKK nazi if they oppose open borders.

Because they are. Only uneducated xenophobic assholes support closed borders.

EXC wrote:
Engineers don't work for free.

Yeah, actually, a lot of them do. 99% of inventors are engineers, and they work for free until they invent something marketable. Even afterwards they only get a fraction of the profits as investors steal their hard work and make millions for doing nothing more than advanced shopping.

EXC wrote:
If there had been funding for the past 40 years, they could make Florida as cold as Canada in winter by now.

No, they couldn't. And if they'd had such funding, you'd just be bitching about engineers being funded by the government bureaucracy.

EXC wrote:
Also, our schools don't produce many engineers, but teacher and administrators still get their pay and benefits. Now they take days off now to protest with their students.

Blame corporations for moving most engineering out of the US. Oh but they do that because Americans are too stupid to be engineers, because religious organisations have been at war with science education for more than a century, and they are winning.

EXC wrote:
Climate Enginnering should be a legitimate function of government like building roads, water supplies, etc..

You don't consider roads and water a legitimate function of government, so don't pretend that you think climate engineering would be any different.

EXC wrote:
But the only function of government these days is massive wealth transfer from producers to whinners. We need Trump to fix this.

Trump is incapable of fixing this, and unwilling to boot. The only one who ever ran for president of the US who actually had a plan to fix it is Bernie Sanders.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can go back and read

You can go back and read Trump's speach. He was clearly refering to illegal migrants from Mexico. He even says they are not sending their best. Meaning Mexicans that don't break our laws are good people.

You've mistaken me for someone else. The government should facillitate building of infrastructure. What should not happen is people should not be force to pay for it if they receive little or no benefit. Because this model is unsustainable. If a thief comes in an steals money, the owners of that money move themselves or their money away.

I think I'm more socialist than anyone on this site. If socialism is a rational social contract. Most socialism like Bernie Sanders is wealth transfer from producers to losers like the Trump protesters. He wants to give free education. But you don't have to study something useful like climate engineering or solving the doctor shortage. No, its follow your heart because government is your Santa Clause with a magic wand. That is not socialism its' insanity. Its a special interest money grab, the special interest is lazy losers.

Invention is not work. It is just putting an idea down on paper. Few people going to dedicate a lot of hours to something unless their is a payoff. Climate engineering may happen without government help, because of billionare donors like Bill Gates and some volunteers. Government is totally bogged down with corporte welfare, government union welfare and lazy loser welfare.

Was it good for Native Americans to have massive immigration into their society? Was it good for the Roman empire that they could not defend their borders?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:You can go back

EXC wrote:
You can go back and read Trump's speach.

I've never once read or listened to a speech by a president nor contender for president. You Americans make too many speeches. The last time you did something worth a speech was 1969.

EXC wrote:
He was clearly refering to illegal migrants from Mexico. He even says they are not sending their best. Meaning Mexicans that don't break our laws are good people.

Since ~2007, the Mexican population in the US has been shrinking. They aren't sending anyone, let alone their best or worst. The whole illegal immigrant thing is ridiculous. Not only are they necessary for the US to function due to a foolish economic system, but there aren't very many of them and the majority of those that are there are more law abiding than US-born citizens.

EXC wrote:
You've mistaken me for someone else. The government should facillitate building of infrastructure. What should not happen is people should not be force to pay for it if they receive little or no benefit. Because this model is unsustainable. If a thief comes in an steals money, the owners of that money move themselves or their money away.

How do you determine who benefits from what and by how much? 100 million more government employees? The current system is the only system that makes sense. Noone in the country fails to receive any benefit from government, therefore having everyone pay into a pool that gets divided up to cover projects makes the most sense. Tailoring everyone's taxes to how much benefit they get from roads, health, police, etc would make a ridiculously complex tax system absolutely impossible to decipher, even by the IRS.

EXC wrote:
I think I'm more socialist than anyone on this site.

Lol no.

EXC wrote:
Most socialism like Bernie Sanders is wealth transfer from producers to losers like the Trump protesters.

You got that backwards. Producers get treated like shit. It's the losers who have all the money right now.

EXC wrote:
He wants to give free education.

Which any intelligent person would agree with. Even some stupid people, like Brian37, can somehow sense that a free education system would be extremely beneficial.

EXC wrote:
But you don't have to study something useful like climate engineering or solving the doctor shortage. No, its follow your heart because government is your Santa Clause with a magic wand.

Says who? Bernie never got far enough along on his campaign to bother communicating how it would be implemented to the public.

EXC wrote:
Invention is not work. It is just putting an idea down on paper.

Bullshit. You have to actually build things, test them, refine them. It takes work.

EXC wrote:
Climate engineering may happen without government help, because of billionare donors like Bill Gates and some volunteers.

No. We don't know enough about how the climate works to predict the weather a week from now. We are nowhere near capable of engineering the climate of a planet, and we won't ever be in our lifetimes.

EXC wrote:
Was it good for Native Americans to have massive immigration into their society? Was it good for the Roman empire that they could not defend their borders?

Native Americans didn't have an immigrant problem. They had a military problem. They failed to recognise it and were conquered. The Roman Empire was already well into its collapse before its borders were breached, because they overextended just like the US is now.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Noone in the

Vastet wrote:
Noone in the country fails to receive any benefit from government, therefore having everyone pay into a pool that gets divided up to cover projects makes the most sense. Tailoring everyone's taxes to how much benefit they get from roads, health, police, etc would make a ridiculously complex tax system absolutely impossible to decipher, even by the IRS.
What are you talking about? Only half the people now pay any income tax. There is no "having everyone pay". And it is way scewed toward have a small group of men paying most all of the taxes. Every business in the world charges based upon usage. The electric company uses a meter to figure how much to charge. If government is too incompetent to do this, they are too incompetent to do anything.  
Vastet wrote:
EXC wrote:I think I'm more socialist than anyone on this site.Lol no.
 Look at all the things I believe government should do to improve the quality of life for everyone. Population growth control, Immigration control, climate engineering, etc... Everyone here is libertarian, unless it means they get free stuff at someone else's expense. Mr Bernie Sanders is just the Candy Man for losers. Go to college study something nobody wants, then I stick to bill on everyone else.How is that socialism? It's pandering to special interests. No different than Republicans letting oil companies do whatever they please to the environment, then stick the rest of society with the bill. 
Vastet wrote:
Which any intelligent person would agree with. Even some stupid people, like Brian37, can somehow sense that a free education system would be extremely beneficial.
If you have to pay the bill for college, you'll study something that pays off so as not to waist your own hard earned money. You make it free then it's party time.Also, there are a lot of Brian37s types that have no business anywhere near a place of learning. But we waist money trying to teach them something useful, when they just need to be medicated or institutionalized. 
Vastet wrote:
Says who? Bernie never got far enough along on his campaign to bother communicating how it would be implemented to the public.
Oh come on! Half his crowd was stoners. They just want to party on someone else's dime. The second he would talk about a rational social contract instead of being Santa Claus, he would be history. 
Vastet wrote:
Bullshit. You have to actually build things, test them, refine them. It takes work.
 You don't know how our patent system works. Most patents are not made to protect an actual product, but an excuse to sue other companies. It is all for the lawyers now. Some engineers may work for a while on building something without pay, but the hope is always for a payoff. That hope does not exist because the climate crusaders are all political not technical. The goverment should give an incentive for cheap launch technology, to get climate engineering off the ground. 
Vastet wrote:
No. We don't know enough about how the climate works to predict the weather a week from now. We are nowhere near capable of engineering the climate of a planet, and we won't ever be in our lifetimes.
But we do know just enough that my taxes need to go up and should be forced to drive a golf cart or take a slow electric train everywhere. How Convenient! Today, they could dump massive amounts of sulfates into the stratosphere and lower the temperature immediately. I'm not say they should. I'm making the point that your claim is wrong. I would say controlling the climate with a high degree of precision is decades away. We won't know until we try.  Reducing temperature is easy technically, but hard politically. 
Vastet wrote:
Native Americans didn't have an immigrant problem. They had a military problem.
Yes. They didn't use their military to stop the flow of immigrants before it was too late. Their military was for fighting other tribes, not European immigrants. Their civilians were disarmed and unable to prevent genocide.That is why we need our military on the border.The Americas became Christianized pretty rapidly. So why can't Islamification happen rapidly before anyone realizes it is too late?  
Vastet wrote:
The Roman Empire was already well into its collapse before its borders were breached, because they overextended just like the US is now.
Yes. The government we have now is more concerned about the Mideast than the Midwest. They resettle refugees into areas where the natives can't raise a family.Therfore we now have Trump and hopefully the end of 'progressive' globalism. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:What are you

EXC wrote:
What are you talking about? Only half the people now pay any income tax. There is no "having everyone pay".

