Same song and dance from the Catholic Church

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Same song and dance from the Catholic Church

Having grown up Catholic, been an altar boy and experienced the attempts of a priest who was a pedo, I can't say I'm shocked by this news. I hope they grow a set of balls and fry the fuckers involved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57565286/evidence-shows-bold-l.a-priest-abuse-cover-up/

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Recovering

Recovering former Catholic myself. I must say that while a part of me found the idea of a meth dealing priest (some old vestiges of my religious upbringing maybe ?) too far out to be true, the more that I thought about, the more that it seemed like a plausible possibility.

I personally never experienced any scenarios where I could think that a priest was acting in an inappropriate manner towards me (I was an altar boy as well) but I can say that I met plenty of priests that were mentally unbalanced or alcoholic.

I remember one priest that was given to vicious fits of rage, temper tantrums and sheer terrifying outbursts in the back sacristy of the church.

The crime ? Anyone that talked during mass, whispered to one another or laughed. Guy was so looney tunes about it that I used to be terrified of being an altar boy when he was doing the mass.

Could it have possibly been substances. To be honest, as many times as he acted so strangely on Sunday mornings, I would have to say that I would not be the least bit surprised by it, if it turned out to be true.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Recovering former Catholic myself. I must say that while a part of me found the idea of a meth dealing priest (some old vestiges of my religious upbringing maybe ?) too far out to be true, the more that I thought about, the more that it seemed like a plausible possibility.

I personally never experienced any scenarios where I could think that a priest was acting in an inappropriate manner towards me (I was an altar boy as well) but I can say that I met plenty of priests that were mentally unbalanced or alcoholic.

I remember one priest that was given to vicious fits of rage, temper tantrums and sheer terrifying outbursts in the back sacristy of the church.

The crime ? Anyone that talked during mass, whispered to one another or laughed. Guy was so looney tunes about it that I used to be terrified of being an altar boy when he was doing the mass.

Could it have possibly been substances. To be honest, as many times as he acted so strangely on Sunday mornings, I would have to say that I would not be the least bit surprised by it, if it turned out to be true.

me too. I knew of no priests that were this bad but the more I thought about it the more I realized that these assholes are people too. And I suspect most of them actually don't believe in what they preach, which is why that entire "we forgive" shit spews forth when a priest is caught raping a kid.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:me

digitalbeachbum wrote:

me too. I knew of no priests that were this bad but the more I thought about it the more I realized that these assholes are people too. And I suspect most of them actually don't believe in what they preach, which is why that entire "we forgive" shit spews forth when a priest is caught raping a kid.

Now that you bring that up, it does make me wonder how many of the priests might not actually believe any of this crap that they are peddling. It had never occurred to me before that they might have figured out that it was all a sham.

Funny. Because when I was first having serious doubts about my faith, I remember secretly telling a church member that I thought it might all be a lie. They astonished me by telling me that it probably all was a lie "but that it was the best lie that I could ever hope to have."

I wonder how many upstanding church people feel that way ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Now that you bring that up, it does make me wonder how many of the priests might not actually believe any of this crap that they are peddling. It had never occurred to me before that they might have figured out that it was all a sham.

Funny. Because when I was first having serious doubts about my faith, I remember secretly telling a church member that I thought it might all be a lie. They astonished me by telling me that it probably all was a lie "but that it was the best lie that I could ever hope to have."

I wonder how many upstanding church people feel that way ?

I had a long talk with my oldest brother who happens to be this medical researcher for a big university, like PhD and stuff like that...

Anyway I was talking to him about why he believed in abortion and still went to catholic church. he told me that he didn't believe in the church or the shit the peddled. He said that the real reason why he went was to teach his kids social structure. When they get older they can do what they want.

Sure enough, when the kids hit 16 he told them they never had to go again, if they didn't want to.

He occasionally still goes with his wife on specific occasions, but for the most part, they don't believe in the shit the church peddles.

I knew a priest, an Irish one, who was totally against the church in the traditional sense. Didn't come out and say it directly, but in a round about way, he basically said the catholic church was a bunch of lying, corrupt, creeps who were power hungry.

When I asked him why he still worked for the church or why they kept him, it was because he could do a lot of good by countering their shit. They also kept him around because he brought in a shit load of money.

But it wasn't to last.

They ended up moving him around to parishes which were just starting out or fucked up. Once he got the ball rolling they would move him out to another location. He left the local church a long time ago and I never saw him again.

He was one priest I liked. You could go out and have a beer with him, watch a game and he would shout at the television saying the ref was blind.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I had

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I had a long talk with my oldest brother who happens to be this medical researcher for a big university, like PhD and stuff like that...

Anyway I was talking to him about why he believed in abortion and still went to catholic church. he told me that he didn't believe in the church or the shit the peddled. He said that the real reason why he went was to teach his kids social structure. When they get older they can do what they want.

Sure enough, when the kids hit 16 he told them they never had to go again, if they didn't want to.

He occasionally still goes with his wife on specific occasions, but for the most part, they don't believe in the shit the church peddles.

I knew a priest, an Irish one, who was totally against the church in the traditional sense. Didn't come out and say it directly, but in a round about way, he basically said the catholic church was a bunch of lying, corrupt, creeps who were power hungry.

When I asked him why he still worked for the church or why they kept him, it was because he could do a lot of good by countering their shit. They also kept him around because he brought in a shit load of money.

But it wasn't to last.

They ended up moving him around to parishes which were just starting out or fucked up. Once he got the ball rolling they would move him out to another location. He left the local church a long time ago and I never saw him again.

He was one priest I liked. You could go out and have a beer with him, watch a game and he would shout at the television saying the ref was blind.

That doesn't surprise me too much. I know that my older sister seems to pretty much go there for the same reason.

She is one of the few theists in my family that doesn't give me crap about being an Atheist.

But anyway, one time she told me that she took her kids there "because it is what your supposed to do."

I knew of a priest that was similiar to what you are describing. I never got a chance to ask him what he really believed or why he was there, but it seemed like every homily after the readings was always a counter to all things that the church preached.

He too got moved eventually.

I remember a couple of homilies where he seemed to go against the grain.

For instance, when it came to abortion, he would always go back to the "cast the first stone he who is without sin" and such. And one time he talked against all of the people that would had the attitude of " Psst, that man over there has HIV we all KNOW what is wrong with him."

Perhaps the inside structure of all churches are really more rotten to the core than most of us suspect.

― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Perhaps the inside structure of all churches are really more rotten to the core than most of us suspect.

Amen brother.

The core is stinky rotten. You have a few good people on the outside, but there is so much corruption in the catholic church that it boggles my mind. I mean seriously. You have 2000 years? of war, murder, pillaging and so much more. I think that they are fucking wealthy as shit too and pay no taxes to boot!!!