Dissecting God Part 1: Is Religion Rational

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dissecting God Part 1: Is Religion Rational

This is my first attempt at a documentary, so far with almost zero money spent. This is a rough template basically, I hope to expand this when and if a budget becomes available. My purpose here was to accurately show a theistic scientist and his beliefs and let the viewer decide if those beliefs are rational and not in conflict with science or rational thought. Rebuttals and suggestions for future topics along this subject are welcome. I had planned to try to interview Dr. Michael Persinger, but I had to move back to the US to deal with some property issues.

Here's my link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA8W0YdWLYU

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Martin

Over all a good job has a rough draft,  very rough in parts. When he mentions Greengrich & Polkinghorne maybe you should have their photos appear. You should have pointed out to your friend, who called them better scientists then Dawkins;  how does he justify that statement when all three men are in a different feild of science.  Rev.Polkinghorne is a theoretical Physicist and Greengrich is an evangelical Astronomer.  Dawkins is a biologist.  Is he comparing their different sciences as being one better then another or he just favers the theists over the atheist?  If you get a chance ask him if he's read tracts from a religious Biologist, then compare Dawkins work to biblical biology.                                                      At 4:20 Schumacher is describing some theist "make it up has they go along....."   and is clearly ridiculing the idea of not seeing christianity has he does.  Later towards the end his voice and body language are makeing it up has he goes along, watch his final quote "...look at the whole evidence then try your DAMNDEST to see the way the world is."   He has the look of a man who suddenly realized his argument is a load of BS.   At the very least he contradicts himself.                                                                  btw   do you need someone for voice over narration? I work cheep.                   

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched all your videos.

I watched all your videos. Very good. I liked the sci fi movie you made when you were a kid. The music was a little annoying and loud, maybe it's my old age. Dunno.

I enjoyed your rough draft and look forward to a finished product.

I would love to ask your friend, Dr Persinger, if god exists (and he believes in the christian god) then what makes his 2,000+/- religion correct? Who's god is wrong?

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marty

I don't have any input for the topics or content. But if you want my honest opinion your narrative is a little nerdy.  It kinda sounds like you are just reading out of a book with no feeling. Slow down a little and try to sound like this stuff should matter to the listener (or viewer). Throw some of that music from the end in the start or keep it quietly in the background throughout the video. 

Just my opinion. I would probably sound the same way. I'm much better at writing that speaking.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the constructive

Thanks for the constructive criticisms, guys. Very good insights on the interview.Like I said, I did that with no money on Windows Movie Maker, the music was pulled off of a no fee royalty free sites, so there wasn't much to chose from. I would never have attempted such a project so poorly prepared, but this fell in my lap as Ben was lecturing about 2 hours from me at the time. Concerning the comment about my "friend Dr. Persinger", I think you're confused. Dr.Persinger is the scientist in Sudbury, Ontario that has the "God Helmet."

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."