We might not know everything

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
We might not know everything

I know with enough funding, researchers and logic we can figure out any thing...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17675163

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I know

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I know with enough funding, researchers and logic we can figure out any thing...

In general I am with Neil Tyson in that scientists SHOULD not default to a ceiling and say "this is all we can know". But as much as we look to the future for new answers, I think that we will go extinct with a fraction of what is yet to be discovered. But we damned sure should try to figure out as much as we can.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

In general I am with Neil Tyson in that scientists SHOULD not default to a ceiling and say "this is all we can know". But as much as we look to the future for new answers, I think that we will go extinct with a fraction of what is yet to be discovered. But we damned sure should try to figure out as much as we can.

It's exactly why religion fails. It doesn't change. It hit the ceiling over 4,000 years ago

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nah. Religion is still

Nah. Religion is still advancing today. It often doesn't seem like it, stuck as we tend to be with fundies and yec's (not to mention short life spans), but the catholics have accepted evolution and heliocentrism, both in the last few hundred years. And scientology is a significant diversion from religions created previously.

Religion has come a long way in 4000 years. It just has a lot further to go.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Nah. Religion

Vastet wrote:
Nah. Religion is still advancing today. It often doesn't seem like it, stuck as we tend to be with fundies and yec's (not to mention short life spans), but the catholics have accepted evolution and heliocentrism, both in the last few hundred years. And scientology is a significant diversion from religions created previously. Religion has come a long way in 4000 years. It just has a lot further to go.

That's an under-statement.