Tolerance

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tolerance

funny email I'm glad I didn't delete wrote:

Tolerance

I am truly perplexed that so many of my friends are against another Mosque being built in Sydney. Australia

I think it should be the goal of every Australian to be tolerant.

Thus the Mosque should be allowed, in an effort to promote tolerance.

That is why I also propose that two nightclubs be opened next door to the Mosque, thereby promoting tolerance from within the Mosque.

We could call one of the clubs, which would be gay, "The Turban Cowboy ", and the other a topless bar called "You Mecca Me Hot."

Next door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork, and adjacent to that an open-pit barbeque pork restaurant, called "Iraq o' Ribs."

Across the street there could be a lingerie store called "Victoria Keeps Nothing Secret", with sexy mannequins in the window modeling the goods.

Next door to the lingerie shop there would be room for an adult sex toy shop, "Koranal Knowledge ", its name in flashing neon lights, and on the other side a liquor store called "Morehammered."

All of this would encourage the Muslims to demonstrate the tolerance they demand of us, so the Mosque problem would be solved.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like it.Brings to mind the

I like it.

Brings to mind the following thoughts:

How tolerant should we be of intolerance?

Is it intolerant to not tolerate intolerance?

Are we being 'narrow-minded' and 'bigoted' if we are insulting and/or hostile to narrow-minded bigots?

All demonstrations of the problems with logic we encounter when we try to refer to attributes of attributes, ie with various forms of self-referential statements.

I also think of a decision of some Islamic council or other to demand the death penalty for someone who insulted Islam by claiming it is barbaric and/or excessively harsh in its punishments for those who offend its 'laws', or something to that effect.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I can only trace this to

I can only trace this to Bill Maher, but the quote "Don't get so tolerance you tolerate intolerance." is a good idea.  Islamic intolerance is only the tip of the iceberg.  Without too much thought into this, I believe there should be a zero tolerance towards intolerance. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I like

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like it.

Are we being 'narrow-minded' and 'bigoted' if we are insulting and/or hostile to narrow-minded bigots?

All demonstrations of the problems with logic we encounter when we try to refer to attributes of attributes, ie with various forms of self-referential statements.

Which leads to the question begging assertions of 'absolutes' of apologists that have been pointed out as far back as in the Euthyphro dilemma, and no doubt in prior thought experiments.

It's not difficult to see why theism was reformed to become monotheistic. With only 1, there can be no discussion, or debate.

Of course this is, and never was a rationalization, and does nothing to solve the problem, the dilemma and cognitive dissonance still stands, which makes theism merely a campaign for 'might makes right'.

IOW, a political campaign for their dictator, over the opposition's dictator.

Kicking the can back to a 'god' offers no explanatory power to make objective 'right or wrong', 'good or evil' distinctions.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like it.

Yep.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Yep.

Count me in, bigoted intolerant old b*tch that I am.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Are we

BobSpence1 wrote:

We might loosely qualify as 'bigoted', and be the furthest thing from 'narrow minded'. Loosely 'bigoted' in the sense that we are critical and against the 'ideas' that people hold, that can be jettisoned by reasoning.

Which would make it difficult to argue that it's 'wrong' or 'bad'  to be 'broad minded' and 'bigoted'.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This really is a key issue in my view

BobSpence1 wrote:

and something that's ignored by advocates of blanket political correctness from within the racial majority - in countries like Britain and Australia at least. Here, opposition to the islamic doctrine is called racism, bigotry or islamophobia in the complete absence of a coherent and equal inquisition of the fundamentals of the belief system criticized.

Personally, if christianity and islam removed the hate crimes, threats and inherent violence and intolerance from their cores I'd be very tolerant of them. But we all know that much of the point of these religions is to create a polarising division in society. When apostates and atheists are to convert or be murdered or convert or be incinerated eternally after their deaths, then blind tolerance is not an option. 

I draw the line at aggressive criticism but I find it galling many outspoken critics of islam must remain anonymous for fear of their lives, while the PC crowd remain oblivious. 

And yeah - that's a bloody funny little piece, the OP.  

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline

BobSpence1 wrote:

I like it.

I also think of a decision of some Islamic council or other to demand the death penalty for someone who insulted Islam by claiming it is barbaric and/or excessively harsh in its punishments for those who offend its 'laws', or something to that effect.

I forgot the guy's name, but the "Godfather's Pizza, former CEO" Said states had the right to refuse the building of a mosque.

WTF? For a black guy old enough to know that white people used the bible to tell them where they could pee and where they could sit at on the bus, he has to be the biggest dip shit in the GOP.

Separation of Church and state isn't either/or. It isn't a theocracy and it isn't despite what nuts like this would sell, a "godless country". All it means is that the state/government cannot favor one religion over another and is supposed to remain neutral on the issue of religion.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I forgot the

Brian37 wrote:

I forgot the guy's name, but the "Godfather's Pizza, former CEO" Said states had the right to refuse the building of a mosque.

WTF? For a black guy old enough to know that white people used the bible to tell them where they could pee and where they could sit at on the bus, he has to be the biggest dip shit in the GOP.

Separation of Church and state isn't either/or. It isn't a theocracy and it isn't despite what nuts like this would sell, a "godless country". All it means is that the state/government cannot favor one religion over another and is supposed to remain neutral on the issue of religion.

Exactly. We can't tell people what they can do or say or whether or not they can come into a country based on what some may find "offensive"

That's a stupid reason to ban something considering people may find this site offensive, or Christianity offensive, and we just gave the right for the government to ban those.

TheAmazingAtheist once said freedom of speech means that sometimes incrediable assholes win.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Personally, if christianity and islam removed the hate crimes, threats and inherent violence and intolerance from their cores I'd be very tolerant of them. But we all know that much of the point of these religions is to create a polarising division in society. When apostates and atheists are to convert or be murdered or convert or be incinerated eternally after their deaths, then blind tolerance is not an option. 

I draw the line at aggressive criticism but I find it galling many outspoken critics of islam must remain anonymous for fear of their lives, while the PC crowd remain oblivious. 

And yeah - that's a bloody funny little piece, the OP.  

My opinion exactly.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno