Wonderful Life with the Elements: The Periodic Table Personified

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonderful Life with the Elements: The Periodic Table Personified

I am always on the look out for a good easy to read science book. And this one caught my eye and gave me a laugh. It anthropomorphize the elements.

Click here to see more about the book and click on the look inside. I stuck on my wish list. It will come out in Sept. Novel approach.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-Life-Elements-Periodic-Personified/dp/1593274238/

Here is a sample page.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like a fun way to

Looks like a fun way to learn.

I may have to get myself a copy.  Especially if I decide to retake chemistry.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

peto verum
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Perfect!

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention!   My eldest daughter will be soon introduced to chemistry and this hopefully will engage her dominant right brain approach to learning.

KORAN, n.
A book which the Mohammedans foolishly believe to have been written by divine inspiration, but which Christians know to be a wicked imposture, contradictory to the Holy Scriptures. ~ The Devil's Dictionary

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I remember

I remember only a little bit of chemistry from school. Hehe. Everytime, I see or hear about the periodic table of elements now, I think about that tv show "Breaking Bad". A high school chemistry teacher and a former student, riding around in an RV, cooking meth and always running into psychotic drug lords. Great series to any who have not seen it.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I

harleysportster wrote:

I remember only a little bit of chemistry from school. Hehe. Everytime, I see or hear about the periodic table of elements now, I think about that tv show "Breaking Bad". A high school chemistry teacher and a former student, riding around in an RV, cooking meth and always running into psychotic drug lords. Great series to any who have not seen it.

I'll cook that meth the way I want... bitch!

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I

harleysportster wrote:

My wife and I love that show. On the opening credits I like to see how many symbOls I can NAme.

I have to remind myself that the HS chemistry teacher used to be the Malcolm In The Middle dad. He is such a great actor. I understand this is the last season. Sad

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
peto verum wrote:Thanks for

peto verum wrote:

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention!   My eldest daughter will be soon introduced to chemistry and this hopefully will engage her dominant right brain approach to learning.

Welcome. Hope she enjoys it.

Religion Kills !!!

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:I'll cook

ThunderJones wrote:

LOL.

I think one of the funniest moments, is in the first season, where Jesse tries to recruit one of his dimwit buddies that has a job waving a sign and explains to Jesse the moves of the job are complex : " There's the helicopter move, man."

Anyway, when the meth batch is repeatedly thrown out for being nasty, Jesse's friend screams at him : "YOU WASTED THREE POUNDS !". Then, he grabs Jesse, lifts him up over his head and screams : " HELICOPTER BITCH !".

After the fight, Jesse tosses him out of the RV and is trying to drive away whilst his friend is shooting at him with a crossbow. I was dying laughing.

That and the scene where the acid eats the bathtub out and it falls through the ceiling.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister

ex-minister wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

My wife and I love that show. On the opening credits I like to see how many symbOls I can NAme.

I have to remind myself that the HS chemistry teacher used to be the Malcolm In The Middle dad. He is such a great actor. I understand this is the last season. Sad

Yeah, fantastic show, I am kind of glad they are making the last season in a conscious effort to finish telling the story. Too many great shows get stretched across more seasons than needed or compressed into too few when they get canceled. Nice to see a show that has the discipline to allow the story to determine the length. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond, That is such an

Beyond,

That is such an excellent point.

Religion Kills !!!

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

LOL.

I think one of the funniest moments, is in the first season, where Jesse tries to recruit one of his dimwit buddies that has a job waving a sign and explains to Jesse the moves of the job are complex : " There's the helicopter move, man."

Anyway, when the meth batch is repeatedly thrown out for being nasty, Jesse's friend screams at him : "YOU WASTED THREE POUNDS !". Then, he grabs Jesse, lifts him up over his head and screams : " HELICOPTER BITCH !".

After the fight, Jesse tosses him out of the RV and is trying to drive away whilst his friend is shooting at him with a crossbow. I was dying laughing.

That and the scene where the acid eats the bathtub out and it falls through the ceiling.

Yeah Jesse is hilarious. Constant use of the "This is for emphasis. BITCH!" trope. (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThisIsForEmphasisBitch)

I love it. The whole show is very good dark comedy. Thought it got a little weird in the fourth or so season though D:

The bathtub thing is just one of many painful examples of Jesse's incompetence. I liked the scene where Jesse literally has a dead body right next to him and main character's wife shows up to talk to him. His legs were even poking out abit from behind the RV if I remember correctly. Horray for inattentiveness!

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker