If God exists, then she must be an atheist

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
If God exists, then she must be an atheist

Let's strip away the religion, scripture, etc... and start off with the immutable laws of physics. I personally agree with Hawking that the laws of physics came from nothing and nothing can violate those laws. But for the sake of argument (and to be  facetious), let's examine the notion that a God created the laws of physics which culminated in the big bang and after 15 billion years, us. Such a being would not believe in a higher power. Otherwise that being would no longer be God. All this being would believe in is its own existence and the sequelae of the laws of physics ie. the universe. This being would have to be an atheist no different from us. We accept our own existence and the universe governed by physical laws.

So, if God exists then we should welcome her with open arms (and open legs maybe?) to Rational Responders as a fellow atheist.

Sincerely,

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
But how would she know that

But how would she know that she is really God? Perhaps she would wonder sometimes if she was just being delusional in thinking there is no higher power.

I mean look at all the people that think they are God. So I think she would be an agnostic.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

WasitacatisaW
atheist
WasitacatisaW's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe that in order to

I believe that in order to even contemplate the idea of a "creator," one must be in a state of time that moves in a linear fashion. If there was a god, I don't believe this god would have the same cognitive processes as us, having no time. With no time there is no creation, or ending. Therefore it would be a fundamental impossibility for a god to even consider his creation, for he exists in a higher assortment of dimensions.

So whether or not god thinks of itself as a theist or atheist is irrelevant.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
WasitacatisaW wrote:I

WasitacatisaW wrote:

I believe that in order to even contemplate the idea of a "creator," one must be in a state of time that moves in a linear fashion. If there was a god, I don't believe this god would have the same cognitive processes as us, having no time. With no time there is no creation, or ending. Therefore it would be a fundamental impossibility for a god to even consider his creation, for he exists in a higher assortment of dimensions.

With that many assumptions and if statements I'm honestly not sure how you could contemplate anything about a deity.

I think there has to be an assumption at some point that a deity is knowable, otherwise you can't even talk about it.

Considering the thought process of a being that exists outside of causation is one such event.  The term 'outside of linear time' isn't even coherent, so you can't talk about it.  'Higher assortment of dimensions' would seem to fall under the same category.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad

mellestad wrote:

WasitacatisaW wrote:

With that many assumptions and if statements I'm honestly not sure how you could contemplate anything about a deity.

I think there has to be an assumption at some point that a deity is knowable, otherwise you can't even talk about it.

Considering the thought process of a being that exists outside of causation is one such event.  The term 'outside of linear time' isn't even coherent, so you can't talk about it.  'Higher assortment of dimensions' would seem to fall under the same category.

I think that you are right.  But there was a movement in Christian Theology called neo-orthodoxy. The big daddy of the movement was Karl Barth. For him god was completely other.

Wiki:

Barth tries to recover the Doctrine of the Trinity in theology from its putative loss in liberalism. His argument follows from the idea that God is the object of God’s own self-knowledge, and revelation in the Bible means the self-unveiling to humanity of the God who cannot be discovered by humanity simply through its own intuition.

What expressions we used — in part taken over and in part newly invented! — above all, the famous ‘wholly other’ breaking in upon us ‘perpendicularly from above,’ the not less famous ‘infinite qualitative distinction’ between God and man, the vacuum, the mathematical point, and the tangent in which alone they must meet.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

WasitacatisaW
atheist
WasitacatisaW's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad

mellestad wrote:

WasitacatisaW wrote:

That's pretty much what I was poking at. I'm such an extreme Atheist that I don't even give Theists the time of day to describe the nature of their "God," simply because this God would have to exist in a higher dimension, with a COMPLETELY different perspective of time. So any discussion about what God might think, be, or decide is a discussion where the answers could only come to one who has a higher-dimensional cognitive capability.