User is offlineOffline
Sol capable of superflares.

Deadly stars: Our sun could also be superflare star

Date:
March 24, 2016

Source:
Aarhus University

Summary:
Every now and then large sun storms strike the Earth where they cause aurora and in rare cases power cuts. These events are, however, nothing compared to the apocalyptic destruction we would experience if the Earth is struck by a superflare. An international research team has now shown that this is a scenario we may have to consider a real possibility.

Exerpt:
Out of all the stars with superflares that Christoffer Karoff and his team analyzed, around 10% had a magnetic field with a strength similar to or weaker than the Sun's magnetic field. Therefore, even though it is not very likely, it is not impossible that the Sun could produce a superflare.

Article:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160324082831.htm

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
very likely

what is possible, will happen. Just think od mmost of the worlds electronis breaking down or damaged. I won't be able to check my bank accounts online. Not much need to anyway cuz I never have much money that matters.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well we'd have between 13

Well we'd have between 13 hours and 3 days to prepare in the event one happened, so it wouldn't translate to an immediate return to the pre-electronic age. Planes would be grounded, power systems shut down. The damage would still be extensive, but provided the atmosphere survived relatively intact it would only take a decade or so to repair all the damage. And much would survive well enough. Those who were able to adequately protect their electronic equipment could very well be up and running again in a few days or weeks.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Unplug

eveything and run like hell. Smiling

BTW, come to thi8nk of it. I wonder what affect if any it would have on pace makers. Got any insights on that. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unplugging stuff wouldn't

Unplugging stuff wouldn't necessarily help. Any conductive surface would get a charge. During the Carrington event, telegraph operators who unplugged their equipment were still able to use it because the CME interaction with Earth's magnetic field kept them powered.
I don't know really anything about pacemaker technology. I did a brief search but all the resources I saw were ridiculous and untrustworthy. I would assume that manufacturers would have at least somewhat built in defences against electromagnetic fields and pulses, but whether that would be enough is beyond me. I'm glad I don't have one anyway.
Still, it wouldn't be too difficult to protect yourself if you had one. Just sit in a Faraday cage and you'd be fine.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
In my travels

I end up in places (gas stations , weld shops, auto shops etc) with  sign warnings for floks with pace makers that a micro wave or some high energy device is in use.  That's what got me wondering. Well I'd better get busy and build a cage. I carry my cell phone in a bag hanging around my neck. While driving I have the bluue tooth on. With my luck when the big one hits it'll blow my sternum clean out my back and the blue tooth receiver will shave off the side of my head. Oh well, what the hay. I've already got plenty expeience with high energy. On our North property line we have Norway pines about 120 feet up making swell lighting attracters. There's two with bark blown off from the ground about 4 inches wide to 50 feet up. I've lost 4 computors and 1 TV  and 3 phones so far. When we hear thunder everything electronic get unplugged. On one occasion the voltage completely disintegrated the telephone line coming into the house, leaving only about a foot hanging on the end of the phone. From the juction box to the 1 foot on the phone there was nothing to find. The surge protector didn't help at all---it was blown too. The phone line runs under the road next to the trees, a perfect setup for destroying electronics.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's odd. Microwaves have

That's odd. Microwaves have Faraday cages built into them. Unless it has been damaged a microwave shouldn't be capable of affecting a pacemaker.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I searched

Vastet wrote:
That's odd. Microwaves have Faraday cages built into them. Unless it has been damaged a microwave shouldn't be capable of affecting a pacemaker.
"Microwave in use signs' and a load of stuff comes up. I didn't read any of it because haven't come across any instances that someone has been harmed by microwaves. I think it's a minor deal anyways. A high energy solar flare may make a difference.