Because not everyone can pay, because individual profit matters more to those in power than the profit of society in general. Much of society shares that opinion in the foolish hope they can one day be one of the rich, as they've bought into the lie of capitalism. But it doesn't have to be that way.

EXC wrote:
And it is way scewed toward have a small group of men paying most all of the taxes.

Because they have the vast majority of the wealth. They'd pay less taxes if they paid themselves less and their employees more, and their employees would start paying taxes, or more taxes. But those with the most money are generally more interested at making more money, often by reducing salaries and cutting labour forces. They quite literally brought the tax man on themselves.
Not that the richest even pay taxes. Certainly not their fair share.

EXC wrote:
Every business in the world charges based upon usage. The electric company uses a meter to figure how much to charge. If government is too incompetent to do this, they are too incompetent to do anything.  

No business in history has ever created a system capable of charging usage for so many services simultaneously, many of which have never in history even had charges associated with them. The electric company only measures your electric usage, not the number of times you call the police or how much water you use and a thousand thousand other services. Your comparison is irretrievably faulty.

EXC wrote:
You don't know how our patent system works.

Yes I do. I can't wait for the day the US is no longer in a position to force that ridiculous and broken system on the rest of the world.

EXC wrote:
Most patents are not made to protect an actual product, but an excuse to sue other companies.

No. Obviously it is you who doesn't know how the US patent system works.

EXC wrote:
Some engineers may work for a while on building something without pay, but the hope is always for a payoff.

Doesnt mean there is one. Often there isn't, or it's a fraction of the value.

EXC wrote:
That hope does not exist because the climate crusaders are all political not technical. The goverment should give an incentive for cheap launch technology, to get climate engineering off the ground. 

The government has been doing exactly that for years. What rock have you been hiding under?

EXC wrote:
But we do know just enough that my taxes need to go up and should be forced to drive a golf cart or take a slow electric train everywhere. How Convenient!

Noone ever suggested it would be easy, cheap, or convenient. If you don't want to pay for it then quit earning money (which the government not only allows you to do but even facilitates the process) so you don't have to pay taxes.
Also, electric powered vehicles are as fast as gas powered these days.

EXC wrote:
Today, they could dump massive amounts of sulfates into the stratosphere and lower the temperature immediately.

And do who knows what in the process. Personally I'm not a fan of attempting such a massive project when the results would be unpredictable. Maybe if we could try it somewhere other than where we actually live first, and make sure we don't fuck it up. But that isn't an option.

EXC wrote:
I'm making the point that your claim is wrong. I would say controlling the climate with a high degree of precision is decades away. We won't know until we try.  Reducing temperature is easy technically, but hard politically. 

No. Your claim is wrong, and you are off by at least a century.
As it turns out, politically it has been far easier to manipulate emissions than to engineer the entire planet. Much progress has been made politically, absolutely no progress technically.

EXC wrote:
Yes. They didn't use their military to stop the flow of immigrants before it was too late. Their military was for fighting other tribes, not European immigrants. Their civilians were disarmed and unable to prevent genocide.

Their civillians were never disarmed. Even today they still have arms, provided they want them. They weren't incapable of defending themselves either, they simply made mistakes. Not resisting immigration wasn't one of them. Not resisting the explorers and military footholds was, but by the time immigration began in earnest they were in no position to be able to resist.

EXC wrote:
The Americas became Christianized pretty rapidly. So why can't Islamification happen rapidly before anyone realizes it is too late?

It was the christians who were conquering in the first place. The muslims are in no position to conquer the America's. Which is what they'd have to do in order to become the dominant religious group.

EXC wrote:
Yes. The government we have now is more concerned about the Mideast than the Midwest. They resettle refugees into areas where the natives can't raise a family.

What?

EXC wrote:
Therfore we now have Trump and hopefully the end of 'progressive' globalism. 

Lol.