Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
This post sucks up my bandwidth

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cant run link getting nothing

Cant  run  link  getting  nothing.

Yuan asserts that we should all love and respect one other, especially enough to get something that will run on slower machines

Remember the kind invite to the  Isis  Thread .

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Jesus loves me

could you please give me an objective value for love. I want to know if jesus loves me as I love, or if he has some other standard of loving or if it's even possible to tell the difference and the whole concept of a loving 'god' is an assertion based on nothing at all. I also want to know how it's possible to torture those you say you love. I could never do this - torture someone I loved for not loving me enough. Could you?

Of course, as humanists, we all 'love' the social revolutionary kombi jesus but we find the character a wee bit inconsistent. The murder of an innocent tree, the word games with Pilate, the threats of lakes of fire in the book of Mark. Jesus seems a little, schizophrenic, if you know what I mean. It makes me wonder whether the whole idea of jesus wasn't knocked off from some concept of the perfect young man, a sketch by Epicetus. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

could you please give me an objective value for love. I want to know if jesus loves me as I love, or if he has some other standard of loving or if it's even possible to tell the difference and the whole concept of a loving 'god' is an assertion based on nothing at all. I also want to know how it's possible to torture those you say you love. I could never do this - torture someone I loved for not loving me enough. Could you?

Of course, as humanists, we all 'love' the social revolutionary kombi jesus but we find the character a wee bit inconsistent. The murder of an innocent tree, the word games with Pilate, the threats of lakes of fire in the book of Mark. Jesus seems a little, schizophrenic, if you know what I mean. It makes me wonder whether the whole idea of jesus wasn't knocked off from some concept of the perfect young man, a sketch by Epicetus. 

Before you go and ask the "loving God" questions you need to have an understanding of the Holiness of God. The Bible cites the eternal cry of the angels as "Holy Holy Holy Lord". Yes God is loving but He said "Be Holy as I am Holy"
Once you understand the Holiness of God, which is central to His character, then it is simple to understand His love.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I see

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Before you go and ask the "loving God" questions you need to have an understanding of the Holiness of God. The Bible cites the eternal cry of the angels as "Holy Holy Holy Lord". Yes God is loving but He said "Be Holy as I am Holy" Once you understand the Holiness of God, which is central to His character, then it is simple to understand His love.

So it's not human love then, JLY, is it? Could you explain why its called love, if we can't understand it as being love?

And what do you mean by holy? What does that word mean in this reality? Is it a quality that can be measured or is it a bald assertion based on a definition that uses words without clear meanings? Words like divine, exalted, righteous...

What are you actually talking about? 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Understanding His loves comes with Understanding His Holiness

Atheistextremist wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Before you go and ask the "loving God" questions you need to have an understanding of the Holiness of God. The Bible cites the eternal cry of the angels as "Holy Holy Holy Lord". Yes God is loving but He said "Be Holy as I am Holy" Once you understand the Holiness of God, which is central to His character, then it is simple to understand His love.

So it's not human love then, JLY, is it? Could you explain why its called love, if we can't understand it as being love?

And what do you mean by holy? What does that word mean in this reality? Is it a quality that can be measured or is it a bald assertion based on a definition that uses words without clear meanings? Words like divine, exalted, righteous...

What are you actually talking about? 

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus Loves You is this what you mean?

AE, I think what JLY is trying to say by his empty response is, "It makes sense if you don't think about it". Is that right JLY?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:bad

JesusLovesYou wrote:

bad link

The best I can tell JLY meant this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsu-H79pZps

Typical Christian video, like/dislike buttons are disabled, you cannot even embed it elsewhere and there are no comments so they are either blocked or require approval. You know them Christians they cannot tolerate any contrary opinions. That is why they are going into politics to change the law in regards to homosexuality and science. They cannot win by legitimate dialogue, so they must change the game to make the world safe for their precious opinions. This Yaun guy is all breathless as he speaks. That how you know it is "true". Weep and applaud everyone!

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: AE, I

ex-minister wrote:

AE, I think what JLY is trying to say by his empty response is, "It makes sense if you don't think about it". Is that right JLY?

No that means NMCI sucks and that the response I wrote didn't get posted

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou

JesusLovesYou wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Well please repost.

Religion Kills !!!

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister

ex-minister wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Well please repost.

The Holiness of God: 

The ability of Christ to remain free from sin, what Moses saw at the burning bush, Isaiah's vision of the throne room, Peter, James, John's experience of the transfiguration.

The word Isaiah uses is (hebrew of course) Qadash, which is simply this:

1) God's holiness evokes awe. He is frightening beyond belief and filled with superhuman and potentially fatal power.

2) God is set apart from a others and evokes our adoration and reverence.  It is in this way that we as believers are called to be holy.  WE are called "saints"-literally the set apart ones. 

To us its to be cleansed, purified, forgiven

It was the Holiness of God that demanded that sin be paid for, and love that compelled Him to pay the price Himself. 

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Anthony Acevado-former Latin King member

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
links not working

JLY,

You links are not working. All you need to do is just put in the URL without any HTML like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=diBYdQFEAW8

When you post the comment the app will set it up as a clickable link.

I cannot determine what you meant to do above.

Religion Kills !!!

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi JLY

JesusLovesYou wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Well please repost.

The Holiness of God: 

The ability of Christ to remain free from sin, what Moses saw at the burning bush, Isaiah's vision of the throne room, Peter, James, John's experience of the transfiguration.

1) God's holiness evokes awe. He is frightening beyond belief and filled with superhuman and potentially fatal power.

2) God is set apart from a others and evokes our adoration and reverence.  It is in this way that we as believers are called to be holy.  WE are called "saints"-literally the set apart ones. 

It was the Holiness of God that demanded that sin be paid for, and love that compelled Him to pay the price Himself. 

We speak an entirely different language, have different standards of evidence and are certain to talk past each other.  

As a case in point, I re-paste your assertions, truth claims that are utterly unverifiable and undefinable. For my part, I treat incomprehensible assertions like these with skepticism. 

How can you possibly know any of these things are facts? Nor do I yet have a definition of holiness that is coherent or testable. The best you offer is that jesus is free from 'sin'. To me this simply passes the buck and fails to actually define the quality we are discussing. I still don't know what holiness is and now I have to wrestle the definitions of more vague words like 'perfect' and 'sin', both of which are subjective and unmeasurable. 

My family are all fundamentalist christians and given long experience arguing with them I have no thought I could ever bring any argument that would make you alter your position on such a cherished belief system. You love jesus and he is your saviour. Good-oh. From my perspective, however, your mental projection is in fact my eternal torturer. The fact you are able to love and worship that torturer says more about you than it does about me. I would never worship your torturer, JLY. Nor would I rationalise that violence with undefinable assertions about perfect holiness and perfect justice - things that cannot be known by humans in this place. 

Needless to say, any claim you make for a supernatural origin for the universe, life, morality, etc, is going to be contested here by people who operate in a different cognitive paradigm from yours. We don't know the truth nor do we expect to ever know it. But we demand a measure of empiricism to support truth claims in order to establish what we are prepared to say is reasonable belief. And we will sternly resist being bullied in accepting incomprehensible dogma by the fallacious appeals to force that lie at the centre of the christian faith.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even though I used to

Even though I used to believe all that it does strike me very odd today. If I am a better man then I would strike fear into evildoers? Be holy as god is holy?
If anything it would be the opposite. The better I am the more I would attract people.
This god instead is just a thug. Do as I say or burn. That is not holy, good, and loving to me.

Religion Kills !!!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

JesusLovesYou wrote:

The Holiness of God: 

Everyone knows Moses is a myth. Myths do not have hallucinations. Visions are called hallucinations or simply lies.

Quote:

Do you have anyone who will vouch for the character of this Isaiah character?

In any event obviously a different god than your Jesus character.

Quote:

One hell of a lot simpler just to remove things from the sin category altogether. Just eliminate sin completely and end the whole silly routine. After all you would think a god has better things to do with its time than worry about penny ante crap like this.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml