Phelps dying?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Phelps dying?

Most of this article is typically unsupportable drivel often seen in the news these days. But one fact was hidden in the bullshit that may or may not be true, but certainly has no evidence supporting it: Fred Phelps is near death.

"Phelps is said to be very ill and on the brink of death. Nathan Phelps, Fred Phelps’ son, went on Facebook yesterday to say his father’s condition had deteriorated and he stated that his dad is on hospice care at this time."

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/fred-phelps-might-be-gay-former-church-member-hints/

Anyone want to set up a protest to be held at his funeral?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait.. he was

Wait.. he was ex-communicated from his own church?

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
"excommunicated" is a rather

"excommunicated" is a rather grand term to use for a fringe, lunatic denomination of low-church protestantism.

i believe the generally accepted term among evangelicals is "de-fellowshipped."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Anyone want to

Vastet wrote:
Anyone want to set up a protest to be held at his funeral?

I think seeing throngs of the enemy at his funeral would convince the few remaining faithful that they're the righteous ones.  It would be more humiliating to see how little the world cares about his demise.  

Maybe it would be a nice gesture for every legally married gay couple to send a slice of wedding cake.  

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hum noticing some high

Hum noticing some high levels of hypocrisy here by some. Phelps certainly deserves the condemnation he gets, but I guess it is ok to be mean to people when you do it, but not when others do it. And I am sure his religion had nothing to do with what made him such a bigot. Naw, religion is not poison.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Hum noticing

Brian37 wrote:

Hum noticing some high levels of hypocrisy here by some. Phelps certainly deserves the condemnation he gets, but I guess it is ok to be mean to people when you do it, but not when others do it. And I am sure his religion had nothing to do with what made him such a bigot. Naw, religion is not poison.

you're right. religion is not poison. and a mushroom is not a calculator.

and it definitely is ok to be mean to people in certain situations, especially when one is dealing with a person who makes a conscious choice to be an obnoxious dimwit. like you.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

you're right. religion is not poison. and a mushroom is not a calculator.
and it definitely is ok to be mean to people in certain situations, especially when one is dealing with a person who makes a conscious choice to be an obnoxious dimwit. like you.

Yes it is a posion just like a volcano exists. It can be harmless when you know how it works and avoid the danger, but you are the unfortunate well intended cover that gives religion the cover it does not deserve but not accepting it's danger, THAT is the poison you don't want to accept.

When you look at human evolution you know all religion is is a comic book reflection of our evolutionary grouping. Your refusal to see it as such is the poison that allows humans to be divided. You also stupidly think my RIGHTFULLY calling it a poison is some sort of demand to get rid of it by force.

Religion exists like a sugar pill the poison is that we don't see it as such. That allows humans to set up tribes and allows us to ignore that we are centering our grouping on bullshit, not reality. You are part of the problem and your good intent doesn't solve a damned thing. Religion only deserves protection from a human rights stanpoint, but the contructs and claims it makes and the fans of such have to be challenged at every turn otherwise that dormant volcano will explode.

Your good intent is like a parent assuming the safety cap on the bottle of bleach will never be compromised by the kid who has access to the cabinets at ground level. Unless you treat religion like a poison you will not reduce the harm it can and will do.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: You also

Brian37 wrote:
You also stupidly think my RIGHTFULLY calling it a poison is some sort of demand to get rid of it by force.

no, i don't. and you know that. but you're a liar. and not even a good one.

--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
 "Every mammal on this

"Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not.  You move to another area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed.  The only way you can survive is to spread to another area.  There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern.  Do you know what it is ?  A virus.  Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet..."  Agent Smith.

Dear Brian37, it's pathetic how a fictional character from the Matrix movie speaks with more insight and wisdom than a real world idiot like yourself.    Self righteous atheists who think like you are poison.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Hum noticing

Brian37 wrote:

Says the biggest hypocrite on the site.

Hey dumb ass, Phelps created his religion. Which necessarily means HE is the 'poison', if there is any poison. He can't have been poisoned by his religion when he created his religion.

Of course, you're too stupid to understand something like cause and effect, but the rest of us can laugh at you.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah

A protest/demo at this guy's funeral would have been rather amusing. What a Class A dick he was. Perhaps big signs saying "Fred Phelps is Not Burning in Hell". 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

"Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not.  You move to another area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed.  The only way you can survive is to spread to another area.  There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern.  Do you know what it is ?  A virus.  Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet..."  Agent Smith.

Dear Brian37, it's pathetic how a fictional character from the Matrix movie speaks with more insight and wisdom than a real world idiot like yourself.    Self righteous atheists who think like you are poison.

Self rigtious? No, not at all. Failure to undersdand nature is poison. Hiding behind wisfhul thinking for the drug of a placebo  does not solve conflict resolution. Just like it held humans back insisting the earth was flat after being told the truth it was not flat. Religion is nothing but our species anthropomorphic reflection of our REAL evolutiionary grouping. Facing humans with this reality will help us, just like knowing the earth is a globe helps us.

I am tired of hearing in the news likes like a Jewish registry in the Ukraine. Or Muslims threating Christians or those who leave Islam. You know Saudi Arabia is now calling atheists terrorists? I am tired of our right wing trying to turn back the clock on women's rights and voting rights. Religion teaches us we are a separarate species and we are not a separate species.

As long as well intended people insist it be protected from criticism, ridicule and blasphemy, it will hide behind it's falsehoods and continue to set up needless dividision amongst humans. It cannot be driven away by force but it deserves every bit of criticism ans scrutiney in order to minimize harm to humanity.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Brian37

Vastet wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Says the biggest hypocrite on the site. Hey dumb ass, Phelps created his religion. Which necessarily means HE is the 'poison', if there is any poison. He can't have been poisoned by his religion when he created his religion. Of course, you're too stupid to understand something like cause and effect, but the rest of us can laugh at you.

And where did he get his ideas from? A BOOK, and on top of that he was reading it correctly unfortunately. Our western pluralism is not because of religion, but in spite of religion. READ the entire motif of ALL THOSE BOOKS. The centeral figure(God/s of Abrham), is set up to lead the reader to follow him, and and anyone outside that particular club is a threat to this head figure.

It makes sense that this character was written that way BACK THEN, because back then in a very real life sense you were duty bound to protect your tribe, so the motifes in antiquity would bleed into the religions of antiquity.

And even liberal theists in my state of NC voted overhwelmingly against gay marriage, they got their justification from the same god as Abrahm as Phelps did even if they were not foaming at the mouth like he did. 

If one is willing to accept that holy books are not science textbooks, and they are not, then part of our modern pshychology which is rooted litterally in evolution cannot be replaced with the placebo crutch of religion anymore than a kaliedoscope can replace a telescope.

Your evolutionary sense of empathy, which is understandable, but missguided, allows believers to cling to the past. It allows us to make the group the pataint holder on morality when science says that our morality is evolutionary. You coddle their myths and you merely give them cover to keep using a kalidieoscope and thus give them excuses to set up social pecking orders based on their crutches.

Dakwins an evolutionary biologist EXPLAINS why this delusion exists. Harris explains why it is important for modarates and liberals NOT to ignore the cover they give people like Phelps. And Hitchen's book is dead on in aptly discribing the destructive nature of religon. You want less people like Phelps? You want Jews not to be targets of oppression? You want women to have more rights? You want less homophobia in worldwide? You will not get it with well intened PC tatics.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:And where did

Brian37 wrote:
And where did he get his ideas from? A BOOK,

A book written by PEOPLE. Religion didn't write the bible, PEOPLE did.

Brian37 wrote:
It makes sense that this character was written that way BACK THEN, because back then in a very real life sense you were duty bound to protect your tribe, so the motifes in antiquity would bleed into the religions of antiquity.

LOL you're so clueless. WE STILL ARE duty-bound to protect our tribes, moron. They're just bigger now. Nothing has changed. 9/11 affected people on the West coast despite the fact that it happened on the East coast, because the US is a tribe. Every stable nation is a tribe unto itself.

Brian37 wrote:
Dakwins an evolutionary biologist EXPLAINS why this delusion exists. Harris explains why it is important for modarates and liberals NOT to ignore the cover they give people like Phelps.

They give their OPINIONS on that, and they happen to be wrong as often as not. They do NOT state scientific fact. You need to learn how to separate fact from opinion.
And noone ever gave Phelps cover. Thousands of theists condemn him and his church the same as atheists.

Brian37 wrote:
You want less people like Phelps? You want Jews not to be targets of oppression? You want women to have more rights? You want less homophobia in worldwide? You will not get it with well intened PC tatics.

You certainly won't get it making shit up. Every time theism has been subjugated it rose up stronger than before. Hitler tried to wipe the jews out, and now they have their own country and a nuclear stockpile. The only documented way to actually destroy a religion has been via religion. Not subjugation of religion, actual destruction.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder

I wonder now that he is out of the way if the remaining members are going to scatter to the winds ? 

I am not saying that Phelps himself was the sole motivator, as his daughter and other kids helped keep it going but it makes me wonder.

I remember back in the 1990s Idaho was a stronghold for Aryan Nations (also called themselves the Church of Jesus Christ Christian) and although it was a series of infighting and lawsuits against them for hate crimes that brought them down, I remember reading that only within a year after the death of their "leader" (can not remember his name) that the whole organization which was once some sort of White Supremacist stronghold, had crumbled away and was all but forgotten. 

Perhaps the same thing will happen to the obnoxious entity known as Westboro. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Every religion that fails to

Every religion that fails to spread fades away. Only time will tell here. If things go badly for people they tend to turn to religion, and not without justification. Religions tend to protect their own. Those that don't cannot spread. But are things going to go so badly that westboro actually gains a following? Noone can say. I hope not, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. There are huge changes coming. Changes so big and so fast that they'll make all those that came before look as nothing. And usually it is the most severe religions that do well when things fall apart. If society keeps it together for a generation or two then the last of the westboros will die and be forgotten. Which doesn't mean they won't be replaced by something else.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Every religion

Vastet wrote:
Every religion that fails to spread fades away. Only time will tell here. If things go badly for people they tend to turn to religion, and not without justification. Religions tend to protect their own. Those that don't cannot spread. But are things going to go so badly that westboro actually gains a following? Noone can say. I hope not, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. There are huge changes coming. Changes so big and so fast that they'll make all those that came before look as nothing. And usually it is the most severe religions that do well when things fall apart. If society keeps it together for a generation or two then the last of the westboros will die and be forgotten. Which doesn't mean they won't be replaced by something else.

I agree with economic uncertainty and many other social factors that is a fuel for the extremist religions. Take the above post about the Aryan Nations. During the early 90s I do remember a bad recession at the beginning, skyrocketing unemployment, the gay march on Washington, the Million Man march etc. In such a climate it is of little wonder that angry people, desiring an enemy, could flock to the upsurge of both right wing extremists like Aryan Nations. After all, not only did they offer people bigotry, they offered people bigotry and racism that was sponsored by god himself. 

But extremism, religious fanaticism, and whatever, will remain as always a factor and force in the world. 

I recently attended a lecture by this professor Alan Lightman that was trying to promote his new book, in which he claims that he has "proof" for the existence of a spiritual realm. What was interesting is after an hour long lecture that stated that we are pretty much just biological animals and that there is zero evidence for any sort of god, he switches tactics, shares some horseshit drama story about birds in flight, and concludes their is a spiritual universe. 

I looked around at all the people vigorously nodding their heads and it hit me, people do not want logical arguments, evidence, etc. They want to be able to "feel" special in the empty universe and religion/spirituality offers that. 

And in times of really bad insecurity, how easy it is to flock to the more fanatical of causes and how easy it is to believe in them. While Westboro may be seeing the beginning of an end and others, there is always going to be another group to take its place I agree. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno