harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
States that "ban" Atheists from holding public office

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/481749?o=2798&qsrc=999

This is one link that I found :

Here's exactly what Tennessee's constitution says:

ARTICLE I
Declaration of Rights
Section 4. That no political or religious test, other than an oath to support the Constitution of the United States and of this state, shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under this state.

BUT then it also says:

ARTICLE IX
Disqualifications
Section 2: No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Article 19, § 1 of Arkansas's constitution provides:

No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court.

Article VI, § 2 of South Carolina's constitution says this:

No person who denies the existence of the Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.
North Carolina
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God...." Constitution Article 6 Section 8

Texas
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being." Article 1 - Bill of Rights: Section 4

Double check that last sentence - contradictions ahoy!!

Other links :

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/184232/these-7-states-ban-atheists-from-holding-public-office/

http://urlybits.com/2011/04/atheists-banned-from-holding-public-office-in-seven-states/

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Abu_Lahab
User is offlineOffline
Aren't most atheists

Aren't most atheists sensible enough to not live those places?

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Here's my question

Here is my question : Is this actually an enforceable law ? Or is this simply something that has never been taken off of the books and would not hold up ?

I read somewhere that it was overturned in one state and therefore no longer applicable ( can't seem to find that article through google) but was wondering if that were true or not.

Of course, in some of these states, an open Atheist probably would not stand a chance anyway, due to the heavy influence of the churches and ministers.

Here in Memphis, TN. There is a mega-church called Bellevue Baptist that is so gigantic they actually use the local sheriff's department to direct traffic on Sunday mornings to let people in and out.

When I lived close to that place, it used to piss me off that I would be stuck in a traffic jam on Sunday morning, so the "faithful" could have the right of way.

That is not the only mega church in Memphis that utilizes that service. I think some may use private security, but it would seem easier to put up a traffic light.

I don't think an Atheist could run here and have any hope.

But, it wouldn't hurt for someone to try.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Abu_Lahab wrote:Aren't most

Abu_Lahab wrote:

One of my favorite You Tube Atheists : Aron Ra, broadcasts right out of Texas.

Oddly enough, when you get over into the Mid-Town district of Memphis,TN. (it's an artsy type of district) you have alot of freethinkers, secularists and such.

The churches tried to stop a Gay Pride parade from happening in that district one time and was unsuccesful.  The churches also make a big deal out of picketing Planned Parenthood in that area and don't seem to get much attention.

But, I guess that area is not comprised of enough voters or political activists to give a candidate with a more secular attitude any leeway.

― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Here

harleysportster wrote:

Here is my question : Is this actually an enforceable law ? Or is this simply something that has never been taken off of the books and would not hold up ?

I read somewhere that it was overturned in one state and therefore no longer applicable ( can't seem to find that article through google) but was wondering if that were true or not.

It is not enforceable, they just remain on the books because no one has bothered to repeal them or to amend the state constitution. Supreme Court precedent is very clear that such laws are unconstitutional and if any state tried to enforce it the law would be struck down quickly. The most relevant court case is Torcaso v. Watkins 367 U.S. 488 in 1961 where an atheist who was appointed a notary public refused to declare a belief in god. 

Justice Black wrote for a unanimous court

Justice Black wrote:

There is, and can be, no dispute about the purpose or effect of the Maryland Declaration of Rights requirement before us - it sets up a religious test which was designed to and, if valid, does bar every person who refuses to declare a belief in God from holding a public "office of profit or trust" in Maryland. ... We repeat and again reaffirm that neither a State nor the Federal Government can constitutionally force a person "to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion." Neither can constitutionally pass laws or impose requirements which aid all religions as against non-believers, and neither can aid those religions based on a belief in the existence of God as against those religions founded on different beliefs.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=us&vol=367&invol=488

So it is clear that it is in fact unconstitutional. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for that

Thanks for that information Beyond.

It's good to know.

Abu_Lahab
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Abu_Lahab wrote:

Sorry, harleysportster, I was being flippant. I know a couple of good people from those locations.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Abu_Lahab

Abu_Lahab wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Abu_Lahab wrote:

Sorry, harleysportster, I was being flippant. I know a couple of good people from those locations.

I know. Smiling  

― Giordano Bruno

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Harley

Harley,

By definition, since atheists do not support the constitution but the communistic manifesto (the consistent atheists) then logically they are disqualified and traitors of this fine country we call America.

My traitor friend, this is why you cannot and should not. But people like you do, and slowly we will be like the old school of China.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Harley,By

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Harley,

By definition, since atheists do not support the constitution but the communistic manifesto (the consistent atheists) then logically they are disqualified and traitors of this fine country we call America.

My traitor friend, this is why you cannot and should not. But people like you do, and slowly we will be like the old school of China.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
. . Papa Smurf and the programming of your youth .. ..

Atheistextremist wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Harley,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Notice the the image the shift from yellow to red, did you know the same color of the Maoists  Little Red Books  (millions died under Mao); Red the setting of the sun, more a symbol of chaos and the eastern parts of hell. And  ever notice  Papa Smurf , the unelected Papa Smurf?!?  Note 'the' colour of the hat he wears.  What about "red colored" hearts,  obviously  the worship of a Pagan goddess: Aphrodite, into the modern age. And the devil, again the red along with pitch-folk another symbol.. Would you not  like  to wipe that smug look off of his little face. See Image --

(sorry Extreme didnt mean to pull you into this)

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Harley,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Jean Jean Jean,

I'm convinced you are a prophet.  We haven't had a good doomsday cult lately. I'm sure you already have a creed laid out and it's chocked full of "Jeanisms"

When you are dictator of the world, don't forget your old buddy Tony.  I trust you will grant me a quick and painless death.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Harley,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

I thought the Constitution stresses the Seperation of Church and State ? 

Much like how " In god we trust" did not appear on the dollar bill until the middle of the 20th Century ? 

Or the fact that the original "Pledge of Allegiance did not mention the word god ? 

Now who is being inconsistent ? 

― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Abu_Lahab wrote:Aren't most

Abu_Lahab wrote:

Um first off I have to live in NC because my mom is getting up there and I need to be there for her, she chose to move down here. Secondly it is dirt cheap(well, cost of living sucks everywhere) BUT it is cheap compared to most places, especially big cities and suburbs. And far less traffic too.

It just shows how retarded the state founders were compared to the guys who wrote the U.S. Constitution.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
harleysportster wrote:Jean

harleysportster wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Harley,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

I thought the Constitution stresses the Seperation of Church and State ? 

Much like how " In god we trust" did not appear on the dollar bill until the middle of the 20th Century ? 

Or the fact that the original "Pledge of Allegiance did not mention the word god ? 

Now who is being inconsistent ? 

Actually Harley "In God We Trust" was on some coins as early as the late 1800s the 1950s crap that got that motto put on all currency and in the pledge was marketing by Catholics especially, but not exclusively, because of the Communist Red scare.

To President Teddy's credit though, back then when asked if the motto should be on coins he said no because of what money can be used for, such as gambling and prostitution and drugs.

And a bit of irony for the memory of Susan B. Anthony, and her  coin which has "In God We Trust", she once said "I distrust so much what god believers say what their god wants because it coincides with their desires".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog