Newsflash for Religious Folks!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Newsflash for Religious Folks!

Atheists DON'T hate god because we don't believe he exists!  News at eleven.

I was sitting outside of my workplace last week when this young guy probably in his mid-twenties walked up to me and started talking.  He asked me if I was religious.

I thought to myself, "Here we go..."

Anyway, I tell him my story in a nutshell, that I was raised Southern Baptist, believed in it strongly until I was 25, started thinking about inconsistencies in the bible, thought about it for five years, and then realized I couldn't believe in the ridiculousness of religion any longer.

He tells me that he had been an atheist until about eight years ago.  And get this, he actually said that back when he was an atheist that he hated god.

What

The

Fuck

?

How the fuck can you hate something you don't believe exists?

I don't get this.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
You hate GOD!!!!!

It is one of the most irritating things I hear from so-called "christians".  The venom in their voices tells me they know a great deal about "hatred",   and they get very irate when I point out "I have nothing to hate and never learned how"  but good christians and other religios know who and what to hate.

When people assk 'how can you be moral without god'    I just wonder how one can be moral with a god.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:How the fuck

Watcher wrote:

I don't get this.

That's because he's not using the word 'atheist' the way we use it. He's using it to mean someone who 'hates god', or more accurately, 'resents religion, but still basically believes in god'.

When people say, "I used to be an atheist, until I prayed to Jesus and he saved me," they are not talking about lack-of-belief-atheism at all. It's a bullshit way to pretend that they understand non-believers, when they don't.

Two ways I can see to approach this:

1) Ask him what his reasons were for not believing in god during the time he was atheist. He probably won't understand the question, but this can serve as a starting point to drilling into his beliefs.

2) Or, if you want to try out a newer approach I'm going to try the next time I get a chance, try this: "Yeah, I tried that. It just doesn't work for me.  I prayed to Jesus and all that Jazz, and nothing happened. " To which he'll say something along the lines of "You weren't doing it right, you have to open your heart, blah blah blah."

And then, this is the new tactic, you go, "Yeah, man, I know. I tried that and it really didn't work. Seriously. Maybe it worked for you, but not for me. It's too bad, too, cuz I really wanted to get saved, but now I seriously have doubts whether Jesus really is god, or maybe this is just another one of those man-made religions like Islam. You know, I tried Islam, too ,but it didn't work either. I've tried Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, (etc., any religions you can think of that you feel comfortable talking about), and none of them worked. Have you ever tried those ones? No? You should try them. Some of them are really ridiculous, right? Like in Islam, you're supposed to pray five times a day. Ha! That's crazy right? Yeah, I know, Islam is a crazy, dangerous religion, and in any case, I already tried it and it didn't work. So, I tried Christianity, and it didn't work either. Besides, you have to admit, there are some pretty crazy things in Christianity too, right? You know what I mean, like the anti-gay bigotry? What they hell is that all about? Or the cracker turning into Jesus. That's pretty funny, right? Yeah, man, sorry, I'm not interested in that stuff anymore. I gave it up a while ago. I tried em all, and none of them work."

And if he presses the issue, this is the final kicker: "Well, you say it works for you, and I already know it doesn't work for me. And any true religion should work for everybody, right? So since it didn't work for me, I can't believe in it. At the end of the day, if Christianity is true, it should work for anyone who seriously tries it. Right? And I seriously tried it, and it didn't work. So, sorry. Thanks, man, I'm just not interested in that stuff. Tried it. Didn't work."

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well I did make it clear to

Well I did make it clear to him that I never rebelled against god nor was I ever angry at god back when I believed.  I also told him that I never decided to not believe that it just happened.

I pointed out to him that a person can't just decide to believe something.  They need some kind of reason to believe in something.

I discussed contradictory sayings in the bible and he responded that he hadn't read any of them.

So I educated him on a few.  I also discussed, "Hey what about Islam?  You think they're going going to hell.  They think the same thing about you.  How do you KNOW you are right and they are wrong?  Ever think of that?"

Over all it was a pretty calm discussion for about twenty minutes.  Then we shook hands and walked away.

Maybe I gave him a few things to think about.  But hell, if it makes him happy go for it.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Watcher wrote:Atheists DON'T

Watcher wrote:

Atheists DON'T hate god because we don't believe he exists!  News at eleven.

I was sitting outside of my workplace last week when this young guy probably in his mid-twenties walked up to me and started talking.  He asked me if I was religious.

I thought to myself, "Here we go..."

Anyway, I tell him my story in a nutshell, that I was raised Southern Baptist, believed in it strongly until I was 25, started thinking about inconsistencies in the bible, thought about it for five years, and then realized I couldn't believe in the ridiculousness of religion any longer.

He tells me that he had been an atheist until about eight years ago.  And get this, he actually said that back when he was an atheist that he hated god.

What

The

Fuck

?

I don't get this.

He may have been someone who rejected social norms because of the hypocrisy or ideal of rebelling.When I run into this argument what seems to be most likely is that they never left theism, but define atheism as a theist would, not as an atheist would and merely define it as " a rejection of God"

There is a difference between rejecting a god on emotional reasons, and rejecting a god on evidence reasons.

I CAN reject a God purely on emotional reasons. And I would be justified on that alone, but by itself is not the core or best reason to reject a god claim.

So when this idiot claims I hate God, I would, IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF we are assuming existence for argument sake only by default.

What I hate in reality, is that there are fans of such fictional beings who go around claiming these beings are real insisting they are real and have domain over my existence.

But if someone would ask me what I would think of such a being, if proven to be real, with all the disease and crime and war and death, that have never ceased to happen in our species history, I DO HATE GOD, not as a reality, but as a concept.

"God" as a claim has to be the worst invention of humans. It is the biggest clusterfuck superstition that has done nothing to improve the human condition and everything to divide humanity.

So yea. I DO HATE GOD. Just like I would hate the claim that the earth was flat. It may make some feel comfortable but it is a blight on humanity to wallow in such fairy tales.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog