Sound member on the show COPS gets shot.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sound member on the show COPS gets shot.

I can not help but wonder if all of these reports from the media have just been going on all of the time and I just never noticed it, or whether the BBC is on a crusade Smiling 

www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28961229

Cops crew member accidentally killed by police during robbery

A crew member on a US police reality TV show has been shot and killed after Nebraska police opened fire on a robbery suspect.

Bryce Dion, 38, was wearing a bulletproof vest but the bullet that hit him "slipped into a gap" in the arm and entered his chest, police said.

Dion was a sound operator on Cops for seven years, the show's producer said.

Police also killed the robbery suspect, Cortez Washington, who was on parole from prison.

"This is very hard for us," Morgan Langley, who hired Dion, said at a press conference on Wednesday.

Cops is a long-running US television series that follows police officers while they are on-duty. The show has featured police forces from at least 140 US cities and three other countries.

Dion and a cameraman were with two officers who responded to a call for backup at a fast-food restaurant in Omaha.

Washington fired a pellet gun, which police and witnesses thought was a real weapon, Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said.

Chief Schmaderer told reporters police fired back and Washington was struck by officers' gunfire but fled outside of the restaurant before collapsing.

Dion was struck as police continued to fire on Washington as he left the restaurant.

The Omaha World-Herald reported police fired at least 30 shots during the incident.

Chief Schmaderer said his officers were "taking this very hard".

"Bryce was their friend."

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
So he was killed by the

So he was killed by the cops? *shakes head*

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 Guns are so safe even the

Guns are so safe even the trained people make mistakes.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Guns are so

Brian37 wrote:

Guns are so safe even the trained people make mistakes.

30 shots isn't a "mistake". It is yet another example of police failing to use restraint, and in this case it killed two people. If I did that, shooting at an intruder in my house, I would be thrown in jail for murder or at least manslaughter. These cops aren't even going to face trial, and probably won't even receive any kind of punishment at work for their irresponsible actions. Hence the problem people like me have been bitching about for decades.   

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
He apparently got caught

He apparently got caught trying to retreat.

I'm a bit shocked that not one figured out it was a pellet gun.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I wanna respect the cops,

I wanna respect the cops, I really do but this kind of deadly misconduct and the subsequent slap on the wrist this officer will likely receive is trying my patience.  I'm beginning to feel myself regressing back to my more radical political views.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I wanna respect the cops, I really do but this kind of deadly misconduct and the subsequent slap on the wrist this officer will likely receive is trying my patience.  I'm beginning to feel myself regressing back to my more radical political views.

They fired 30 rounds at what? I mean seriously are they not paying attention? Not one person had enough sense to know if the weapon was real?

I believe the use of hover drones is going to be very important in the future. Just send it in or send it a robot.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
To be fair, if you point a

To be fair, if you point a pellet gun at a cop, or anyone really, and you get shot for it, I will support the police (or whoever did the shooting). Pellet guns are capable of causing severe injury or death. And even if they weren't, cops need to act very quickly when in a situation that might be dangerous. Taking a few seconds to identify the weapon could very well get you or someone else killed.

The reason this situation is bad is because the cops killed someone who wasn't armed, and was with the cops. I don't understand how that is even possible. Even less than perfect aim doesn't explain this. How do you not shoot at the dangerous guy with a weapon? I REALLY want to see the tactical map showing where everyone was, because unless the sound guy was practically between the police and the armed individual this incident should not have even been possible. If the guy was in between the police and the armed individual, why the fuck was he? What happened to keeping the cops show people behind the police until the situation is secure?

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You shoot the sound guy

You shoot the sound guy because you didn't take a second to positively identify your target and make sure there is nothing behind it. Police especially need to take care when discharging their weapons because they are often in urban areas where there might be people passing by and there are a lot of materials that can present risks of ricochet. (I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sound guy was actually killed by a ricochet instead of a direct hit. We will probably find out later.) Cops need to be trained to take one or two shots, not empty their magazines indiscriminately. If that means the perp manages to run away, so be it. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:To be fair, if

Vastet wrote:
To be fair, if you point a pellet gun at a cop, or anyone really, and you get shot for it, I will support the police (or whoever did the shooting). Pelleta weapon? I REALLY want to see the tactical map showing where everyone was, because unless the sound guy was practically between the police and the armed eople behind the police until the situation is secure?

I would agree with you. I believe that they had a few loose cannon's charging, no command setup, no idea where who was doing what.