Hello from Canada.

lesath
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hello from Canada.

I'm a 20-year-old Canadian university student. For me, a universe with a god would be the most unjust and inconceivable: a universe ruled by consciousness is one ruled by scheming, bribery and manipulation, by nepotism and pressure groups,  by whim and favouritism. That the universe has no god is what allows us to exist, to function, to live harmoniously by following the steps necessary to extract the values we want from the world -- according to the rules of reality. If wishing (praying) can make something so, then we have no means to effectively deal with reality except for devoting all of our time to wishing. This has been the state of humanity in the past; specifically, in the Middle Ages. All the praying and wishing that occurred during those dark 1000 years came to nothing, and it was only the rediscovery of rationality (in the form of the works of Aristotle) that made a successful and happy human existence possible. I am glad to have been born in an age where rationality, although not widely accepted in all its forms, is at least known and accessible, where I still have the freedom and education necessary to engage with reality on its own terms -- and not the terms of some meddling tyrant of a deity. I'm here to celebrate the inexistence of god -- and the existence of reality.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, lesath, welcome.Sounds

Hey, lesath, welcome.

Sounds like you'll fit right in.

Your ideas seem very much along my current thinking.

If there were such a powerful being overlooking the Universe, we could know nothing about the ultimate motives of such a being, who could remap our perceived reality at a whim, who could deceive us utterly about what he intended, about the true nature of reality.

We could have no certainty or confidence about what lay ahead of us.

It would be a living nightmare.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! We Canadians are

Welcome!

We Canadians are taking over! Mua ha ha ha ha!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.

Canada is takeing over. I'm in mid-town Mississauga myself, what University are you attending?   So post early and often.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

samchn07
User is offlineOffline
 i am also new to this ,

i am also new to this , and would love to discuss the my experiences .  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Welcome! We

Vastet wrote:
Welcome! We Canadians are taking over! Mua ha ha ha ha!

Ah go play with your Canucks! Or whatever hockey team you root for.  Washington Crapitals rule! Yea I said Crapitals!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
samchn07 wrote: i am also

samchn07 wrote:

i am also new to this , and would love to discuss the my experiences .  

Why does this sound like a letter to Penthouse?

"Dear Penthouse, I met a couple at a bar and then............"

Just being silly, welcome.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome from Saskatchewan (third from the left)! I defected to Canada from the lower 50 provinces about 16 years ago.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Vastet

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Ah go play with your Canucks! Or whatever hockey team you root for.  Washington Crapitals rule! Yea I said Crapitals!

I could introduce you to a friend who loves the Canucks, but I'm an Oiler guy. That's what happens when you live in Edmonton when they had the best team the NHL ever saw. I have to move back so they start winning more cups. They haven't won since I left. Sad

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not really a fan

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Toronto Maple Leafs for me, It might piss you off Brian37 to know they are the richest most valuable franchise in the NHL but it might cheer you up to know they have a worse won/lose record then the Washington first nations NFL team, no Stanley Cup since '67.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

deedee1 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Atheists in Canada

Wish there were more atheist organizations in Canada! 

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to RRS

New folks. Hope you enjoy it.