Let The Gays Eat Cake

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let The Gays Eat Cake

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/07/28/lakewood-cake-shop-refuses-wedding-cake-to-gay-couple/

Quote:

The owner of Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood refused to bake a wedding cake for a local gay couple and now people are pushing a boycott against the owner.

Shop owner Jack Phillips probably didn’t think he was going to be wading into a civil rights debate a week ago when he told the gay couple that he would not make a cake for their wedding, but that’s exactly what has happened.

Dave Mullin and Charlie Craig say they dated for nearly two years before getting engaged. They went into the Masterpiece Cake Shop thinking they’d spend a full day trying cakes for their ceremony. Instead the meeting lasted a few seconds.

“My first comment was, ‘We’re getting married,’ and he just shut that down immediately,” Craig said.

Mullin and Craig were stunned. They went online and posted their experience on Facebook. The response has been huge.

Dozens of protesters gathered outside the shop on Saturday and were very angry.

It wasn’t the first time the shop turned down gay couples who wanted a cake. Phillips has received more than 1,000 angry messages about his stance.

“If gays come in and want to order birthday cakes or any cakes for any occasion, graduations, or whatever, I have no prejudice against that whatsoever,” Phillips said. “It’s just the wedding cake, not the people, not their lifestyle.”

This is exactly how this kind of bigotry should be handled, publicize it and protest it, letting people know exactly who the bigots are. I don't understand why any business would refuse to service any customer, customers are hard enough to keep coming when you accept all of them. Especially for a cake shop since over 2/3rds of people 18-34 support gay marriage or civil unions and I imagine that is their core demographic for selling wedding cakes to. People who make stupid business decisions deserve to go out of business and imo this is a really stupid business decision.

The few people who might order a cake to support the bigot will probably forget about this incident long before the people who boycott it. Somehow I don't think this guy is going to see any of the gays he has made birthday cakes for ever coming back through the door.   

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
as my husband says....

Stupid is forever.

Just what did the owner think would happen?  You made some good points about the demographic.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

hbmbc30
hbmbc30's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmm

its his right to be a bigot but unfortunatley he screwed up big time.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
hbmbc30 wrote:its his right

hbmbc30 wrote:

its his right to be a bigot but unfortunatley he screwed up big time.

You mean fortunately. There is nothing more satisfying to me than to watch a bigot crash and burn.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: 

Beyond Saving wrote:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/07/28/lakewood-cake-shop-refuses-wedding-cake-to-gay-couple/

Quote:

The owner of Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood refused to bake a wedding cake for a local gay couple and now people are pushing a boycott against the owner.

Shop owner Jack Phillips probably didn’t think he was going to be wading into a civil rights debate a week ago when he told the gay couple that he would not make a cake for their wedding, but that’s exactly what has happened.

Dave Mullin and Charlie Craig say they dated for nearly two years before getting engaged. They went into the Masterpiece Cake Shop thinking they’d spend a full day trying cakes for their ceremony. Instead the meeting lasted a few seconds.

“My first comment was, ‘We’re getting married,’ and he just shut that down immediately,” Craig said.

Mullin and Craig were stunned. They went online and posted their experience on Facebook. The response has been huge.

Dozens of protesters gathered outside the shop on Saturday and were very angry.

It wasn’t the first time the shop turned down gay couples who wanted a cake. Phillips has received more than 1,000 angry messages about his stance.

“If gays come in and want to order birthday cakes or any cakes for any occasion, graduations, or whatever, I have no prejudice against that whatsoever,” Phillips said. “It’s just the wedding cake, not the people, not their lifestyle.”

This is exactly how this kind of bigotry should be handled, publicize it and protest it, letting people know exactly who the bigots are. I don't understand why any business would refuse to service any customer, customers are hard enough to keep coming when you accept all of them. Especially for a cake shop since over 2/3rds of people 18-34 support gay marriage or civil unions and I imagine that is their core demographic for selling wedding cakes to. People who make stupid business decisions deserve to go out of business and imo this is a really stupid business decision.

The few people who might order a cake to support the bigot will probably forget about this incident long before the people who boycott it. Somehow I don't think this guy is going to see any of the gays he has made birthday cakes for ever coming back through the door.   

Beyond, every time you post something I agree with ..........UGH! You have so much potential to actually be a decent human, you are mostly there already, you just need to give up on your failed economic views. JOIN THE DARK SIDE LUKE! You still owe this commie a beer.

In all seriousness, I couldn't agree with you more, at least on this issue.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Discrimination isn't always

Discrimination isn't always irrational in a business sense. The person could end up selling more cake because of his prejudice.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
He should be fined.

He should be fined.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.