Quantum Microscope for Living Biology

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quantum Microscope for Living Biology

A team of Australian scientists has developed a powerful microscope using the laws of quantum mechanics to probe the inner workings of living cells.  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130204163442.htm   

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
They will take credit that

They will take credit that god did this...

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:They

digitalbeachbum wrote:

They will take credit that god did this...

A fascinating article, but yeah, the religious leaders will no doubt insist that this is proof of a god.

The conspiracy theory asshole that I deal with (a good theist that prides himself on having more "knowledge" than everyone else) uses the old standby theist propoganda for quantum physics.

Assertions : "Quantum mechanics is weird "  (Wow, what an intelligent statement. Sorry, but it does not prove god).

"They have PROVEN that particles and atoms misbehave when they are not being observed."  (Not exactly sure what constitutes misbehavior).

"They have PROVEN that atoms work together and YOU can not explain it" ( Don't know who has PROVED this bullshit, but people buy it).

"They KNOW that there is a universal force." (Exactly who is they and define "universal force" )

I really need to research more about this stuff, so that I can easily debunk this crap.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If theists can't understand

If theists can't understand something as simple as evolution, then Clarke's 3rd law applies when dealing with quantum mechanics as well: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:If theists

Vastet wrote:
If theists can't understand something as simple as evolution, then Clarke's 3rd law applies when dealing with quantum mechanics as well: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Exactly !

The theist argument of "well you can't explain quantum mechanics and atoms are weird" is just another variation of the god of the gaps argument.

"Can't explain it, it's weird----MUST BE GOD"

Simple bullshit.

Although, when it comes to debunking these people that wish to prattle about it, I would like some search engine pointers.

Hell, the new electronic deity of google can fuck things up if you do not have the right key words in the search engine.

Like all gods, even google needs the human mind to aid it in it's role Smiling

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes

I'm foolishly arguing with my philosopher brother at the moment. He contends that a theory of mind is not falsifiable so it must be allowed that there could be spirit. It just fucking kills me. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck