There's Hope For Christians This Easter

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's Hope For Christians This Easter

Functioning Synapse Created Using Carbon Nanotubes: Brain Prostheses Possible

ScienceDaily (Apr. 22, 2011) — Engineering researchers the University of Southern California have made a significant breakthrough in the use of nanotechnologies for the construction of a synthetic brain. They have built a carbon nanotube synapse circuit whose behavior in tests reproduces the function of a neuron, the building block of the brain. The prosthetic brains could be used to replace malfunctioning brain components in humans suffering from delusions, including christians.

The team, which was led by Professor Alice Parker and Professor Chongwu Zhou in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering Ming Hsieh Department of Electrical Engineering, used an interdisciplinary approach combining circuit design with nanotechnology to address the complex problem of capturing brain function.

In a paper published in the proceedings of the IEEE/NIH 2011 Life Science Systems and Applications Workshop in April 2011, the Viterbi team detailed how they were able to use carbon nanotubes to create a synapse.

Carbon nanotubes are molecular carbon structures that are extremely small, with a diameter a million times smaller than a pencil point. These nanotubes can be used in electronic circuits, acting as metallic conductors or semiconductors.

"This is a necessary first step in the process," said Parker, who began the looking at the possibility of developing a synthetic brain in 2006. "We wanted to answer the question: Can you build a circuit that would act like a neuron? The next step is even more complex. How can we build structures out of these circuits that mimic the function of the brain, which has 100 billion neurons and 10,000 synapses per neuron?"

Parker emphasized that the actual development of a synthetic brain, or even a functional brain area is decades away, and she said the next hurdle for the research centers on reproducing brain plasticity in the circuits.

The human brain continually produces new neurons, makes new connections and adapts throughout life, and creating this process through analog circuits will be a monumental task, according to Parker.

She believes the ongoing research of understanding the process of human intelligence could have long-term implications for everything from developing prosthetic nanotechnology that would heal traumatic brain injuries to developing intelligent, safe cars that would protect drivers in bold new ways.

For Jonathan Joshi, a USC Viterbi Ph.D. student who is a co-author of the paper, the interdisciplinary approach to the problem was key to the initial progress. Joshi said that working with Zhou and his group of nanotechnology researchers provided the ideal dynamic of circuit technology and nanotechnology.

"The interdisciplinary approach is the only approach that will lead to a solution. We need more than one type of engineer working on this solution," said Joshi. "We should constantly be in search of new technologies to solve this problem."

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 That is awesome. When I

That is awesome. When I think about the technology that we are probably going to have over the next 30-40 years , it blows my mind. Something like this could lead to yet another technology revolution. We picked a good time to be alive. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Did it honestly say "humans

Did it honestly say "humans suffering from delusions, including christians."?
Good article, though Laughing out loud Thanks.

Neoatheist
atheist
Neoatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Beyond Saving,

I agree with Beyond Saving, but I also get a little bit depressed when I see things like this, because I feel as though I was born too late to really take advantage of the benefits of some of these new technological advances. I mean, I feel like just after I die they will discover a way to significantly extend the natural life span. It's kind of depressing actually.

If you use the bible as your moral compass, chances are you're lost.

When Jesus said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" he wasn't saying that people shouldn't be stoned. He was requesting the first pitch.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Neoatheist wrote:I agree

Neoatheist wrote:

I agree with Beyond Saving, but I also get a little bit depressed when I see things like this, because I feel as though I was born too late to really take advantage of the benefits of some of these new technological advances. I mean, I feel like just after I die they will discover a way to significantly extend the natural life span. It's kind of depressing actually.

You're depressed about being too old?  pffffftt.................

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Neoatheist wrote:I agree

Neoatheist wrote:

http://winteryknight.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/adult-stem-cells-used-to-grow-a-new-heart/

It's gettin there, when we can have all new organs I suspect that will extend life though I also suspect that by the time I hit 80-90 (if I make it that long) I'll be ready to go either way, my little part will be played out and I'll be bored and ready to go back to that most basic thing.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Neoatheist
atheist
Neoatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm actually only 25. I'm

I'm actually only 25. I'm depressed because I believe that this is still too old (if only just) to take full advantage of the revolution of health that we are obviously only on the cusp of.

If you use the bible as your moral compass, chances are you're lost.

When Jesus said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" he wasn't saying that people shouldn't be stoned. He was requesting the first pitch.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Neoatheist wrote:I'm

Neoatheist wrote:

I'm actually only 25. I'm depressed because I believe that this is still too old (if only just) to take full advantage of the revolution of health that we are obviously only on the cusp of.

I just turned 60.  My youngest son is 33.  If they can get their act together with some of this stuff before you are 50, maybe I'll still be around to get in on some of it. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

earl23
User is offlineOffline
Its awesome.

Its awesome.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: That

Beyond Saving wrote:

That is awesome. When I think about the technology that we are probably going to have over the next 30-40 years , it blows my mind. Something like this could lead to yet another technology revolution. We picked a good time to be alive. 

I'll believe it when I get my flying car and video phone that I can wear on my wrist.

I've toyed with building an ultralight, but there's nowhere near my house I could take off and land.  IPv6 still hasn't been deployed and the IPv4 address space is so full it isn't funny.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:I'll

FurryCatHerder wrote:

I'll believe it when I get my flying car and video phone that I can wear on my wrist.

I've toyed with building an ultralight, but there's nowhere near my house I could take off and land.  IPv6 still hasn't been deployed and the IPv4 address space is so full it isn't funny.

I believe IPv4 address space is competely exhausted.

However, they have already deployed IPv6.

Quote:

IPv6 has been implemented on all major operating systems in use in commercial, business, and home consumer environments. Since 2008, the domain name system can be used in IPv6 as major web sites like Google, although sometimes with extra configuration[55]. IPv6 was first used in a major world event during the 2008 Summer Olympic Games, the largest showcase of IPv6 technology since the inception of IPv6. Countries like China or the Federal U.S. Government are also starting to require support for IPv6 on their equipment. Finally, modern cellular telephone specifications mandate IPv6 operation and deprecate IPv4 as an optional capability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci