Loud Music Killer Says Self Defense

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loud Music Killer Says Self Defense

Anyone think that the media is going to turn this into another Zimmerman style type of case ?  In fact, the article is already making comparisons :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26146675

A white Florida man who killed a black teenager during a quarrel over loud music has testified he fired in self-defence after the boy threatened him.

Michael Dunn is charged with the November 2012 murder of Jordan Davis, 17, at a petrol station car park.

Mr Dunn, 47, told jurors he thought he saw the barrel of a shotgun in the vehicle after he asked Jordan Davis and three friends to turn down their music.

Police did not find a gun in the car the teenager was in.

They said Mr Dunn lost his temper.

On the evening of 23 November 2012, Mr Dunn and his fiancee parked at the petrol station in Jacksonville, Florida, after attending his son's wedding. His fiancee went inside to buy wine and crisps.

'Menacing expressions'

Jordan Davis and three other teenage boys, all African American, had stopped at the same place after visiting a shopping mall.

On Tuesday, Mr Dunn, a software developer, testified that the music blasting from the boys' sport utility vehicle, next to his, was so loud it hurt his ears. He said he asked them cordially to turn it down, and they did.

But Jordan Davis, sitting in the rear passenger-side seat, apparently ordered his friend in the front seat to turn the music back up.

Then, Mr Dunn testified, he became verbally abusive toward Mr Dunn, called him a "cracker", a derogatory word for a white person, and then threatened his life.

Mr Dunn said the teenagers inside the vehicle wore "menacing expressions", and he asked whether Jordan Davis was talking about him.

He told the court he wanted to calm the situation but that he saw Jordan Davis reach down for something.

Then, Mr Dunn testified, he saw what looked like the barrel of a shotgun sticking out of the window.

"This is the point where he is coming to kill me, coming to beat me," he said, describing the moments before he shot at the vehicle. "He made it quite clear what his intentions were."

Mr Dunn testified he felt a "clear and present danger" and had no choice but to defend himself. He reached into his glove box, withdrew a pistol he kept there legally, then fired nine rounds at the boys' vehicle. Jordan Davis was killed. The other three were uninjured.

Mr Dunn was later arrested and charged with one count of first-degree murder and three counts of attempted murder.

The case, with its racial overtones, gun violence and a claim of self-defence, has drawn comparisons with the killing of Trayvon Martin.

The 17-year-old was shot dead in an Orlando, Florida, suburb in February 2012 by a volunteer neighbourhood watchman, George Zimmerman.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
The guy should be put in

The guy should be put in prison just like that Tampa cop who killed another person for using his phone during the movie. Fucking dumb ass. 

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Well now that I read the

Well now that I read the actual story (who gives a shit, btw) I can't keep pretending that someone was killed by deafeningly loud music.  I've only been reading the headline "loud music murder trial" up to this point.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm not interested in this

i'm not interested in this case but i will say i hate it when brits write articles about america. we don't buy "crisps" here, nor do we have "petrol stations" or "car parks."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: i'm not

iwbiek wrote:

i'm not interested in this case but i will say i hate it when brits write articles about america. we don't buy "crisps" here, nor do we have "petrol stations" or "car parks."

LOL. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno