An official introduction.

rogersherrer
Theist
rogersherrer's picture
User is offlineOffline
An official introduction.

I first heard about this website from a google search that lead me to Kelly's blog. I admire the intelligence and determination from the atheists on this board, and I am excited for some discussions. I converted to Christianity at the age of 16, and still read the works of Dawkins and Hitchens avidly. My favorite apologists are William Lane Craig, Alister McGrath, John Lennox, and I also love the writings of CS Lewis. I'm not here to bitch and condemn like some of the other theists here that I've skimmed over, just here for the company and discussion!

-RS

"Part of the broader task of Christian scholarship is to help create and sustain a cultural milieu in which the gospel can be heard as an intellectually viable option for thinking men and women."
-~William Lane Craig~-

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

If your here to discuss and debate, you have certainly come to the right place. Welcome to the forum.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, and welcome. Intelligent

Hi, and welcome. Intelligent discussions are always great.

I should just say that all those apologists you mention seem to me to be great examples of superficai thinkers, with great style but little substance.

So let the games begin.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
welcome to the forum.

welcome to the forum.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

rogersherrer
Theist
rogersherrer's picture
User is offlineOffline
 thank you very much guys!

thank you very much guys! I'm eager to get started. 

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Roger.

Pleased to meet and look forward to seeing you around. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
rogersherrer wrote: I first

rogersherrer wrote:

I first heard about this website from a google search that lead me to Kelly's blog. I admire the intelligence and determination from the atheists on this board, and I am excited for some discussions. I converted to Christianity at the age of 16, and still read the works of Dawkins and Hitchens avidly. My favorite apologists are William Lane Craig, Alister McGrath, John Lennox, and I also love the writings of CS Lewis. I'm not here to bitch and condemn like some of the other theists here that I've skimmed over, just here for the company and discussion!

-RS

I am going to give you the same speech I give to new theists who come to this board.

How long you stay depends upon your ability to accept that this is an atheist board. It also depends on you treating us as individuals. It also depends you you learning to separate you, yourself, from the claims you make. Liking you or not liking you is not our focus here. We will attack your claims and even blaspheme and ridicule your claims. If you came here to avoid "conflict", you are in the wrong place.

Many atheists and theists who post here prefer a library setting. If that is what you want, this site does have a "Kill em with kindness" section. But, if you post elsewhere the rules in that section do not apply in the others.

Your claims do not deserve respect just because we, from a constitutional standpoint, agree with your lawful right to make any claim on any subject you wish. We can and will attack any claim that you utter. AND not because we hate you personally, but because we demand a high level of scrutiny.

You are more than welcome to stay, but like I said. Your enjoyment depends on YOU and your attitude here. Do not expect all of us to approach or respond to you in the same manner. Some of us like the library, and others here don't mind the verbal boxing ring.

Making claims we find absurd doesn't mean we hate you personally, it merely means we don't find the claim credible. If you do not prove your claims, we wont hate you, we simply will not adapt your position.

Your claims will be beaten up and thrashed, be warned. We treat all super natural claims of any label of god, and even new age superstitions the same, the label doesn't matter to us, and we have battled it out with Muslims and Jews and even pantheists.

Good luck, just don't expect a utopia here, and don't expect your claims to be treated with kid gloves. We don't give other labels of religion a pass "just because" and we wont give any of your claims a pass either. It is nothing personal, but we don't take anyone's word for it. We have a high demand for evidence.

I look forward to going toe to toe with you if you wish, but do not expect Mr Rogers cotton candy conversations here. We do get blunt and blasphemous.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

rogersherrer
Theist
rogersherrer's picture
User is offlineOffline
 thank you very much once

thank you very much once again for the greetings, and your points are noted Brian. While I'm not necessarily saying I want to cherry pick everything and feel that my beliefs are off limits for criticism (if that was the case I clearly would not be here), I think it's entirely possible to get along with everybody here even if they think my God is the equivalent of Humpty Dumpty on Pluto. Discussions and disagreements from the opposite side helps me out a lot, so I certainly don't feel offended or upset because somebody sees things differently. I hope to be here awhile, and I'm eager to address the points!

"Part of the broader task of Christian scholarship is to help create and sustain a cultural milieu in which the gospel can be heard as an intellectually viable option for thinking men and women."
-~William Lane Craig~-

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cool, welcome, Roger!

Cool, welcome, Roger!