Cannabis more damaging to under-18s, study suggests

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cannabis more damaging to under-18s, study suggests

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/aug/27/cannabis-damaging-under-18s-study

Quote:

"Marijuana is not harmless, particularly for adolescents," said Madeline Meier from Duke, one of the researchers. While eight IQ points on a scale where the mean is 100 may not sound a lot, she said, a drop from 100 to 92 represents a move from the 50th to the 29th percentile. Higher IQs correlate with higher education and income, better health and a longer life.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was a British study

There was a British study published last year that followed subjects for 25 years and found people with high childhood IQ were more likely to use drugs. Maybe marijuana is balancing things out so smart people can more easily interact with their stupider peers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111114221018.htm

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good thing I've never smoked

Good thing I've never smoked weed, provided this is accurate. Wouldn't want to lose IQ.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Carl Sagan was a

Carl Sagan was a dedicated marijuana user.   Look at the cognitive damage he was forced to live with.  Tragic, just tragic. So much wasted potential.

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
This just makes cannabis

This just makes cannabis even better, not only do you get an awesome high you get a permanent retarding effect making life seem even lovelier in the long run.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 If you look at the tables

If you look at the tables in the study you will see that where the potheads really failed was vocabulary and memory. They actually improved more than non-smokers at arithmetic and far exceeded non-smokers in picture completion (where they show you a picture and you have to identify what is missing). This makes sense since potheads tend to make up their own words (not good for a vocab test), but are really good at fractions. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:This just

Manageri wrote:

This just makes cannabis even better, not only do you get an awesome high you get a permanent retarding effect making life seem even lovelier in the long run.

You mean something like this ?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Carl Sagan was a dedicated marijuana user.   Look at the cognitive damage he was forced to live with.  Tragic, just tragic. So much wasted potential.

bell curve lrn to it

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, the fact that we

well, the fact that we even bother debating the "dangers" of marijuana today on such a ridiculous scale can be traced back not to a sober scientific study or a chain of horrific incidents involving marijuana use but the fear-mongering of newspaper baron william randolph hearst.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Lmao.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

bell curve lrn to it

Marijuana is one of the safest illegal drugs in existence if not the most safe.

Oh, wow, it possibly lowers your IQ slightly (IQ isn't even intelligence, but a collection of somewhat subjective symptoms of intelligence).

Alcohol and tobacco kill so many more people that it is really not even funny. Marijuana can't overdose in the practical sense, it doesn't addict anywhere near as strongly as tobacco, and kills way less brain cells (if any) than passing out from alcohol does. Why marijuana is illegal and alcohol and tobacco are not I'll never know.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
Would be interesting to see

Would be interesting to see what the results would be in a similar study with some serious alcohol use.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
  Marijuana was always my

Marijuana was always my drug.  I only abstain because of my job.

{ oh yeah, I guess I never got the memo about pot being a "gateway" drug to harder drugs.  Never went there. }

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Marijuana was always my drug. 

Well, that explains a lot

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Ewwww, such killer instinct !   Go for the throat !  Grrrrr !

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Marijuana was always my drug.  I only abstain because of my job.

{ oh yeah, I guess I never got the memo about pot being a "gateway" drug to harder drugs.  Never went there. }

For some comical reason, every time I hear someone mentioning pot being a "gateway" drug, my mind jumps to that scene in Easy Rider where Jack Nicholson is hesitantly smoking a joint for the first time and saying " Well, it leads to harder stuff. Course it might not do much for me I mean, with the booze and all."

That classic line where he says "All walks of life" and then reiterates "all walks of life" proceeded by the pot induced laugh is an experience that I can say that I have related to on more than one occasion. 

There's a biker buddy of mine that used to be one of the meanest sonofabitches when he got booze in him that you did not want to cross paths with him. Once he gave up drinking and started smoking grass (maryjane maintenance, he calls it). I have yet to see him swing on anyone. Much calmer company to be around and less likely to end up in a brawl. Plus conversation gets FAR more philosophical when he is indulging in maryjane maintenance.

Like you, I laid off of it because of all the random drug tests at work. Plus, if you have an accident or even so much as slip and fall, it is an automatic drug screen. Which I think is bullshit.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Marijuana was always my drug. 

Well, that explains a lot

That is totally not at all infantile of you to say.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:That is

ThunderJones wrote:

Well, I see somebody has their big girl panties twisted.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

It's just funny that you can't seem to stop yourself from attacking the people you claim to want to have good discussions in your threads.

Now go running off trolololing.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:It's just

ThunderJones wrote:

It's just funny that you can't seem to stop yourself from attacking the people you claim to want to have good discussions in your threads.

Well, thank you for the insight Dr. Jones. Oh please tell me more about my psyche

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Par for the Course Really

The Good Captain wrote:

When do you ever not Captain?

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

Well, thank you for the insight Dr. Jones. Oh please tell me more about my psyche

All I know is that if you really cared about the discussion then you would not snipe at people and ignore the actual content of posts in favor of dropping little childish comments.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
  Seriously, don't pay

Seriously, don't pay attention to Cpt_pineapple.   She's just the RRS's version of Ted Kaczynski ( aka The Unabomber ).   Remember him ?  He was the brilliant PhD who was very successful in the academic world but who was a social / psychological misfit who ended up living in a shack.

Hopefully she'll just stick to being a troll and not start sending out letter bombs like he did.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Seriously, don't pay attention to Cpt_pineapple.   She's just the RRS's version of Ted Kaczynski ( aka The Unabomber ).   Remember him ?  He was the brilliant PhD who was very successful in the academic world but who was a social / psychological misfit who ended up living in a shack.

that rules cap out.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:ProzacDeathWish

iwbiek wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

that rules cap out.

exsqueeze me?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:iwbiek

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

that rules cap out.

exsqueeze me?

i'm sorry, do you in fact have a phd. and a distinguished academic career?

(not that i wouldn't find a reason to make fun of that too.)

--Hunter S. Thompson

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i'm sorry, do

iwbiek wrote:

It's the fact that the lack of phd and academic career ruled me out rather than you know, the psyche of a nut job

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:iwbiek

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

It's the fact that the lack of phd and academic career ruled me out rather than you know, the psyche of a nut job

pretty much...

--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
  Academic awards weren't

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
It's the fact that the lack of a phd and academic career ruled me out...

You're also not male like Kaczynski but the comparison still stands.

Intellectual aptitude combined with significant psychological / emotional  impairment was my basis for comparison.