That boy didn't go to heaven

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
That boy didn't go to heaven

I was waiting for some one else to post this story but I've been reading up on it and finally decided to say something on the subject.

Where is the boy's father and where the hell did the millions go?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/11349821/Boy-Who-Came-Back-from-Heaven-admits-he-made-up-memoir.html

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 RationalPoet..........What

RationalPoet..........What a shocker. NOT.

It all boils down to the gullibility of the viewer. If you want to believe something badly enough, you will.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I was

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I was waiting for some one else to post this story but I've been reading up on it and finally decided to say something on the subject.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/11349821/Boy-Who-Came-Back-from-Heaven-admits-he-made-up-memoir.html

I think the funniest part is after having to admit that you swindled millions of people youre still hawking the "accept Jesus believe in the Bible"

I mean for real?

I guess some people are that stupid

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I was

digitalbeachbum wrote:

What millions?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

What millions?

I remember when the media jerked off over this story and that book. I am sure no matter the amount the publisher made money. The family, I am sure they made money too. That book got lots of attention.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

What millions?

I remember when the media jerked off over this story and that book. I am sure no matter the amount the publisher made money. The family, I am sure they made money too. That book got lots of attention.

How much money do you imagine authors make? One best seller isn't making you a millionaire, it probably isn't even covering the mortgage.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

What millions?

How much money do you imagine authors make? One best seller isn't making you a millionaire, it probably isn't even covering the mortgage.

Unless your name is JK Rowling you aren't making that much as an author.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 You are so fucking funny.

You are so fucking funny. You masturbate over someone making money, and now you even question the ammount. 

You prove my point, it is a dick measuring contest with you.

Not that I would feel right conning people using a kid to make money selling a lie, but if I made enough on a book to pay my bills for a year or two, that is more than most aspiring writers. My point is the publisher alone wouldn't have printed it if they thought they were going to lose money. The family made something. 

That is the problem with some humans, they have no fucking clue when they get to a certain point that they have way more than they need.

Beyond, I realy have never felt you are bad at the core. But it is painfully obvious you live in a bubble.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, he's a stable

well, he's a stable entrepreneur and you're an unemployed ex-dishwasher, so obviously his "bubble" has its advantages.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Something that

struck me as funny was the kid said "nothing written by man is infallible, only the bible is infallible..." or words to that effect. 

It shouldn't be called religion, it should be called Cognitive Bias A, Cognitive Bias B, Cognitive Bias C, etc. 

This little tyke will get a standing ovation next time he goes to church. He'll tell them god showed him that he was wrong to lie, so he told the truth. 

And they'll suck that bullshit right up. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait, whaaaa? He didn't go

Wait, whaaaa? He didn't go to heaven?????!!!111oneone. 

This is . Could...could there be other books that are made up too? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

What millions?

They sold over a million copies of the book. Some one made some serious cash on the book. I looked on Amazon. Hard cover:$28 Paperback:$7 Audio CD:$10

Some one made money, but not this kid.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Not that I

Brian37 wrote:

Not that I would feel right conning people using a kid to make money selling a lie, but if I made enough on a book to pay my bills for a year or two, that is more than most aspiring writers. My point is the publisher alone wouldn't have printed it if they thought they were going to lose money. The family made something. 

The father made some money I bet. He seems to be out of the picture and he also seems to be the one who made the book deal.

I'm betting the kid made this statement to ruin the book because he was asking for money and the publisher said, "go ask your dad".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
iwbiek wrote:well, he's a

iwbiek wrote:
well, he's a stable entrepreneur and you're an unemployed ex-dishwasher, so obviously his "bubble" has its advantages.

Rich and poor alike all die. So how about you grow the fuck up. You aren't angry at me for my lot in life, you simply do not like me personally. Now ask me if I give a fuck. 

You got pissed just like a theist when someone didn't blindly follow you. Would you like a little whine with that cheese.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I'm

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I'm betting the kid made this statement to ruin the book because he was asking for money and the publisher said, "go ask your dad".

Hah, dad should have raised his allowance. That turned out to be a poor business decision.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Beyond

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

What millions?

They sold over a million copies of the book. Some one made some serious cash on the book. I looked on Amazon. Hard cover:$28 Paperback:$7 Audio CD:$10

Some one made money, but not this kid.

The hundreds of people involved in making, marketing and distributing it all earn wages. You have 10 to 15 million in gross revenue over 10 years. Maybe the authors netted a few hundred thousand, but I would expect closer to the 100k mark. That is 10,000 a year, not exactly retirement money. No one made a ton of money on this book. Certainly no single person got anywhere near a million.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: You are so

Brian37 wrote:

You are so fucking funny. You masturbate over someone making money, and now you even question the ammount. 

You prove my point, it is a dick measuring contest with you.

That is the problem with some humans, they have no fucking clue when they get to a certain point that they have way more than they need.

Beyond, I realy have never felt you are bad at the core. But it is painfully obvious you live in a bubble.

You have way more than you need, yet you still want the government to steal from others and give it to you.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You got pissed

Brian37 wrote:
You got pissed just like a theist when someone didn't blindly follow you. Would you like a little whine with that cheese.

i've never asked a single soul to follow me anywhere. and it's "cheese with that whine," you incapable fucktard.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson