Sunday Alcohol Sales In Georgia

Stacy
atheist
Stacy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sunday Alcohol Sales In Georgia

Hi Fellow Atheists... just wanted to let everyone know we scored a great victory in the Georgia state senate yesterday. They passed a bill to allow local referendums on Sunday Package Sales (as it stands now, you cannot purchase beer, wine or liquor for home consumption on Sundays here - you can, however, go to a bar and drink yourself silly after 12pm). Now it goes to our state house to approve. If we have any Georgia folks on here (or anyone else who would find this topic interesting), I encourage you to join facebook.com/sundaysales to help in the fight for separation of church and state - even in a state like Georgia!! It's looking good, believe it or not!!

I have posted on here a few times before - most recently a post about atheists with children at Christmas I believe - under a name having something to do with Gypsy I think - but it's been a while and at this point I'd rather just go with my name. Been a big fan of RRS for years. Anyway, if you want to look this up, the current bill is SB-10.

We sure would love any support you guys are willing to provide on this issue. Certainly anyone in Georgia is encouraged to call or write their House Reps in support of this bill. Yes, I am shamelessly promoting my right to buy Sunday beer ON Sunday, I admit it. I hope some of you will benefit by the passage of this bill as well!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hello Stacey,   I just

Hello Stacey,

I just got back from baring it up on Saint pat's at an Irish place. Apart from my brother, I was the only one wearing a kilt. Like WTF on that but whatever.

Anyway on topic, we are looking at getting that same thing up here in CT soon. We have had one guy sitting on a commission for like twenty years who has been to sole voice for no booze on Sunday and he just got pulled to serve on some special governor's committee for something. I don't know what it is and I really don't care. The point is that we should be able to get our blue laws pulled this time around.

Cheers!

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.Yay

Welcome to the forum.

Yay alcohol.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Hello Stacey,

I just got back from baring it up on Saint pat's at an Irish place. Apart from my brother, I was the only one wearing a kilt. Like WTF on that but whatever.

Anyway on topic, we are looking at getting that same thing up here in CT soon. We have had one guy sitting on a commission for like twenty years who has been to sole voice for no booze on Sunday and he just got pulled to serve on some special governor's committee for something. I don't know what it is and I really don't care. The point is that we should be able to get our blue laws pulled this time around.

Cheers!

You in a kilt, why am I not surprised? I could just see you shouting "Was it over when the Germans bombed Perl Harbor, hell no, and it aint over now" (line in the movie Animal House)

(Just being silly)

I used to be a fan of dressing up for Halloween going out to parties. One year I dressed up as  B-52(shooter drink) The Idea was that you dress up as your favorite drink(colors in the drink). I made mine too obvious. It was home made. I had propellers made of foil, and I stapled a deck of Bicycle cards shaped a "B" on the front and "52" on the back. It looked stupid. Still had fun at the party.

As far as blue laws. What is so stupid is that you can buy the booze on another day and still drink it at home on Sunday. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Or in the case of Indiana,

Or in the case of Indiana, you can buy it on Sunday as long as you buy it from a winery or a microbrewery.

Is it just me or is a microbrewery just a few steps above having a still out back?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Good luck, those damn

Good luck, those damn Sunday laws are a pain in the ass. Here in Ohio we don't have a state law, but some counties and townships have local laws. I took a girl out to eat at an Italian restaurant that had a rather impressive wine list for such a small place and when I ordered a bottle the waitress informed me that they couldn't serve wine on Sunday. WTF, who eats in an Italian restaurant on Sunday without drinking wine? Italian food and red wine go hand in hand. 

That is why I prefer to eat out in Kentucky where not only can I drink whatever I want with my meal, I can smoke a cigar afterwards as well. Although, even in KY the anti-smoking dictators are taking over, one county at a time. I get so tired of people who apparently have so much extra time that they worry about someone smoking in a CIGAR BAR, someone stripping in a STRIP CLUB, someone buying booze from a LIQUOR STORE or someone playing poker at a POKER CLUB. If you don't like smoking, naked women, booze, or gambling I would recommend not going to those establishments. Go live your life elsewhere. I don't go to your church because it offends me, but I don't seek to ban it, I simply exercise my freedom to not go there. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You can still smoke

You can still smoke indoors in KY? I may have to move there.

Locally, there is one bar in town that you are allowed to smoke in and that is an RC club.

Well, that is not absolutely true. Many bars have an outdoor area where you can smoke and drink at the same time. The thing that I fail to see is that any bar that was not a total dive (yay for dives btw) had smoking built into the HVAC system before the ban. Most bars, if they had any event that merited balloons, you would see the balloons clustered up against wherever the HVAC system drew from.

I really feel sorry for the bars that opened up in the year before the ban went into effect, as they had to spend money on the HVAC system and now have to spend money on maintaining the damned thing.

Still, as a smoker, I am only allowed to go to bars where I can smoke. It is good business for those bars but bad business for the bars that can't handle the 20% of the general population that still do the deed.

I am reasonably sure that there is a civil rights issue here but I don't know what the actual court argument would be.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

I am reasonably sure that there is a civil rights issue here but I don't know what the actual court argument would be.

Your right to smoke vs my right to have a beer without inhaling smoke.  Me trampling your rights?  You trampling my rights?  I don't go to bars where people smoke.  Problem is, without an outright ban, there are almost no bars without smoke.  And I don't care how fancy the hvac system is - it isn't good enough. 

The reason I never got into smoking is I can't stand the smell or taste.  Don't know how other people can. 

Here in Portland, smoking was banned in most public places except bars until just recently.  Only the upscale bars  - as in yuppieville - were voluntarily smoke free.  The local bar owners were crying about losing money until they saw more people coming back into their bars that didn't reek of stale tobacco.  Now if they could just get the stale beer and urine and vomit odors out of the carpet, I just might go to some of the "dives".

80% don't smoke - 20% do - do the math.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

You can still smoke indoors in KY? I may have to move there.

In some areas. I wouldn't be too hasty to move though, because there has been a statewide movement to ban smoking indoors. The anti-smoking zealots are everywhere. But, since it isn't that much farther for me to drive when I am in Cincinnati, I hop across the border from time to time. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Answers in Gene

cj wrote:

Your right to smoke vs my right to have a beer without inhaling smoke.  Me trampling your rights?  You trampling my rights?  I don't go to bars where people smoke.  Problem is, without an outright ban, there are almost no bars without smoke.  And I don't care how fancy the hvac system is - it isn't good enough. 

The reason I never got into smoking is I can't stand the smell or taste.  Don't know how other people can. 

Here in Portland, smoking was banned in most public places except bars until just recently.  Only the upscale bars  - as in yuppieville - were voluntarily smoke free.  The local bar owners were crying about losing money until they saw more people coming back into their bars that didn't reek of stale tobacco.  Now if they could just get the stale beer and urine and vomit odors out of the carpet, I just might go to some of the "dives".

80% don't smoke - 20% do - do the math.

If there is such high demand for non-smoking bars why don't you just open one rather than using government force? If you are drawing 80% of the bar going population you should be making a lot more money. Why can't I go to say Anthony's Cigar Bar and smoke a cigar? It says cigar bar right in the title, they sell cigars there, their main attractant is their cigars. Now, with the Ohio smoking ban, smokers (virtually EVERYONE who goes there) are relegated onto a small patio, while the inside bar remains virtually empty. Ironically, all of the horrible cigar smoke that used to be contained inside with the smokers and went through a very expensive HVAC system, is now going freely into the air, probably going to pollute the lungs of some innocent passerby. No doubt medical studies will tell us that the kid walking on the street in front of the bar has a 0.0000001% increased chance of cancer because of the smokers. 

If you don't like being around smoking, don't go there. No one is using force to make you go into an establishment that permits smoking. The anti-smoking zealots ARE using force to prevent me from smoking inside a bar where the owner and employees have no problems with it. If you think there are not enough non-smoking bars to cater to the number of non-smokers, I suggest you invest in a bar and make some money. Call it Anthony's Non-Smoking, No Urine, No Vomit, Fresh Beer Smelling Bar and advertise that no one who smells like smoke, urine, stale beer or vomit is allowed through the door. Somehow I think that is a failing business investment.   

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:If you

Beyond Saving wrote:

If you don't like being around smoking, don't go there. No one is using force to make you go into an establishment that permits smoking. The anti-smoking zealots ARE using force to prevent me from smoking inside a bar where the owner and employees have no problems with it. If you think there are not enough non-smoking bars to cater to the number of non-smokers, I suggest you invest in a bar and make some money. Call it Anthony's Non-Smoking, No Urine, No Vomit, Fresh Beer Smelling Bar and advertise that no one who smells like smoke, urine, stale beer or vomit is allowed through the door. Somehow I think that is a failing business investment.   

I wouldn't make a dime because that is now the condition of every bar in Portland, OR. 

I don't know if there is an exception in the law for the tobacco stores locally.  I would think so - the ones I drive by have big signs about their relaxing smoking bars.  I don't go in because I have no desire to purchase tobacco products.  Easy.

Business men are generally the most conservative people I know.  And I have known a few - my family owns a business and I grew up in it.  My father-in-law owned a business and my husband grew up in it.  Small business people have a tendency to start up with a fresh idea and then hang onto the model way beyond the time to let it go.

So many bars are owned by the people who started them.  And they have a model - booze and tobacco.  They got left behind when many people quit smoking.  Business fell off - so instead of changing their model, they clung to what they knew best.  Changing the law forces them to change their model - and then they can see their fears were groundless as their clientele increases.  Because they are now smoke free.  Though I have heard a few long for the days of fewer customers who all reek of smoke.

I have no problem with you killing yourself.  And stinking.  I just am unsympathetic to your "problem".

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:I wouldn't make a

cj wrote:

I wouldn't make a dime because that is now the condition of every bar in Portland, OR. 

I don't know if there is an exception in the law for the tobacco stores locally.  I would think so - the ones I drive by have big signs about their relaxing smoking bars.  I don't go in because I have no desire to purchase tobacco products.  Easy.

Business men are generally the most conservative people I know.  And I have known a few - my family owns a business and I grew up in it.  My father-in-law owned a business and my husband grew up in it.  Small business people have a tendency to start up with a fresh idea and then hang onto the model way beyond the time to let it go.

So many bars are owned by the people who started them.  And they have a model - booze and tobacco.  They got left behind when many people quit smoking.  Business fell off - so instead of changing their model, they clung to what they knew best.  Changing the law forces them to change their model - and then they can see their fears were groundless as their clientele increases.  Because they are now smoke free.  Though I have heard a few long for the days of fewer customers who all reek of smoke.

I have no problem with you killing yourself.  And stinking.  I just am unsympathetic to your "problem".

I meant before the anti-smoking laws were passed. Do some businesses resist change? Yes. And that is where money making opportunities are. When a current industry is not changing to meet a changing demand, the perceptive business owner can make a killing by being the first to change. Once that person starts making massive profits the others will follow suit. Why do you feel a need to use government force to make businesses change their model? It seems foolish to me to spend so much money pushing a smoking ban if there is so much money to be made by making a non-smoking bar.

Bars in Cincinnati have experienced declines in their client having lost an estimated $100 million dollars to Kentucky bars. Obviously, a smoking ban will have little effect on a bars revenue if all bars within driving distance are also under the ban. People still drink and when they don't have the option within a reasonable distance, they will drink at a non-smoking bar. When they do have a choice, many will choose to drive. No big deal if you are a bar that caters to a sector of the population that doesn't smoke a lot, you might even gain customers. A huge deal if you happen to own Anthony's Cigar Bar. 

I simply don't understand why people can't accept that not everyone wants to go to the same kind of bar. Some people want places with no smoking, some people want places that allow smoking. Why not allow the owners to decide what segment of business they want? Why do you insist everyone has to be in the same kind of bar you are in? And that goes for any other business that wants to allow or not allow smoking. I'm sure you would quickly see it as absurd if I proposed a law requiring that people be allowed to smoke in a bar. Why don't you see the absurdity of banning smoking in a bar? If 20% of us want to go to a bar that allows smoking, why not let us?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I meant

Beyond Saving wrote:

I meant before the anti-smoking laws were passed. Do some businesses resist change? Yes. And that is where money making opportunities are. When a current industry is not changing to meet a changing demand, the perceptive business owner can make a killing by being the first to change. Once that person starts making massive profits the others will follow suit. Why do you feel a need to use government force to make businesses change their model? It seems foolish to me to spend so much money pushing a smoking ban if there is so much money to be made by making a non-smoking bar.

Let's talk change for a moment.  I see it a lot, being in IT.  IT gets approval to upgrade the operating system on the company workstations.  IT is feeling a little desperate as the version of the OS the company is running is no longer supported.  No upgrades, no patches, nada - leaving the entire network vulnerable to the latest malware.  So - big announcements, meetings, preparing the users for change.  "My data will be lost!"  "I can't afford the 1/2 day it will take my computer to get upgraded.  I need to work!"  "The company will be hosed because my data is so important and if I don't have access for just 5 minutes - your job is history!"  And so on.  We could call this anecdotal evidence if you wish, but I have seen it every upgrade I have participated in for 20 years.  And there are plenty of articles on the IT tech sites about preparing your users for change.  People resist change strongly.

Different topic.  I have mentioned before that I have been the only female technical person hired at a company.  I have also known people who were the first black person, first non-Protestant person, first man in that position, first pick a few other types.  Okay.  When the non-discrimination act was passed I overheard conversations about how hard was it going to be for the black/one-eyed/Jew/female/Hispanic/Middle Eastern/Asian/male/etc person was going to fit in.  How awful it would be for everyone to have to watch their language.  How the person could not possibly be competent in their field.  People don't like and don't want change.  It has to be forced on a lot of people.

There are notable exceptions.  I am not intending to generalize to every one.  Though we all probably can think of at least one area of our lives we want to never change. 

PS for the discrimination laws - maybe parts could be rescinded as it seems people have begun to accept that it is not a white male world.  But I still hear about how "they" won't fit into "our" business model so I think any changes should be thought through carefully.

Beyond Saving wrote:

Bars in Cincinnati have experienced declines in their client having lost an estimated $100 million dollars to Kentucky bars. Obviously, a smoking ban will have little effect on a bars revenue if all bars within driving distance are also under the ban. People still drink and when they don't have the option within a reasonable distance, they will drink at a non-smoking bar. When they do have a choice, many will choose to drive. No big deal if you are a bar that caters to a sector of the population that doesn't smoke a lot, you might even gain customers. A huge deal if you happen to own Anthony's Cigar Bar. 

I simply don't understand why people can't accept that not everyone wants to go to the same kind of bar. Some people want places with no smoking, some people want places that allow smoking. Why not allow the owners to decide what segment of business they want? Why do you insist everyone has to be in the same kind of bar you are in? And that goes for any other business that wants to allow or not allow smoking. I'm sure you would quickly see it as absurd if I proposed a law requiring that people be allowed to smoke in a bar. Why don't you see the absurdity of banning smoking in a bar? If 20% of us want to go to a bar that allows smoking, why not let us?

I can see where if you have a smoking location close by, smokers would make the trip.  Apparently Oregon and Washington casinos on the reservations are exempt, but I don't believe smokers are rushing to drink and gamble at them anymore than the non-smokers are.  And some of them are pretty close to Portland, and I know of plenty of people who make day trips.  And I know lots of smokers who make the trip to the nearest res to buy their smokes as well.

I'm still trying to scare up some sympathy for your problem.  Not having much luck.