Gay 18 year old takes on catholic school board over bullying

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gay 18 year old takes on catholic school board over bullying

A gay student at a Catholic high school in southwestern Ontario is taking on the school board over her religion teacher’s alleged bullying.
Brooke Mulligan, an 18-year-old student at St. Thomas of Villanova school in LaSalle, Ont., alleges that the female teacher has been bullying her in part because of her sexuality. 
“She has always been a bully to everyone. She’s been that kind of person,” Mulligan told reporters this week during a protest in her community, near Windsor, Ont.
But when the teacher discussed homosexuality in class – telling students gay people can’t get married in a Catholic Church –“her tone was crossing the line,” Mulligan said.
Mulligan’s mom, Tina Dagenais, told reporters that her frustrated daughter wrote an obscenity on her religion exam, which got her in trouble.
In response to one of the exam questions, Mulligan wrote: “F*** all Catholics. I am gay and God loves me,” Dagenais said.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/gay-student-alleges-bullying-by-ont-catholic-high-school-teacher-1.1188835

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good for you Brooke.

Good for you Brooke.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did I miss something? Isn't

Did I miss something? Isn't this a private school?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Did I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

No, catholic school board is funded by the government in Ontario (it is in the provincial constitution) however the school board has to respond to the government and anti--bullying and anti-homosexual laws apply to them as well.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
digital..

Canada does not have a seperation of church and state guaruntee in the constitution,  we even have an official religion [Anglican]. What Latincanuck said is accurate plus the catholic high school can not deny non-catholic students from attending. Grades K thru 8 are for Catholics only but in  High school it's open to all students reguardless of religion.  My Hindu nephew attends a Catholic High but the catch is religion classes are a required course and of course it is Catholic doctrine. 

The nephew and his other non-catholic classmates make no secret of what they are, including some open atheists. What he had trubble with was tests. They are impossible to answer without sounding like you believe it, "Who is the head of our church?"  [pope] "describe the Holy trinity?" [big daddy, junior and the spook] etc.etc. There's no multiple choise boxes to check off, they have to write out the answers, I think the idea is if they write it enough they might start buying into it. I suggested he start each answer with the phrase "according to the text book the answer is......."  which seperates him from actualy believing it and irritates the  teacher to boot. His classmates started doing the same thing, even some of the catholics. It irritates the teacher but she can't do  anything about it. That's Canada eh?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Did I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Who gives a fuck? They took the parents money, once he is in, he should be treated with fairness and decency, otherwise don't take his parents money. And besides, what year is this anyway?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow. I'm not sure I would

wow. I'm not sure I would put my kid in a school like that unless it had some kind of kick ass program for [what ever].

If I had to take the tests I would just lie, tell them what they wanted to hear.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well the catholic high

Well the catholic high school tend to have better programs overall, supposedly, however I am a graduate of the public system and I am doing pretty good, with that said I have 2 kids in the catholic system and one in public and my youngest is doing better than the other 2 in the catholic system (however they are in elementary K to 8 )

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Well the

latincanuck wrote:

Well the catholic high school tend to have better programs overall, supposedly, however I am a graduate of the public system and I am doing pretty good, with that said I have 2 kids in the catholic system and one in public and my youngest is doing better than the other 2 in the catholic system (however they are in elementary K to 8 )

I spent part of my elementary time in catholic school (deliberate lower case spelling there) and when my parents transferred me over to public school, due to the fact that they could no longer afford it, I found the academic programs to be much the same. The only difference being, no mass attendance and no religious classes. However, my high school was in a more rougher area. Dope in lockers, broken windows, and a whole horde of kids that found it amusing to chase and beat the hell out of other kids. Even the teachers were afraid of some of the seniors that were 20 years old and still in high school from failing grades.

Of course, the public school system may be much different in Canada. I do not know.

In the current city where I reside, the education system is in the toilet and makes just as many headlines in the news as the number of robberies and murders. Yet, there is a mega-church on every corner and people are constantly saying that religion and JEE-SUS will fix the problem.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

thegaudyshoe
User is offlineOffline
I have a friend that had

I have a friend that had similar problems, but it was a completely private Catholic school. The school counselor had found out that he was gay and spoke about it with other staff members. He noticed that teachers started treating him differently (negatively, no doubt), and although they never directly mentioned it, he could tell they were making subtle references towards it in the way they were preaching on the subject in front of everyone, but looking at him mostly and just generally giving him a hard time. Needless to say it made him seriously question his faith and he no longer believes in such bullshit, but all the same he doesn't exactly have the best emotional disposition about himself either. Pretty traumatizing it'd seem.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
thegaudyshoe wrote:I have a

thegaudyshoe wrote:

I have a friend that had similar problems, but it was a completely private Catholic school. The school counselor had found out that he was gay and spoke about it with other staff members. He noticed that teachers started treating him differently (negatively, no doubt), and although they never directly mentioned it, he could tell they were making subtle references towards it in the way they were preaching on the subject in front of everyone, but looking at him mostly and just generally giving him a hard time. Needless to say it made him seriously question his faith and he no longer believes in such bullshit, but all the same he doesn't exactly have the best emotional disposition about himself either. Pretty traumatizing it'd seem.

It was hard enough, growing up straight and being told that my sexual thoughts and desires were "base, disgusting, an abomination in the eyes of god". Yet, at least religion said I could fuck....as long as I was married.

I can only imagine what it would be like to be told, your whole childhood, that you were not even supposed to HAVE your sexual orientation and that you were going to go to hell just for being who you are.

Hell, the catholic church fucked up most of my childhood and I am straight. I can only imagine what it does to gay people.

This is one reason why I abhor people that say, "But religion helps a lot of people find fulfillment." Maybe. But I would go so far as to say it has hurt FAR more people than it has helped.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno