Stump the former Pat Benatar Fan

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stump the former Pat Benatar Fan

Ok, don't hit me with "Hit Me With Your Best Shot". And the chorus of any of her songs would probably be a dead give away.

I used to be so obsessed I could quote every line and tell you what track and what album it was on and what side.

My cut off would probably be anything after "All Fired Up". Which was early 90s. But test me before that, and I might know or should know even the unknown.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Don't know my Pat Benatar

Don't know my Pat Benatar music all that well. Random useless trivia though: Pat Benatar became the first female artist to have a video played on MTV, which video was it? (Yes kids, MTV used to actually play music videos)

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
She was actually the SECOND

She was actually the SECOND video played on MTV. Care to guess what band and what song was the first before her? Care to guess what song she presented was second on MTV?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
The BunglesVideo killed the

The Buggles

Video killed the radio star... and I didn't even need to look it up!

(edit)

Didn't know it but the same video was used to start other MTV's from other countries, plus it was the last video played in the Philippines (like who cares huh?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Killed_the_Radio_Star#Music_video

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Oh and I missed your second

Oh and I missed your second question...

"You'd better run" by Pat Penatar

And here is a list of the first songs played in 24 hours on MTV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_music_videos_aired_on_MTV

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
I know this is off the

I know this is off the subject, but....

I started going down the list and I went to view the video by April Wine (awesome band from Canada) called "Just between you and me"

This led me to several other videos such as "I like to rock" and "Enough is enough".

On the video "Enough is enough" they were in the back of a semi-trailer going down the road. This video was the first video I saw of April Wine and back then I didn't care about the video as much as the music.

Now I look at the video and I'm like "WTF?" The back of a semi-trailer? What does that have to do with the fucking song?.... nothing?

Which then brought me to the memories of other videos where the video had absolutely nothing to do with the song. I also remember some interviews with bands through the years where the band members said, "oh we hate that video. we were young and just did what we were told".

So I guess my question would be, "What videos can you come up which have the least to do with the song of the artist?"

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nevermind comes to mind.

Nevermind comes to mind. Maybe I just didn't get it though, been at least 15 years since I saw it.

I've never been one to sit around watching Much Music or MTV though. Too boring. I like a musical background, but not a musical focus.

Going the other way... The greatest/most relevant video was for One, by Metallica. The song takes on its true meaning with the video.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote: I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I started going down the list and I went to view the video by April Wine (awesome band from Canada) called "Just between you and me"

I've always been a fan of April Wine.  First bought their music on vinyl, then later on cd.  BTW, their cover of King Crimson's "21'st Century Schizoid Man" is awesome.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Don't

Beyond Saving wrote:

Don't know my Pat Benatar music all that well. Random useless trivia though: Pat Benatar became the first female artist to have a video played on MTV, which video was it? (Yes kids, MTV used to actually play music videos)

You really are my J R from Dallas. Boy do I want to shoot you, but my stupid compassion gets in the way when I identify with you. MTV sucks now as compared to what it was. I HATE YOU but damn why please tell me why there is a side of you I like?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I HATE YOU but

Brian37 wrote:

I HATE YOU but damn why please tell me why there is a side of you I like?

Because you are a linguini spined, bleeding heart LIBERAL. If you were a cold hearted hate filled conservative you would pull out your Glock 18 and make me dance. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:.....

Beyond Saving wrote:

..... you would pull out your Glock 18 and make me dance. 

A true machine pistol.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Because you are a linguini spined, bleeding heart LIBERAL. If you were a cold hearted hate filled conservative you would pull out your Glock 18 and make me dance. 

Damned right I am a flaming liberal, but see I wouldn't need a gun because I'd take them all away and become a dictator like Kim Jong Un,  then I'd make you dance.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I very narrowly avoided spitting coffee all over my tv. Well played sir, well played.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Nevermind comes

Vastet wrote:
Nevermind comes to mind. Maybe I just didn't get it though, been at least 15 years since I saw it. I've never been one to sit around watching Much Music or MTV though. Too boring. I like a musical background, but not a musical focus. Going the other way... The greatest/most relevant video was for One, by Metallica. The song takes on its true meaning with the video.

Yeah, that's a good video for one which is relevant to the song. When I first heard "One" I didn't really know what it meant, then when I saw the video it all came together.

Not sure if you heard of this story, but the radio interview is well worth the listen.

http://www.radiolab.org/2011/jan/25/finding-emilie/

A story of amazing results...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I clicked listen and it

I clicked listen and it prompted a 20mb dl. I'll listen to it when it's done. Better than streaming, just have to wait a bit.

~edit update

Very powerful that. Thank you for sharing it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Vastet

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Nevermind comes to mind. Maybe I just didn't get it though, been at least 15 years since I saw it. I've never been one to sit around watching Much Music or MTV though. Too boring. I like a musical background, but not a musical focus. Going the other way... The greatest/most relevant video was for One, by Metallica. The song takes on its true meaning with the video.

Yeah, that's a good video for one which is relevant to the song. When I first heard "One" I didn't really know what it meant, then when I saw the video it all came together.

Not sure if you heard of this story, but the radio interview is well worth the listen.

Metallica got slammed for going "corporate", but that album was one of their best and "One" really depicts the psychological horrors of war. Blackened was great to, about how we are destroying the planet. And "And Justice For All"was great too about how the system is lopsided in courts.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I clicked

Vastet wrote:
I clicked listen and it prompted a 20mb dl. I'll listen to it when it's done. Better than streaming, just have to wait a bit. ~edit update Very powerful that. Thank you for sharing it.

Yeah, heard it on the radio over the weekend but missed the first ten minutes. The entire "Hellen Keller" thing was amazing on his part; he definitely saved her from being tossed in to a assisted care facility.

It sort of goes along with the "One" song because she was trapped in darkness and the doctors were writing her off.

What I'm curious about is what happened to the truck driver of the 18 wheeler who ran her over; and how the accident happened.

I saw in the NY Post an article that briefly mentioned the driver taking a right hand turn. I can only guess he didn't yield to the pedestrian (and was going too fast) when he hit her.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Metallica got slammed for going "corporate", but that album was one of their best and "One" really depicts the psychological horrors of war. Blackened was great to, about how we are destroying the planet. And "And Justice For All"was great too about how the system is lopsided in courts.

I used to listen to them but stopped after the Napster bullshit.

Like Napster was taking away anything that cassette tapes had already done for twenty years? I used to record off the radio all the time and never purchase LP's.