Younger generation has doubted existence of god more

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Younger generation has doubted existence of god more

http://www.people-press.org/2012/06/04/section-6-religion-and-social-values/

Pew Research Study

Partisan Polarization Surges in Bush, Obama Years Trends in American Values: 1987-2012

Down the page a bit there a chart showing the younger generation has doubted the existence of god more than prior generation. Maybe there us hope afterall.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I think there are so many

I think there are so many people that will just say they still believe in god even if they don't.  I think we will see a big surge in people coming out of the atheist closet as the times are changing.

We also tend to forget about the multitude that just doesn't care and will say they believe in god just cuz it's been the accepted and easy answer for so long, even on an anonymous survey. Most of the people I am acquainted with would fall into that category.

Even tho alot of them are just morons, I still try to point out the harm religion does whenever I can plug it in, in hopes they will take things a little more seriously where religion is concerned.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's really the internet. It

It's really the internet. It has become a requirement for education, yet the vast majority of theist resources are offline.
On top of that, the level of communication it has afforded has made it easy to find competing belief and non-belief systems. It was not so 20 years ago. If I wanted to know about atheists or moslems as a child, the easiest and most available sources were christian, and thus inaccurate at best.
And these things also simply were not part of every day discussion. I don't think I heard the word atheist until I was in my late teens.
Today I can do a web search and find out practically anything that humanity has done or believed that anyone anywhere knows about, and get that information directly from the actual source. Discuss it and ask questions.
Todays generation doesn't know how lucky they are.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:It's really the

Vastet wrote:
It's really the internet. It has become a requirement for education, yet the vast majority of theist resources are offline. On top of that, the level of communication it has afforded has made it easy to find competing belief and non-belief systems. It was not so 20 years ago. If I wanted to know about atheists or moslems as a child, the easiest and most available sources were christian, and thus inaccurate at best. And these things also simply were not part of every day discussion. I don't think I heard the word atheist until I was in my late teens. Today I can do a web search and find out practically anything that humanity has done or believed that anyone anywhere knows about, and get that information directly from the actual source. Discuss it and ask questions. Todays generation doesn't know how lucky they are.

I agree Vastet. Websites like this one are out there to let allot of people know that they are not crazy or alone. 

The latest meme that I have heard more in recent years than say, a decade ago, is the term "I am spiritual but not religious." 

I think that just means that someone is a fence straddler that does not like the strict dogma of the churches but can not give up the idea of a deity, or an "ultimate purpose" to everything. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno